No announcement yet.

Okay, who does custom builds?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, who does custom builds?

I'm interested in seeing some names of builders who will consider doing custom / one-off builds. Who are the ones you know of and / or would recommend?
    Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

What do ya need? I design and fab PCB's for other small builders, but I do one-off's as well. Nothing fancy on the outside though.
    Love,
    Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

I was thinking about having someone make me a MRB, ala the one built into the solid state and hybrid Vox amps from the mid 60s... Conqueror, etc.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

I'll have a looksie. Assuming this is for Paperback Writer?

EDIT: Looking at the VOX Beatle amp, it's a simple 500mH inductor in parallel with a few different caps to select the frequency. Could be a cool little unit with treble, bass, and middle boost controls. Transformers can be had for cheap and used as 500mH inductors.

I can work up a schematic and PCB layout/fab for you if you please so you can build it yourself!
        Last edited by H.R. Shove and Stuff; 06-10-2014, 11:35 PM.
        Love,
        Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

H.R.S&S, do you build time based effect ala, a analog pedal that can go 70's electric mistress, ada flanger, mxr flanger? If that's even possible?

p.s. not to get to ahead of it but would true bypass and a volume pot that goes above unity be asking to much?

p.s. p.s. I'm aware these effects mentioned are timbre specific, yet with technology at this stage of development there must be pots' that taper as so, maybe? tia...

p.s. p.s. p.s., the choralflange I've used for the past decade + gets real close less the clipping and the buffered/true bypass option having difficulty playing nice with all the variables, not asking for something to be to good to be true, but...
          Last edited by riff ie; 06-11-2014, 12:24 AM.
          changes come w/ the whether...

Comment

lumpy's tone mkII not working out for you?

edit: just saw the other thread
            Last edited by goodhonk; 06-11-2014, 07:34 AM.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

No, I actually like it very much... but it's only one part of the equation for some Beatles-type tones. There's also the MRB, as well as the onboard distortion... but if you take a look at the onboard distortion, then have a look at a Fuzz Face schematic, you'll notice that they're very, very similar...

- George Carlin

Comment

http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/mmb.html

Comment

Originally posted by riff ie View Post
                  H.R.S&S, do you build time based effect ala, a analog pedal that can go 70's electric mistress, ada flanger, mxr flanger? If that's even possible?

p.s. not to get to ahead of it but would true bypass and a volume pot that goes above unity be asking to much?

p.s. p.s. I'm aware these effects mentioned are timbre specific, yet with technology at this stage of development there must be pots' that taper as so, maybe? tia...

p.s. p.s. p.s., the choralflange I've used for the past decade + gets real close less the clipping and the buffered/true bypass option having difficulty playing nice with all the variables, not asking for something to be to good to be true, but...
                  I don't do too many custom builds, but I know someone has a project for the Electric Mistress and ADA Flanger, but the costs of the chips are absurd and rare. I don't usually build these large pedals as there's a lot going on and end up costing an arm and a leg, not to mention the debugging time. There are people who have built them, though, and I can try to find their emails if you want to give them at try!

I can look at them again and see, but the analog time based effects are very complex and expensive. I'll get back to you.
                  Love,
                  Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

Hey Riffy if you're inclined to build Madbean has an electric mistress board with volume compensation built in. If you use mn3007 parts it can be run at 15v for more headroom. My build has never clipped but I only play single coils so YMMV. If you do decide to build PM me and I'll send a set of chips.

Comment

Originally posted by riff ie View Post
                      Yup, that's the basic idea - thanks Riffy! The only thing is, I wanted to try to put the three different parts into three different pedals if possible... and I'd rather not have to order from overseas if I can avoid it. Since I already have pedals that do the amp and distortion parts, I just need the MRB... Matthew and I have been talking about it.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by H.R. Shove and Stuff View Post

I don't do too many custom builds, but I know someone has a project for the Electric Mistress and ADA Flanger, but the costs of the chips are absurd and rare. I don't usually build these large pedals as there's a lot going on and end up costing an arm and a leg, not to mention the debugging time. There are people who have built them, though, and I can try to find their emails if you want to give them at try!

I can look at them again and see, but the analog time based effects are very complex and expensive. I'll get back to you.
                        Thxalot HRSS, when I find the p.m.'s clicky I'll apologise proper...Is any body out there cloning M117R's w/ tb & a volume pot?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Yup, that's the basic idea - thanks Riffy! The only thing is, I wanted to try to put the three different parts into three different pedals if possible... and I'd rather not have to order from overseas if I can avoid it. Since I already have pedals that do the amp and distortion parts, I just need the MRB... Matthew and I have been talking about it.
                          Yarp...Can't wait to hear/see, if the two of you decide to work together...
                          Last edited by riff ie; 06-17-2014, 07:28 PM. Reason: riffs', they come in handy, like a swiss army knife @ a nuclear arms convention...

Comment

Originally posted by cryptosonic View Post
                            Hey Riffy if you're inclined to build Madbean has an electric mistress board with volume compensation built in. If you use mn3007 parts it can be run at 15v for more headroom. My build has never clipped but I only play single coils so YMMV. If you do decide to build PM me and I'll send a set of chips.
                            If it were of necessity, I think I could conjure about a snapperhead or too! But time bending gets trixie and I'm approaching the end of a cellular regeneration process "my lite hazel-green-grey eye is developing amber flecks" so you know how we do...

P.S.
                            Any chance of a clip @ 15v,"even better can that build go 18V per" with some greasy fuzz on the side, I mostly single coil too, but that hummer comes in handy for the \m/...
                            Last edited by riff ie; 06-17-2014, 07:40 PM. Reason: Generocity is a immense virtue, slainte...Also thx so much, I'm doof, heh...

Comment

Check yo PM's riff ie!
                              Love,
                              Matthew

✌ ♥☺

Comment

Working...
                              X