Photography people, please halp.

• Members

So I'm currently in the graphics/web design program at my school and I'm going to need a camera. I don't know much about cameras at all other than my iPhone has one built in. The requirements of the camera as listed in the syllabus are

A digital single lens reflex camera with interchangeable lenses and manually adjustable aperture and shutter speed controls. This camera must have:

A - at least an APS-C sized sensor (full frame not required)

B - at least an 8 megapixel resolution

C - the ability to produce images in RAW file format

D - a basic zoom lens that is capable of producing wide-angle and short telephoto images. Most of this can be covered with a basic kit lens.

It seems like the basic entry level cameras for this are the Canon EOS Rebel and the Nikon D3200. Is that correct? I don't want to buy something {censored}ty as I'll be using it for more than a couple classes, but I'm also not a photography major and I'm pretty poor. I would love any input!

• Members

I would read the reviews of for the models you are thinking of on dpreview.com and also check there to see if they are being updated soon. Canon and Nikon are in a lot of the ways the obvious and smart choices, but I always like Pentax so you might want to take a look at their offerings. I would also recommend pricing whatever you decide to go with at B&H Photo. They are a reputable dealer and the photography place in NYC with an actual physical store. I've personally bought a bunch of gear from them and the company I work for buys about 5k a month worth of video stuff from them.

• Members

Read the reviews at dpreview, definitely, but look at Canon and Nikon's cameras from a couple of years ago. There should be tons on ebay for a lot less than you're going to pay new even for an entry level camera, and they'll still be well within the specs your course stipulates.

Hell, my seven-year-old DSLR exceeds those specs.

• Members

I used the Canon t2i for a little more than 2 years, bought a Nikon d7100 last year and that's what I'm still using currently.

It's amazing what you can get now for cheap.

Any of the Canon rebels (t2i forward) would be great/more than enough for your usage.

For Nikon I'd recomend jumping up to the d5200 or d5300 or a used d7000. All are awesome cameras.

The biggest difference is the feel and menu systems of the cameras and the looks they produce.

Go to a store where you can hold them in your hands. Find out if you like Canon or Nikon. Go from there

Hey Travis, I'm not up to speed on the latest photography gear, but a good friend of mine is a wold-class expert, and I suspect he can give you some very useful tips insofar as what gear to get to maximize your bang for the bucks.

His name is Ken. Here's a link to a thread he recently put up.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Forums_General/acapella-50/31210357-my-summer-in-photos

Go check it out. You'll be impressed. :) And then drop Ken a PM and tell him I sent you, and ask what camera he recommends on a budget for what you want to do. He'll steer you straight. :)

Archived