Looking for new multi-effects

• Members

I currently have a Line 6 XT Live. It has given me many years of good service and has always been my backup with my tube amp. I use it to play at church. I will learn the songs with using headphones and I also setup patches that match my amp and pedalboard setup. I have been getting into recording. I use Cubase 7.5 Artist as my DAW. I am finding that the XT Live will not work with Cubase via USB. Probably to old for it. I would like to find a replacement. I have been looking into some of the newer Line 6 rack models, the Zoom G3/5/9, and Eleven Rack (can't afford the snax). Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with these models or other ones. I am getting to the point of not wanting to lug my amp and pedal to church. We really only play 5-6 songs. I take my amp and pedal board to the bigger gigs. Thx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

since no one else, here's my 2 sense smiley-lol

i can speak in general on (older) zooms - gfx5 & g9.2tt. the main reason i chose them was their brag of fast patch switching, which was and is (according to current brag) true.

the modulation effects are great (w/exception of octave above which is a little touchy with distortion added).

the amp models and gain effects gains default way high, perhaps this is why you'll see posts complaining about them. once you turn gains down, a whole 'nother beast. minimum (or no) use of equalizer also worked for me (classic rock sound). like with any other effect(s), best to let amp share some of the load of sound sculpting...

the newer ones have xlr di, and can send uneffected signal (no a/d conv.) from it, while effected sig. sends from main outs. g5 has the tube, g3 doesn't. g5 & g3x have an expression pedal and g5 has input for a second one.

both do usb out for recording. haven't done much with this, use g9 live mostly (it's built like a tank, g5 foot switches look like my g9's, g3 - not so much).

in all, my g9 has satisfied, and has gotten favorable comments from sound guys and audience.

oops... http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g5

edit doesn't allow me to add link...

• Members

This is for bass so YMMV, but I use a Zoom B3. I like it and I have had success with Win 7, Mac, and Linux using it to record with multiple DAW's. I like the sounds I get out of it better than my M5. I think I am in the minority here but I really like the Zoom stuff that they have coming out. I haven't used a G3/5, but if it is like my B3 I would highly recommend it.

• Members

seibertdr, iirc you've been on the fence about selling/trading the MB RK II, yeah. Have you ever considered the Kemper profiling amplifier, sounds as if your willing to make all sacrifices necessary for portability yet have comparable tonal quality. I personally have never used the product, but have read plenty of good reviews by gear heads in the know?, and check out many of the videos available and if I were going to dump every thing for an all in one this would definitely be near the top of the list for a grab and go studio/live/bedroom, rig... Just thinking out loud here...You know hit up the homies & the homies homies for a bit of profiling and you got all the amps and effects a guitar picker could ever desire, one would think, {censored} I've almost convinced myself, anyways all the best with your seek...

• Members

The Mesa Boogie is staying. I am only looking to replace the Line 6 XT Live. The MB is my baby. I love playing that amp. When the wife and kids are out of the house, I crank it. I use the MB for other projects. For church, I only need a really simple setup. Currently, I use my Egnater Rebel 30 combo with my Strat. I have 4 pedals on a PT Mini (Morley mini wah/volume, TC Elec Nova drive, digitech chorus factory, TC Elec Nova Delay). The Line 6 is used in case my amp takes a dump.

• Members
The Mesa Boogie is staying. I am only looking to replace the Line 6 XT Live. The MB is my baby. I love playing that amp. When the wife and kids are out of the house, I crank it. I use the MB for other projects. For church, I only need a really simple setup. Currently, I use my Egnater Rebel 30 combo with my Strat. I have 4 pedals on a PT Mini (Morley mini wah/volume, TC Elec Nova drive, digitech chorus factory, TC Elec Nova Delay). The Line 6 is used in case my amp takes a dump.

Good times, nothing quite like a Rectifier @ volume, again all the best with the new dsp endeavor, looking forward to hearing your decision..."s"...

Archived