Parallel Flanging?

• Members

We all know that the old Boss DC2 chorus pedal sounds like it does because it essentially is two chorus effects in parallel sweeping at equal and opposite rates. Give it that unmoving, widening effect.

What happens if you put two flangers in parallel? Or even phasers, I guess. Is there a pedal that does such a thing?

• Members

Pedals with a second output invert the waveform on the second jack to give you a pseudo stereo effect. It widens but its not real stereo.

I use pairs of pedals in my live setup where I run two amps for recording. I can set different rates on echoes, phasers, chorus etc. It can make for some interesting effects but nothing ultra thrilling. Chorus is better then a Phase because its time based, not just sweeping tonal phase changes. Having different echoes or reverbs is better however.

Lately I been running my Chorus pedals with both outputs into an Alesis Midiverb II to get some separation. I prefer it over two pedals because the effects are time linked. If I use say a ping pong echo, its synced to both amps. If I tried to do the same with two pedals, it would be impossible to sync the two so you always have one or the other drifting in time. That can be fun too but more difficult to set them when playing to a fixed tempo.

I have a new box coming that syncs the effects timing to its built in drum machine or to a midi input. I can set up midi tracks in the DAW, then when I play along to it the effects speed of echoes, chorus, auto pan or any others will be in time with the beat. Then I can vary the effects tempo to 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 beats etc. Its got tap tempo too but having a had lock on the beat recording saves so much time.

• Members

I use an old Digitech RP-1's Flanger in a negative polarity and a Digitech RP- 12's Flanger in a positive polarity, and have both swirling in the same parameters / time.

I programmed both floor multi-effects units to swirl away from each other and they cycle / meet each other, cancel each other out and swirl away from each other, just like Jimi Hendrix did on " House Burning Down" or Eric Johnson did on "High Landrons". ;)

• Members

Pure tube - thanks for the link. I am aware it is your baby. I could never seem to find any links to demos of the stereo flanging that sounded good (quality, not the pedal itself!).

WRGKMC - sounds like a great setup. Is the box only for DAW effects or anything with a MIDI in? Sounds like a global clock of sorts.

AJ6stringsting - House Burning Down is a crazy sound. Is the dual flanging on the entire track? It always sound like an EQ panning about, but I can hear flanging now that you mention it. That sound is so tight.

Coloringpad - I'll have to check out it out, never heard of that pedal. Thanks!

• Members

WRGKMC - sounds like a great setup. Is the box only for DAW effects or anything with a MIDI in? Sounds like a global clock of sorts.

Well I never got to try it. It showed up on Friday and it was defective. Blown preamp board. The guy I bought it off of on EBay gave me a full refund and told me to keep the unit. I don't know if I'll ever get it fixes. I'm an electronic tech but the boards are loaded with micro chips so all I can do is swap boards. Maybe I'll check and see what M-Audio charges for repair. If its cheap enough I may send it in.

Edit: Well I can forget that idea. The unit was made by Avid and M-Audio no longer supports the repair of the units.

I went through and read the issues they had with the unit on their database and it looks like a lot of people had the same issue with the preamp board blowing. I should learn to use my own advice. I usually suggest others dig deep and find all the dirt on gear before they buy it. I was lucky this time because the guy reimbursed me, but I may have found others had problems with the unit If I had visited their site. smiley-mad

• Members
Back in the 1970s, I owned a Mu-tron Bi-Phase.

11-EH-MUTRON.jpg

My buddy had one of those. They were pretty cool sounding. I think they were a phaser though, not a flanger however.

They were a bit pricy from what I remember, but had that cool synthetic synth effect that was hugely popular then.

I had the Maestro phaser that worked like a Leslie cab. When you changed speeds it gradually ramped up and down in speed.

I wore that sucker out.

I wound up buying an Electro Harmonix flanger back then which I also wore out. I remember the thing going flakey and I wound up tweaking the trim pots to make it work. I eventually added additional pots so I didn't have to open it to tweak them. I think the internal power supply eventually blew and it was toast.

• Members

^ ^ ^

Yes, that's a phase shifter. I already owned a Mu-tron Phasor II when I bought the Bi-Phase. I thought the Bi-Phase would be better than the Phasor II. Unfortunately, the Phasor II sounded a little bit better -- as in deeper sounding. Eventually, around 1984-ish, I sold off my Bi-Phase and its control pedal as well as my Mu-tron octave divider to someone that really wanted them. I still have my Mu-tron Phasor II. It's a keeper. ;)

By the way, I bought a Maestro Stage Phaser around 1980. I still have it. It's the model with the foot controls. I'm surprised there have not been any pedals since with treadle controls. Maybe Gibson holds a patent on that feature?

MUTRON_SPEC_SHEET.jpg

maestro_stage_phaser.jpg

• Members
Pure tube - thanks for the link. I am aware it is your baby. I could never seem to find any links to demos of the stereo flanging that sounded good (quality, not the pedal itself!).

AJ6stringsting - House Burning Down is a crazy sound. Is the dual flanging on the entire track? It always sound like an EQ panning about, but I can hear flanging now that you mention it. That sound is so tight.

Coloringpad - I'll have to check out it out, never heard of that pedal. Thanks!

Years ago, we playing for a crowd that liked 1960's Rock/ 1970's Rock. I like to do things note for note and try to get the same tone. We covered Jimi's "House Burning Down".

Are you using Digital ( Rack/ Multi-EFX floor units) or Analog foot Pedals ?

If you're using Digital gear, I'll post the parameters, sweep rates and delay times for you this week end ... if ya want ?

• Members
Pedals with a second output invert the waveform on the second jack to give you a pseudo stereo effect. It widens but its not real stereo.

I use pairs of pedals in my live setup where I run two amps for recording. I can set different rates on echoes, phasers, chorus etc. It can make for some interesting effects but nothing ultra thrilling. Chorus is better then a Phase because its time based, not just sweeping tonal phase changes. Having different echoes or reverbs is better however.

Lately I been running my Chorus pedals with both outputs into an Alesis Midiverb II to get some separation. I prefer it over two pedals because the effects are time linked. If I use say a ping pong echo, its synced to both amps. If I tried to do the same with two pedals, it would be impossible to sync the two so you always have one or the other drifting in time. That can be fun too but more difficult to set them when playing to a fixed tempo.

I have a new box coming that syncs the effects timing to its built in drum machine or to a midi input. I can set up midi tracks in the DAW, then when I play along to it the effects speed of echoes, chorus, auto pan or any others will be in time with the beat. Then I can vary the effects tempo to 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 beats etc. Its got tap tempo too but having a had lock on the beat recording saves so much time.

What new box do have coming in?

Archived