Shoegaze/noise/post rock influenced guitarist needs your help.

• Members

Hello i'm new here and i don't know a lot about pedals.

for several years and i own a multi-fx unit. (BOSS GT-10)

I think i want to move from this to something much simpler (for start) and tweekable live, since with a band i rarely ever use really a lot of stuff ( i use delays,drives,the comp, and maybe some chorus/flanger but rarely)

So i've been thinking of narrowing it down to maybe 5 pedals for under 500 euros/666 dollars

-Big muff

-mxr dynacomp (maybe i could get away with something cheaper but from what i've heard it's worth it)

-Delay: (i like the analog "echo dream 2" from death by audio which also has fuzz and a modulator in it. and the stereo memory man from electro harmonix)

-Reverb (i have no idea..)

-fuzz (the echo dream 2 has a fuzz effect which sounds convenient on paper)

-maybe a flanger?

I'm going to take my time with this but i would appreciate some input and maybe a few recomendations from you guys.

I hope this is not too confusing, i'm still in search for my sound.

• Members

D

Hello i'm new here and i don't know a lot about pedals.

for several years and i own a multi-fx unit. (BOSS GT-10)

I think i want to move from this to something much simpler (for start) and tweekable live, since with a band i rarely ever use really a lot of stuff ( i use delays,drives,the comp, and maybe some chorus/flanger but rarely)

So i've been thinking of narrowing it down to maybe 5 pedals for under 500 euros/666 dollars

-Big muff

-mxr dynacomp (maybe i could get away with something cheaper but from what i've heard it's worth it)

-Delay: (i like the analog "echo dream 2" from death by audio which also has fuzz and a modulator in it. and the stereo memory man from electro harmonix)

-Reverb (i have no idea..)

-fuzz (the echo dream 2 has a fuzz effect which sounds convenient on paper)

-maybe a flanger?

I'm going to take my time with this but i would appreciate some input and maybe a few recomendations from you guys.

I hope this is not too confusing, i'm still in search for my sound.

-Big muffs are awesome, but they can be tricky to use live. There's a lot of other effects out there that don't have to cost much to sound great, but when it comes to your Big Muff needs, I'd look for something with a little more tweakability than what you get from a regular NYC type muff. A couple of the MANY options that can still be found for $100ish if you look around: Musket, SuperCollider,...

Or google for some ideas for Triangle or IC muf clones. MojoHand comes to mind, they do a decent IC muff if I'm not mistaking.

-Dynacomp: There's indeed cheaper alternatives that do the same basic thing.

-Reverb: For your budget, and actually for any budget, I can highly recommend the Hardwire RV-7. Not that it's your only option ofcourse, but I'd personally pick that over TC/Line6/Marshall/EHX for shoegaze/postrock. Or if you don't insist on true bypass switching, check out the RV series from Boss. The RV-3 pretty much defined the 90s post/space rock sound. With its onboard delay you can sound huge and washy for less than $100.

-Echo Dream: Awesome and all, but imo the modulation and weird glitchy noises get old pretty fast, and for the money there's a lot of other delay pedals out there that outperform the ED2. EHX Deluxe Memory Man, or one of the newer ones (memory boy deluxe, smm w/ hazarai, etc).

Also: The Vox Delaylab is huge, but it does almost every type of delay effect know to man, as well as looping and probably a ton of other sh*t I'm forgetting about now. Now and then they can be found for $100 brand new.

For something smaller I can highly recommend the Hardwire DL-8 and Boss DD-7. They both have their own pros and cons, but in my experience the DL-8 can be found slightly cheaper, which for me gives it the edge.

-Flanger: EHX Electric Mistress. Or think about going with a nice chorus (Small Clone, CE2) or Phaser (Small Stone) instead.

• Members

A EHX memory man hazarai can be pretty good for such things, lots of classic and a bit more out there sounds.

Also worth looking in to is getting a Boss HM2 rather than a big muff, lots of people go for that.

The newer stereo electric mistress is pretty cool and wont cost much used or the ibanez fl9 is kind of groovy and again can be got for not allot sometimes.

• Members
I've got it on good authority that all you need is an overdrive' date=' a rat2, and two delays. If you're adventurous you could try a vibrato and a reverb with shimmer capabilities.[/quote']

& a fuzz factory 7, as to keep the ELF's all proper amongst the inner-extraterrestrials'...

• Members

There's an almost endless range of options and it depends what specific type of sound you are trying to capture. I assume you are in Europe and, if so, some of the used equipment suggested in this thread will be harder to obtain and more expensive.

In terms of overdrive/fuzz/distortion you will probably want to experiment with a wide range of pedals. The Fingerprint/Fuzzprint was designed with Shoegaze in mind. The HM-2 is often suggested but it's difficult to get one in good condition for less than 100 Euros. There is a Behringer clone which is supposed to be very similar (HM300). Something like the DBA Fuzz War might be a good option.

I think that delay and reverb are key to the genre and it may be sensible to invest more of your budget in that area. The EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai is good value and can be used to create a To Here Knows When type effect (there's a video on YouTube) and it also has a useful looper. The Eventide H9 is very expensive but offers powerful, highly customisable modulation, delay and reverb effects. The Zoom MS-70CDR is a good budget alternative. If you have an IOS device the Digitech iStomp is very good value too.

• Members

Effects placement is pretty important for Shoegaze. Try to get an overdrive that works well after reverb/delay pedals since a lot of that sound comes from distorted reverb and delay.

Archived