Need advice on a multi-effect unit

IBZgtrs

• Members

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area. Plz feel free to move the question if necessary & sorry for the book...I'm afraid to leave-out details :-)

Anywhoo....been playing almost 30 years...somewhat familiar w/ multi-efx but not the new stuff. I want to describe my rig & what I'd like to change.had all the efx you can name.

Started w/ the BCB6 Boss board, moved-on to the ADA MP1 when it came out & the last efx rig I used was my Roland GP-8.

I now try to use very little: I have a Crate GFX-212 w/ slight chorus (almost always on). It affords me a nice clean channel, a good semi-dist rock channel & a separate boost channel for more volume & sustaining notes during solos ( I do a lot of "holding out the note" stuff). With my little board I can do almost anything from weddings to metal or adult (light) rock.

Furman SPB-8C board w/:

--Sennheiser Ew300 xmitter

--a cheap delay pedal

--Boss Tremolo, OD-1 & tuner pedals

--mic-splitter (I plug the sound-man's cable into output A of my splitter, & output B goes to my Sennheiser xmitter to my in-ears).

Problem:

We play to a click-track...one song requires a specific tremolo setting so I had to TAPE the friggin' knobs to the correct tempo.Same w/ the delay...but there are other songs I'd like to use these effects set differently.

Rather than get new delay & trem pedals, I'm interested in a multi-effects unit w/ a small-enough footprint to fit in the space of my 3 pedals.

I do NOT want to "model" amps or do the USB, drum-loop, plug your ipod in, etc stuff. All I want is to find a way to make a few patches that will let me replace the delay, OD1 & tremolo pedals in a decent sounding multi-effects unit (I,e. was looking at the VOX stomplabs. the Digitech RP pedals, Zoom, Boss MEs, etc).

They all seem to do WAY more than I want, & if they're anything like programming the MP1 or GP8, it's not something fun to do on-stage.

Would be nice to have the option to clone patches & just have variations in the delay, tremolo & crunch with something EZ & intuitive if it exists yet...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thks!

• Members

You should definitely check out the M9. I would also check out the Zoom G3. It does a lot of stuff you don't need, but it is very easy to use as a simple three effect unit. I would just create a bunch of patches that only have the three effects you want to use. It's easier to set up whole patches using the computer editor, but tweaking sounds on the fly on the unit is easy.

• Members

M9 all the way. I have one and I use it for multiple delays. I will create 3 different delays. That gives me the ability to switch between different ones or have them all one. It might get a little mushy but you could do it. You could have 6 delays set up and have any 3 going at the same time.

• Members

I bought a Boss ME-25 to put in front of my SF Princeton Reverb because I liked how the Boss Blues Driver sounded through the amp and wanted a bit more versatility.

It has a USB port and a mini-phone aux in but I wouldn't hold that against it. The delay is nice and offers a setting where you can tap in the tempo with you foot.

Once you settle on a combination of effects you like you can save it in memory.

The downside is you cannot turn the effects on and off individually with a footswitch and you can only scroll through the patches. I still find it's a workable unit, it's small, quiet and above all, sounds really good.

It's really easy to use and costs less than $200

boss-me-25-guitar-multiple-effects-large.jpg

Archived