Contemplating a new guitar build.

Trick Fall

• Members

I'm only just starting to think about this, but I'm tempted to have a new Cabronista style tele built. I'm thinking TV Jones TArmond in the neck and a TV Jones Filtertron in the bridge. I'd definitely go with a maple neck with vintage radius and frets. I'm thinking about colors and would like to do something a little different. I really like some of the "flat" colors you see on rat rods and think it would be cool to do something in that vein. I'd also be curious to hear thoughts on choice of wood for the body.

• Members

Thanks Phil, I think Alder might be in order then. Do you know which is lighter? I wouldn't mind a lighter guitar. I was thinking of maybe a steel grey or blue gray, or maybe something along the lines of Dakota red, but I'm open to suggestions. Pickguard must be black though.

A matte dakota red would look pretty striking IMHO.

As far as which wood is lighter, it really depends on the individual piece of wood. Solid, one-piece bodies in either are somewhat rare anymore; they're usually done with two pieces glued together. If you get a really nice swamp ash body, it can be very light, but I've seen plenty of alder Tele bodies that were under four pounds too.

Did you have a source for the body in mind?

• Members

• Members

Thanks for the link those look cool.

My brother in law is a luthier so I will probably ask him to make the guitar. He'll make the body and neck from scratch. What do you think of the pickup choices?

I have no objections to your pickup choices. :D Actually, I think that combination would sound really good in a Cabronita. :)

I watch their auctions a lot... I've been very tempted to buy a body from them on more than one occasion. I think he's a bit heavy-handed with the heavier relic jobs, but his mid to light reliced bodies look really good from the auction pictures. If I get one of their bodies, I'd want to specify the amount of relicing.

Archived