Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wanted a pedal for ages...

...and then finally break down and buy one?

I've wanted a Pearl TH-20 Thriller for years now, and when I saw one up for sale online, I broke down a bought it. At $120, it wasn't cheap for what it is (nor particularly over-priced), and it's being shipped from Tokyo, which makes me a bit nervous, but hopefully everything will go well and it will arrive relatively expeditiously. We'll see.

Thread is worthless without pics... Yes, that's supposedly the one I purchased...

https://reverb.com/item/125593-sale-...escription-tab

Last edited by Phil O'Keefe; 05-28-2014, 01:48 AM.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

yeah I know, and some pedals stay and some you let go again
    I liked the Thriller more than the SP-1
    but did noty keep 'em
    I am keeping the PMG HEX-2 Harmonic Exciter ((one of the most underestimated pedal brands of all times imho, I want them all (3 more to go))

Comment

What effect category does this fall into? Iow, what is it?
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by goodhonk View Post
        What effect category does this fall into? Iow, what is it?

Exciter.

The Thriller uses a low-cut filter and a multipeak circuit to boost the high frequency range.

Comment

Goodhonk, here's a couple of reviews from owners to give you an idea what it does...

http://www.gearbug.com/product_info/pearl_thriller_th20

bieke, I just had a look at that PMG HEX-2 Harmonic Exciter over on Bart's site - I had never seen one before. Cool case! Are they pretty rare? I didn't see much info out there on the net about them...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
            Goodhonk, here's a couple of reviews from owners to give you an idea what it does...

http://www.gearbug.com/product_info/pearl_thriller_th20

bieke, I just had a look at that PMG HEX-2 Harmonic Exciter over on Bart's site - I had never seen one before. Cool case! Are they pretty rare? I didn't see much info out there on the net about them...
            the PMG pedals were made by Paul Rivera after he left Fender end of the 70s and during the start-up of his own company, think he eventually licensed his pedal designs to a japanese company and they were produced until mid became PMP pedals

pic of my PMG trio

Comment

Wow... I was definitely around here (S California) around the time Paul left Fender - which was about the time CBS sold it IIRC - somewhere around '84-85 - so I would have thought I would have seen those or run into one somewhere... but this is the first I've ever seen them. Very cool!

- George Carlin

Comment

BTW, does anyone know how long things typically take these days to ship from Japan to the USA? What about customs?

- George Carlin

Comment

Depends on whether they stick the landing or not.

Comment

lol

Let's hope they do.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by MyNameIsRyan View Post
                      Depends on whether they stick the landing or not.

Goodness!

There's one at a local (Okinawa, Japan) pawn shop for I think $80. I remember this pedal mentioned here a few months ago. I was considering grabbing it until I just saw the only available YT vid. Sorry Phil, do not want!

I have the benefit of APO shipping, and USPS priority usually takes about 6~10 days, but there's no customs or anything. If they don't "stick the landing" I can snag that one at the pawn shop for you Phil.
                      Good deals with: Primo, Hecticone, Bluehuricane (X2), TomCray, Used666, Dettlebach, Tolling_Bells, Cleverbastid, machine gunner, shooto, 2deaconblues, Easyliver, Maxisnotdead, brokenarrow5, Drasp, Viper Jazz, the.bjorndahl, dkhp124

Comment

Does Vincent Price read the instruction manual?

Comment

And whosoever shall be found Without the soul for getting down
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I did get a Thriller from Japan last winter. It was part of my obsession with Pearl pedals thanks to honky. I'm just waiting on a Pearl OD to come around. Good price on the Thriller Phil.

I take that back. My Thriller came in from Malaysia I think.
                            Last edited by BAXANDALL; 06-02-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X