best multi effects you've used?

mbengs1

• Members

From what I've heard, my digitech rp100 sounds the best for the price and features. it sounds better than the boss, korg, or zoom multi's. The rp100 is 13 years old and it still sounds and works great.

• Members

I've always been a fan of the Yamaha Magicstomp. Used it for years. Great for reverb.

Lately, I've gotten into the Zoom stuff. Got an MS-50g, which is fun to play around with because it is so simple to move through the effects and change their parameters. Just got an MS-70cdr, which seems to have some great reverbs and delays.

Also, in terms of pure bang for your buck, the Zoom 606 (the one with the expression pedal) is tough to beat.

• Members

I have a couple of Digitec Rack units and one stomp unit. All just sit around and collect dust. Their reverb and chorus are pretty good but the drive settings sound like crap with my guitars. They're pretty much a one trick pony and sound OK cranked but trying to dial them back and get good brown tones is pretty much a waste of time. Its just the wrong kind of gain staging for what I want.

I do have several Boss units, Rack and pedals and I can do better with them. At least have more variety in tones. The rack units I have can get some decent tones too and they are full featured so I can loop in other effects and drives to expand the sounds. I have most of them in semi retirement at the moment. I bot board with the sound and moved on to other things.

Lately I been using My old Art SGX2000 with the matching Midi floor pedal. I've had it maybe a year and a half and I've only scratched the possibilities you can get with the unit. I like they its got some older modeling and has a real tube preamp in it. I can also dial up multiple effects and have two programmable expression pedals. I use it mostly for recording but I can connect it up to my dual amp setup too. The good part is its got two loops, one mono and one stereo so I can use any of my other units or pedals in its loop. The unit sold for a couple of grand back when it was new. I bought it in mint condition for $50 and paid $100 for the pedal.

Yes i wanna know about pedals. i checked the Boss GT-6 and GT-100 on ebay and they both sound fine. but it can't beat the rp100 for value. the rp100 i got on ebay for 30 bucks.

Thirty bucks? That's a great deal for something you like and apparently use a lot. :)

• Members

I love my M6 too. I like that I can have multiple delays set up for a song and just to be able to tap them in and out. Plus having multiple delays on at once. Most of the multi units will only allow you one delay at a time and you cant move it around.

• Members

Being an EHX fanboy, I haven't tried many multi-effect units. And of the EHX multi-effects, I've only tried the Holy Stain - and I ended up giving it to a friend. I do love The Worm, though calling it a multi-effect is a stretch.

But I do own 1 multi-effects unit that I will keep for as long as possible... my Digitech XP300 Space Station :sm-heart:

• Members

Boss did a decent job with the GT5, GT3 and GX700 (rack version.) They are not OMFG awesome, but they are effective and the effects can generally be subtle or pronounced.

The entire modern RP series (as opposed to the earlier one or two digit models) all the effects were over the top, fake and compressed to my years.

I never used multi-effects as my main sound, but I did gig with a gt3 for several years because it could do a lot of things i did not want to buy dedicated pedals for simply because they weren't effects i used often enough.

• Members

why can't they make them the same as the early GT series of boss? like The Gt-10 doesnt sound as good as the gt6 or gt5 or 3. check out my recordings with a digitech rp100.

soundcloud.com/marleybengson

whats a better sounding multi effects you can suggest?

• Members

I like my Digitech RP255. I use it more like a single effect in my chain, which means lots of re-programming on my part. The programmable expression pedal is nice, too. Built in looper is OK.

Was like $80 new on ebay.

Not yet. Have you?

Super Ego seems really great, but I haven't bought a pedal in over a year now. Last one I picked up was the 8 Step Sequencer. I haven't had time to play with it much.

You guys should definitely check one out if you get a chance. Cool pedal IMO.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/electro-harmonix-superego-synt-30955984

• Members

Of the few multis I've used I liked the the M9 the most. I wish that I didn't have to sell it when I did and I've thought about getting another one on occasion. I wouldn't mind using a Boss unit for non-dirt stuff (had a GT-3), but I think the M-series are laid out better. I'm just wondering if something new is on its way since the M9 has been around for so long.

I saw a mention of the Magicstomp. I wanted to love it, but whenever it was part of the signal chained there was a hell of a lot of noise introduced so I sold it. Really liked its non-dirt sounds, though.

• Members

I'm with Onyxrhino... Yamaha. Been a Yamaha fanboi for 25 years, ever since I bought my first FX500 when I was in high school. Just wish they'd have gotten a better interface with the MagicStomp. I'm assuming with their purchase of Line 6, we probably aren't going to get much Yamaha branded FX anymore, which sucks.

• Members

I am currently using the Vox Tonelab SE I bought in 2004. It has a tube in it, the efx and amp/speaker cab models sound good to me. Strangely they put the tube at the end oof the chain, as a quasi power amp stage, but it does warm the tone nicely. I like the 2 programmable expression pedals...usually set up as a volume/swell and switchable wah a la vox or crybaby. eack program has an a/b switch for amp settings. So you can have the efx set up however and switch between say a clean/crunch or clean/lead with the same efx sound. Obviously whatever works for your sound. It has nice tweaking via pc with MIDI connections, so you need a Midi interface, no usb.But that is what was normal when this one was made in'04. I can save files and share them online or email them if needed...I had a Digitech GNX2 and a Digitech GSP 2101 tube rack unit before the Vox, but they have been retired mostly. They work fine but the GNX is too digital sounding..and the 2101 rack is just to bulky to haul around a rack unit anymore.

Archived