Fender ditching MSRP on all products...

I saw this in today's edition of the Music Trades online. It appears that as of July 7, Fender will no longer be using MSRP for anything, and instead, will only have an "advertised price" that will correspond with the current MAP (minimum advertised price) - the stated reason for their decision is to avoid confusion in the minds of customers; since MAP has become so common, MSRP is kind of irrelevant anymore.

Starting July 7, Fender Musical Instrument Corporation will no longer be providing “Manufacturer Suggested Retail Prices” on any Fender branded products in North America. In the future, the company’s website and other promotional materials will reference only an “advertised price” that corresponds to MAP. Richard McDonald, executive vice president of the Fender brand, explained... READ MORE

http://www.musictrades.com/news7.html

So what do you think about this? Should more companies do away with MSRP and just stick with MAP?

• Members
most people i know only care about the price they are going to actually pay. msrp' date=' rrp, map etc. feel like an advertising gimmick to make you feel like you are getting a better deal when you don't pay that amount.[/quote']

Pretty much.

MSRP of a Les Paul is $8500' date=' it sells for about $4200. Scam or not?[/quote']

That has to be one of the nicer models - that's considerably more than a regular Les Paul Standard costs, which list for around $5k, with a street price of just under $3k.

As far as it being a scam, I don't think so. It is what it is. It's certainly not inexpensive, but the difference between list and MAP prices has always been easy enough to learn about online for anyone who's interested.

• Members

That has to be one of the nicer models - that's considerably more than a regular Les Paul Standard costs, which list for around $5k, with a street price of just under $3k.

As far as it being a scam, I don't think so. It is what it is. It's certainly not inexpensive, but the difference between list and MAP prices has always been easy enough to learn about online for anyone who's interested.

Yes it is a nicer one. My buddy owns it. He says some LP's the notes all bloom. He says his only the low E notes bloom. $ does not always mean the best.

Yes it is a nicer one. My buddy owns it. He says some LP's the notes all bloom. He says his only the low E notes bloom. $ does not always mean the best.

The one I reviewed is a honey... it squeals, barks, chirps, blooms and is a delight to play. I think that holds true for a lot of guitars - some just are magic, and others not so much. Go play ten Strats, and while they're all going to be decent guitars, one of them is probably going to be subjectively "better" to you than the others. That's the one you want to take home with you. :)

Archived