SOT: Preamp suggestions?

Danhedonia

• Members

Have a home studio set up with NON computer desk; looking for suggestions for a mic preamp <$300. My beloved PreSonus Blue (mark I) died on me, and I just want something that will do:

* leveling

* toggle phantom power

* nice and clean and quiet

* minimal processing

* XLR out preferred

I don't need USB and/or MIDI.

Anybody using / see anything they like?

Check out the FMR Audio RNP. It's the best mic pre out there for under $500 that I'm aware of. However, it's not a "leveler", and most mic preamps don't have compression or leveling built in... for that, check out the FMR Audio RNLA (Really Nice Leveling Amp), which is another winner from FMR Audio... but it's not a mic preamp; you'd still need the RNP to go with it if you must have both types of devices.

• Members
Have a home studio set up with NON computer desk; looking for suggestions for a mic preamp <$300. My beloved PreSonus Blue (mark I) died on me, and I just want something that will do:

* leveling

* toggle phantom power

* nice and clean and quiet

* minimal processing

* XLR out preferred

I don't need USB and/or MIDI.

Anybody using / see anything they like?

By leveling do you mean compression or just setting the level?

• Members
"Just setting the level..." - you know' date=' I didn't think of it that way - I'll bet you're right and that's what he meant; it probably was just misunderstanding on my part. :o[/quote']

At first I thought the same, but then when I reread it I thought maybe he is just looking for a preamp and not a channel strip.

• Members

I honestly don't care about format / power requirements. I'm handy with that stuff. And by leveling, I originally meant a range of -20 to +40db minimum, but on 2nd thought it'd be nice if it had some compression, though not essential (have multiple compressors appropriate for vox).

Phil, bless you re: the really good preamp. Reality is life changes made me abandon the six figure career and get paid as a first year teacher. So - $475 is like a week's pay, and my wife is still working on her degree. Belt got cinched way tight. And I'm recording NOW.

So, I know PreSonus stuff pretty well - what can people tell me about Focusrite? And if I find another 200k, I will not be so dumb as to ignore Phil's advice.

• 2 months later...

I have not had a chance to review any of the Warm Audio stuff yet myself, but want to. They have a preamp based on the API 312 that's supposed to be really good (and I LOVE my API 312's), as well as an 1176 clone they just started selling recently for way less than you can get one anywhere else... and I've generally read good reports about them.

Archived