Is there a limit to how long you can use a boss pedal?

mbengs1

• Members

I just got a new pedal. its the boss DA-2 adaptive distortion. its a good distortion. I have a question about boss pedals. Is there a limit to how long you should use a boss pedal? because i was testing the pedal for more than two hours straight and i think the sound changed a bit. the midrange got weaker. i did not misuse the pedal i was just playing riffs etc. I remember accidentally leaving my boss equalizer and chorus ensemble pedal on overnight because i forgot to turn it off and those changed too.

The most likely reason for the change in sound you noticed would be ear fatigue - especially if you were jamming at a fairly loud volume level.

Electronically, a Boss pedal should be able to stay plugged in and powered up indefinitely without damage or changing its sound. A germanium fuzz would be a different matter...

• Members

Other causes include, you nudged a knob on the guitar or elsewhere, you hit the pickup switch, or something in your signal chain needs cleaning.

I only have two Boss pedals. A Metalzone - limit about 5 minutes of use a year, and a GE7 out of use for 10 yrs at least.

• Members

The only thing I can think of is if you're not using the proper zero hum adaptor the pedals don't run right.

Boss and Danelectro are two 9v adaptors that work well with those pedals. The Spot One will also work well. wall warts are zero hum.

If you're using some budget K mart special adaptor it can cause Boss pedals to hum badly or flake out.

It shouldn't just change the tone however. I'd say its either ear fatigue or possibly your strings going dead.

Depending on the brand of strings and how quickly they break in, you use, the treble edge they produce fairly quickly.

Don't rule out your cables either.

• Members

characteristics of electronic components can change due to heat, but in anything modern it takes a lot of heat, far more than you'd normally encounter in a pedal.

If anything changed in tone after being left on for a while it would be your amp, but even then it's probably not distinguishable.

Archived