Need help planning board - ABY/Stereo things...

danielkn

• Members

Hi all,

I'm working on a pedalboard right now and could use some help understanding how all the techie stuff works. I'm an acoustic player, primarily singer.

What (I think) I'm trying to do is use an ABY to split my signal into two chains: One through an overdrive and one clean. So I can be playing just acoustic normally, and be able to hit Y to have both a clean and an overdriven tone.

Is it possible to do this as simple as possible?

4becf6.png

(Please excuse the lack of accuracy. The only pedal pedalboardplanner actually had I'm using is the TR-2)

As it is right now, the board is:

Guitar --> TC Helicon Harmony-G --> ABY --> (BYOC) OD --> TR-2 --> Supernatural Reverb

Coming out of the ABY, A goes to the OD, which goes to one input of the supernatural, and B skips the OD, goes to the Tremolo, and into the other input of the Supernatural.

And for my questions...

Does this work the way I want it to? If not, how would I go about wiring this?

Because my knowledge is limited, what do I need to be aware of when it comes to balance/unbalanced isolated/not, etc.etc.?

Is there a way to have it wired so I can have the options between "overdrive w/o trem" and "overdrive + trem"?

And lastly, how do stereo pedals work when you have two inputs but only one output? Specifically, I will normally run the two signals out to two channels like I described at the beginning of my post, but if I'm only using one speaker, could I have both inputs going into the reverb, but only one output, and still have a clean and dirty signal?

Ahead of time, thanks for any help/advice! :)

• Members

Thanks for the response :)

I'm not sure I understand how the LS-2 works for me in this situation. I'm just trying to have my acoustic signal as usual, and the option to have both acoustic signal plus an overdriven signal both on together.

• Members

I don't think the LS2 will work will it? It doesn't have any clean blend option (I think).

It sounds like you need you need a clean blend pedal. Like a true bypass pedal with the ability to blend in the clean signal when engaged. That way you have your clean signal when the box is bypassed. Turned on, you get the signal from the OD and the clean signal blended in based on a volume knob. You can have the trem on both clean and blended signals.

I don't know if something like this exists in the commercial world? I'm sure it does exist somewhere. Do a search for true bypass clean blend.

• Members

The LS-2 can do a clean blend. If you use the A+B mix and leave one loop open it does clean blend.

You could also look to Wounded Paw and get one of their many blenders. They have many so just go look at the site.

The LS-2 is cheaper though and can do what you want. You can also find them used.

• Members

I feel like the Boss might be a little much for me, and also a little big? If I get the chance, I'll definitely try it out though.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MosquiteBlend/

How is something like this? I like the size, the price is a little steep considering it doesn't do too much, but I can wrap my head around one knob.

Is there anything else similar?

EDIT: http://www.tonebone.com/bigshotmix.php

This also looks like it would work right? Also a little wide, but the jacks are on top.

• Members

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MosquiteBlend/

How is something like this? I like the size, the price is a little steep considering it doesn't do too much, but I can wrap my head around one knob.

I like that one. Small with a phase switch and buffered. Not to bad of a price considering it seems to be exactly what you need. I was reading some reviews of it and people seem to like it as well.

Archived