Opinions on building a pedal, or buying a boost/overdrive pedal without compression

ryanm74

• Members

Hello, I am hoping to hear a few opinions on a boost type of pedal. Let me say first, cost is an issue. I would like to buy a few used pedals, and then sell the ones that I don't like as well. I know roughly what I am looking for, because I have used plenty of different pedals over the years.

I am not worried about the pedal sounding good at bedroom levels, it is jam volume (with a drummer) that I am concerned with. The important thing to me is that the pedal does not sound compressed. I like it to be very dynamic. I would like the very high end slightly rolled off. I don't need a transparent boost, I don't mind the sound slightly colored. I like the TS-9 type flavors, and the similar (to me) Boss overdrives. I like those pedals, but they feel a bit compressed, and just a little mid heavy. I have tried different treble boosters, and that gets close also. They were a Hornsby Skewes type and a Rangemaster type. I preferred the HS sound between the two.

Before anyone mentions a Klon, I just have to say that is far out of my price range. I would like to spend no more than $100 on the used market. I am sure people will ask what equipment I am using, so here it is. I basically use two amps. An old blackface Fender Pro Reverb and a Marshall JCM 800 2x12 (4104). I am playing Fender style guitars with single coils. Sometimes I use a humbucker guitar. I don't use many other pedals, sometimes a Boss DM-2 and a Boss CE-2. Once in a while a wah. I use a Rat for distortion/overdrive sounds. I actually like the sound of the Rat when I roll the volume down on the guitar, but I would like something else a bit different. I will say that a DOD FX-10 Bifet preamp comes pretty close to what I want, but the tone control never gets it quite where I want it. I am willing to build a simple pedal (I am not competent enough for a complicated build), or purchase something used that will be under $100.

I am planning on leaving this pedal on all the time and use the guitar volume to alter the dirt and tone. 75% of the time this will be the only pedal, or it will be this and the Rat. I want to push those amps a bit. I hope I gave all the information that is necessary. If you have made it this far into my very long question, thanks! I am looking forward to hearing responses.

Electro-Harmonix Soul Food overdrive. Seriously. It would be right up your alley. Think Klon, without the Kost. It sells new for well under $100.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/electro-harmonix-soul-food-overdrive-guitar-effects-pedal

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/electro-harmonix-soul-food-overdrive--

• Members

I'll throw a second recommendation at the Soul Food. I got one about a month ago and I've been very impressed. it's very versatile - it can be a clean boost, a light overdrive, or a smooth distortion. What's great about the Soul Food is that the you can adjust the "drive" independently of the volume, Even with the drive turned all the way down (clean) there's still plenty of volume/boost on tap. Less than $70 new and it will come with a power supply.

By the way, ANY distortion, overdrive or fuzz pedal will compress the signal, that is the nature of distortion boxes.

For something similar to the OCD, but with a lower price tag, you can check out the EHX Glove. I still think you'll probably prefer the Soul Food, but both are good pedals.

I also agree with what Mr Grumpy said about the nature of overdrive and distortion. Anything that clips the waveforms is, by definition, compressing the signal.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.I have ordered a Soul Food. As far as compression, I know overdrive pedals do that, but some really squash it. The fact that I am using tube amps that also compress when pushed made me want to find a pedal with the least compression. I like to be able to dig in and have it come out that way, I hate it when it starts to feel like I cannot control dynamics because of too much compression. Typically I am only looking for a little boost, as I am already running the amps with some light breakup. I am looking forward to tying the new pedal, and perhaps I will try an OCD pedal at some point. It would certainly fit my personality. When I get the Soul Food, I will report back. Thanks!

• Members

Ok, I got the pedal the other day and I have not been able to use it with the amps I mentioned yet, but I have tried it with a Peavey Windsor head into a 4x12 cab with Celestion G12H30s. Honestly, it did not add a lot to that particular setup. That amp is just a bit squishier than my other amps to begin with, and it has a ton of gain to start with (by my standards). I plugged it into my usual practice amp, which is a Peavey Classic 20. I used the same 4x12 cabinet, and I was very happy with the results. The pedal does what I want. It didn't muddy the sound, and the signal didn't seem to be overly compressed. No big mid boost. So far, so good. This weekend I will get a chance to use it through my usual stuff (the amps mentioned in the first post). I will post my final opinion after using my regular stuff.

• Members

Glad you may have found what you're looking for. Here's what I initially posted before reading your last post: I suggest a MI Audio Crunch Box. To me, it's natural sounding at all volumes. You can sometimes find one for $80-100; I got one for $80 at a guitar shop recently. Coincidentally, I found the TS9 to sound very well at higher volumes. But, I see what you mean about compression. Still, I'd run it as a main distortion pedal if I was doing only lower-gain stuff; it's a good enough pedal to run on its own.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just to follow up, I have been playing the pedal through the Marshall combo, and I really like it. I have lot of overdrive pedals, but this one really works well with this amp. The way I am using it, it is on most of the time. Lots of clarity without getting icepick highs. I am enjoying the sound/feel immensely. Thanks for the recommendations, the price was right on the Soul Food and it does what I want. Thanks to all that replied!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived