Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret or Tech 21 Sansamp British

Faust1587

• Members

I have a Roland Jazz Chorus 90 and I can't decide which pedal would be better for my rig. I love the sound of a good ol' Marshall for JCM 800 sounds medium to low gain. I like playing everything from

The Cars to some old school Metallica to 70s punk, 80's new wave, post punk. I use a stratocaster with humbuckers and a BC Rich Mockingbird. I love the way the Sansamp British sounds on youtube and got to try out the Para Driver on a Peavey Bandit. I've narrowed it down to these two pedals.

• Members

I haven't played the British, but I do own the Leeds and I also use a Hot Rod Plexi with my Fender DRRI and both of those pedals are excellent. I have not played the DLS, but I do have the SFT which is also a great pedal. I do think though with such a clean amp like that I would go with the Tech 21 stuff.

I think Trick Fall makes a good point regarding your amp and how clean it is. The SansAmp might be a better choice due to the fact it gives you the option of running its onboard speaker emulation.

I love the DLS - it's a killer pedal - and I really love the SansAmp VT Bass, Liverpool and Blonde pedals, but I've never used the Tech 21 British. If it's along the lines of the other three Character series pedals that I have tried, I'm sure it's a winner too.

Any chance you could swing buying both online, and then return the one you decide you don't want? Nothing beats side by side comparisons using your own rig. :)

• Members

I Used to use a Sansamp tri-od into a jc-77, "both were homies from around the way" decent british & tweed tones, but the caif. tones were actually on par w/ a boogie tri-rec "heard it side by side w/my own ears or wouldn't believe it my self" maybe not as touch responsive but none the less, I digress. I myself at that time had the v-stack classic and tweddy, they both made the tri-od seem less impressive. I don't think they make v-stack pedals any more but food for thought, you may be able to happen upon one on the cheap...Also had the original dls, great hot-rodded 800 tones to be found in it, yrmv...

• Members

Love my Tech21 blonde, have used it live into a PA with good results...and I should play it tonight for fun, come to think of it...

Really hard to beat the versatility of those Tech 21 character pedals, huge range of tones.

• Members

I just got the tech 21 sansamp British version 1 tonight and I overall I like it. It reminds me of the mi audio crunchbox in someways, but a lot more versatile. Lots of midrange, but can do 60's blues or 70's classic rock as well. The crunchbox always sounded 80s to me. I was using a boss sd-1 in my rig before and although I wouldn't call it as transparent, the British responds to my volume knob a bit better. This part surprised me the most! Also not as fizzy as my sd-1. I don't know if I can go back to the sd-1 now since it seems kind of trebley in comparison. The British sounds great with my mockingbird and stratocaster. Works well with my pedals. When I split the single coils on my stratocaster I get a great tone for Jimi Hendrix type of sounds.

When I first plugged in the British, i admit I was kind of disappointed... I had to find the right settings. Although there are directions for settings like JCM 800 and AC/DC sounds- I wouldn't call them ones that I liked in my rig. The one drawback I would say about the pedal is i still wouldn't describe it as tube sounding. Maybe a radial tonebone hot British would be more convincing with my amp. One last thing is I still have to try this pedal with my bandmates in a rehearsal situation. That's the real test.

• Members
Definitely report back. I'm curious to hear what you think as I'm looking to pick up a second character pedal so I can have some stereo direct recording fun.

i'm using the joyo american (blonde/fender), sounds excellent. $40 from amazon.

• Members

Just played a show and have to say the Tech 21 British sounded amazing to my ears! Really cut through better than my Boss SD-1. The venue I was playing at had the sound akin to a warehouse which was unfortunate, BUT I could tell this thing was a a real improvement!

Archived