If I want to make electronic/chillwave music...

• Members

You could do it with Garageband, but it's nice to have options. I bet you could find a machine mikro for very cheap and either use it as a pad controller or use the Maschine software. It's nice to be able to do even some basic sampling for that kind of stuff.

• Members
This might be really nebbish' date=' but why is something with pads better than a midi keyboard? I know a lot of midi keyboards have pad buttons or whatever on them already, is that just for assigning drum hits for making your own beatS? Also I'm drunk. [/quote']

Not totally sure, but the way I understand it is you can get units that have like 3x3 large pad areas and maybe they're even pressure sensitive, and in some electronic bands like the kind you're alluding to they maybe don't have a traditional drummer but someone who plays keys and triggers electronic drums and other effects. So for a live situation where you can pre-determine your performance, having a large touch sensitive pad set-up will work better and come across as more interactive in the performance than pushing little buttons on a midi keyboard where mistakes can be more easily made.

• Members

I'm totally getting lost in inner space making bad techno trying to sound like 1991 with my kaoss pads. I wish I could go record my jam and twist it even more, but I have a house guest sleeping in the spare bedroom next to the studio space.

• Members

You should at least check out Maschine before buying another controller. I bet you can get the Mk I Mikro really cheap and it's not just about the controller it's about the software. Maschine comes with a ton of sounds and it's cool to make your own beats and to sample and chop stuff up.

• Members
You should at least check out Maschine before buying another controller. I bet you can get the Mk I Mikro really cheap and it's not just about the controller it's about the software. Maschine comes with a ton of sounds and it's cool to make your own beats and to sample and chop stuff up.

Taking a look now, looks pretty cool! Have you used it before? I still struggle with Garageband and more software might kill my brain. Also it looks like the Mikro just has pad trigger things and no keyboard. Right now I'm using a Korg NanoKey and it's murdering me.

• Members
Just use anything and everything you have. Creativity is your best asset.

This were fun to listen too! They seem a bit more on the dance/house side of things, I can't get away from pop melodies, but I would be interested in hearing what you used to make the beats.

• Members

Taking a look now, looks pretty cool! Have you used it before? I still struggle with Garageband and more software might kill my brain. Also it looks like the Mikro just has pad trigger things and no keyboard. Right now I'm using a Korg NanoKey and it's murdering me.

Just the triggers, but any usb keyboard will automatically control the synths in Maschine. I have Maschine and while there are some things I'd like to see them change it's really powerful software that comes with great sounds and the groove box workflow really suits that type of music. I usually come up with patterns and beats in Maschine and then use it as a plugin in a DAW and play in an arrangement that I can add guitars and vocals to.

• Members

Consider adding a Windows partition and dual booting. This would give you access to Reaper and around a billion free VST effects and instruments. This would free up funds for a better input method than that Nanokey. Were I looking for MIDI input today I'd pick up an Arturia Beatstep, and if keys were needed a QuNexus.

• Members

A synth that can also be used as a midi controller is handy. My Alesis Micron is good (although getting a bit old.) Things like the Monotron are also great for noises. Don't forget to mangle it all up with lots of pedals too...especially delay, filters and reverb.

• Members
Consider adding a Windows partition and dual booting. This would give you access to Reaper and around a billion free VST effects and instruments. This would free up funds for a better input method than that Nanokey. Were I looking for MIDI input today I'd pick up an Arturia Beatstep' date=' and if keys were needed a QuNexus. [/quote']

I have a bootcamp partition but I'm really not into learning a new DAW at the moment. I have used Reaper before though, it's nice, and there are quite a bit more free VSTs than AUs, but I like working with limits anyways.

• Members
A synth that can also be used as a midi controller is handy. My Alesis Micron is good (although getting a bit old.) Things like the Monotron are also great for noises. Don't forget to mangle it all up with lots of pedals too...especially delay' date=' filters and reverb.[/quote']

I didn't know the micron could be used as a controller. I'm looking into one with keys and pads, I think that will be my best bet at the moment.

• Members
This were fun to listen too! They seem a bit more on the dance/house side of things' date=' I can't get away from pop melodies, but I would be interested in hearing what you used to make the beats.[/quote'] Thanks Travis! Yeah, these are more electronic styled. I've done lots of stuff that's more pop oriented, but most of these were styled to be played by DJs, or something... :) I checked out your songs. Definitely keep up with the pop melodies. Good stuff! As for what was used for beats, everything I could get my hands on. I've been collecting samples for years on end. These days, I've got an old 808, Machinedrum, Korg ER-1, Boss DM-110, Yamaha DX-200, etc... But I've got a bunch of soft synths on my iPad, and use those quite a bit nowadays too. Somewhere online once upon a time I found a collection of samples from Atari games, and then a collection of multi sampled vintage drum machines. Both all for free. That's where the sample hunting started. I bet they are still out there somewhere.

• Members

Yeah, the keys on the Micron are fine, but I'll get something with pads for programming drums next time...

Here's some of my stuff:

All fairly basic equipment. It's made with the Micron, Logic 8 studio (and soft synths/plug ins) plus guitars, pedals and a few cheap noisemakers...I really need a new computer though!

Archived