Question to all the users of the MJM London Fuzz (Ge and Si versions)

• Members

Hi, I'm asking this question because I have both London Fuzz models: red (germanium) and blue (silicon), both being the 2-knob version, and I would like to know if you all have a tremolo pedal in your chain that can get along with both pedals without incompatibility issues.

I've been using an Electro-Harmonix Pulsar Tremolo (not the OX Stereo one) for the last 7 years and while it's a nice pedal, sometimes I feel it doesn't preserve the low-end quite well.

I've been looking for a better tremolo but I know that both London Fuzzes, specially the germanium one, can be very picky about other pedals in the chain, that's why I'm looking for an analog tremolo with true bypass switch that doesn't change the tone of my fuzzes.

Since I live in Chile, it's very difficult for me to try different brands of tremolos (the only one available in my city is Boss) so posting this topic is pretty much my only real choice by now, please feel free to share your experiences and recommendations, thanks!

• Members

There's really only two issues I can think of regarding "compatibility" with these fuzzes:

1) Buffers

2) Power supply polarity.

Most fuzzes sound very different if they are fed by a buffered pedal or other low-impedance signal (like an active guitar). The only real solution is to put the fuzz first in your signal chain, or at least near the front, and make sure there are no buffered pedals ahead of the input. Any pedal with "soft touch" switching like all BOSS and Ibanez pedals use electronic bypass and are buffered.

Many Ge fuzzes use PNP transistors and are therefore positive-ground. You need to power the fuzz with a real isolated power supply, or power the fuzz with its own power supply, or use a battery. Don't use a daisy-chain type power supply like a 1Spot for powering your London Fuzz. I would try to find an owner's manual for these online in any case, and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

• Members

Thanks but I use my fuzz pedals with carbon batteries so that's not a problem, I just want to find people here who owns both models of the London Fuzz in order to know if they have a tremolo pedal in their chain and their experience with it in terms of tone transparency or, better said, compatibility when they use fuzz and tremolo together.

• Members

Are you using the Pulsar before or after your fuzz?

Not the same pedal, but I have an EHX Wiggler tremolo/vibrato and it doesn't sound good after my fuzz (when fuzz is on). It sounds too bright and trashy.

But before fuzz it's fine.

The fuzz I'm using is an NPN (silicon) Monsterpiece fuzzface, btw.

Archived