Fuzz

• Members

hey,

anyone try the Carl Martin PurpleMoon fuzz vibe?

looking to get a fuzz .. I guess a vintage sound? buying a vintage one is pricy for me right now.

going to build one one day..:)

.didn't like the fuzz face RI i tried at a store..

never really played with one.

any suggestions..

thanx!

• Members

For vintage on a budget I would suggest looking into Monsterpiece and/or Lumpy's tone shop. They are both excellent builders that make some crazy good pedals. If you contact either of them they won't let you down.

• Members

Didn't know that particular Carl Martin pedal untill I googled it 2 mins ago...

But if you want to mimmick hendrix tones on a budget, it actually doesn't look too shabby imo.

If it's just a fuzz you want, you can probably do better for the money.

Something from Fulltone shouldn't be too pricey, at least not if you buy used. MXR also has at least one or two decent fuzz peds imo.

Don't suppose you know which Dunlop fuzzface it was you tried at the store? What exactly didn't you like about it? Cause they're cheap enough used, and widely available. Maybe a transistor swap is all you need, those suckers are easy as hell to mod...

• Members

I bought a Moserite FuzzRite kit a couple of weeks ago for around $40. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/effects-projects/fuzz-tones/ I had it built and operating in about and hour and it nails those vintage tones quite well.

The kits are very simple to build and are great projects for beginners who have little skill. The only hard part is identifying the components which isn't too hard because most are color coded. That along with some basic soldering experience and you can build any of the popular fuzz boxes other makers rename with boutique names and charge 10 times the price for them. Even if you paid someone a few bucks to assemble one for you you'd be miles ahead in cost.

They just don't look that pretty in a raw box. You could go through the trouble of painting it but I kind of like the raw look. It makes others wonder what you have built in that thing that gives you that sound. You don't have to tell them most fuzzes cost about $10 in parts and if they are interested in it you can sell it for double the price, build another and have enough for a second different one.

• Members

good input folks, thanks..

i built a delay from general guitar gadgets, it sounded pretty good for about 6 months.. alas currently it is not working as i didn't take my time when building it and something is messed up now. it's on the bench.

I like my mxr phase, deep and not digi sounding

i have some fuzz schematics, we probably have all the parts..hummmm

dependability is the issue with things that come off my bench.. : (

i have a Morley wah fuzz i bought for parts/not working.. hope that will sound cool. it is on my bench too..ugh..lots of winter projects..

the fuzz face i tried about 3 years ago sounded thin and weak if i recall and the ridge rubber thingy was already pealing off. but a mod on one sounds like a good idea.

sorry danhedonia..i was in a mood…artists! go figure..

• Members

Phil, sounds good.i really am leaning towards the purple moon. it will be dependable, thick, chewy saturation..whats not to like? true bi pass.. unlike old, vintage, used or home made stuff.. my gear has to work properly..clean.. with no hums and scratchy pots.

..i have the Carl Martin plexi tone and it is very well made and sounds great. really great..

perhaps i will look into the other Carl martin fuzz that is hard wired, like the plexi tone..

the less expensive purple moon is korea ? and the others Denmark?

Archived