Power

neil_estate

• Members

Hello!

I'm from the UK and I'll be going on a small tour of the US in September. I've got quite a fair bit of kit pedalswise plus samplers etc. I'm just a bit concerned about the power conversion, UK being 240V and US 110V - any advice on what to use to convert the power would be greatly appreciated!

• Members

You won't be able to use your UK power supply, but the pedals will be fine. You can buy a power supply when you get to America then sell it on ebay when you get back? Or maybe hire one - are you going to be hiring an amp? Because your 240v one won't work in america, so maybe hire one from the same place?

If you've only got a few pedals batteries might be the cheapest option, I know you can get them two for £1 at pound shops, they'll be just as cheap in the US.

edit: Ah, I see you have samplers, etc. Well, you're going to need the right power supplies for them, too, batteries won't cut it. Maybe head to Radio Shack when you arrive?

• Members

Use a step-up transformer between the 110v mains and the 220v power supply you have now. This one from Maplin should do it, if it's a pedalboard. If you have other gear as well (keyboards, samplers etc), you may have to go bigger. If you're touring with a local (to the US) PA supplier, they might be able to provide one for you. Don't forget to bring your own power strips to feed the 220vAC to the UK-spec equipment.

Archived