What To Buy - EHX Soul Food or Boss OD-3

• Members

I'm looking at a new pedal to use as a booster/light overdrive to compliment my Marshall Drivemaster now that I've got a bit of extra cash. I love my Drivemaster as an alternative to my clean sound, but the lower gain sounds have never really been stellar. Past 12 o'clock on the gain is where it really comes into its own I think. For ages I've been using an OCD clone, which is a great pedal, but just isn't the right one for either light drive or volume boosting.

The demos I've seen and heard using the Soul Food are fantastic and I've heard great things about it. The only thing that worries me is the couple of bad reviews that some XO and nano pedals get regarding build quality. Ideally I wouldn't pay attention to them but it's in the back of my mind when thinking about the SF.

I guess that's where the Boss OD-3 edges it slightly. Again, the demos I've seen are fantastic but I haven't seen many where it's boosting a pedal rather than an amp. My only concern there would be that the bass might become a bit bloated or get a bit noisy.

As it stands, I'm leaning towards the Soul Food but there's a shop round the corner from me that has an OD-3 that I could probably get for around the same price as a Soul Food.

Before I pull the trigger, what are other people's thoughts on either pedal?

• Members

I just did a side by side with a Mustang III amp and an Epiphone ES-339 Pro and the Boss just sounded more open, less muffled? The Boss OD-3 is Buffered Bypass the EHX Soul Food is True Bypass....I love them both, but with the setup I'm using right now..I liked the sound of the Boss better.

CCPPYMMV

The build quality on the new EHX stuff is good as anything philthumb

od3vssf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The two pedals you're talking about are really different animals. If you can't play them check them out on youtube. The build on the EH is SMD and boss? I haven't looked inside one in a while but the boss used to have a 5 year warrantee. I like the soul food cranked. It sounds like waiting for the bus / ZZ top with a 2014 R8 VOS CS Les Paul

• 3 weeks later...
JHS Soul Food? If you want Klon? For a few more moneyz

[YOUTUBE]XoX2S_TyWnM[/YOUTUBE]

I wish I would have had a Klon available to do side by side comparisons when I was reviewing the Soul Food. Even though I didn't, I was still impressed with the stock pedal. It's an incredible deal for how inexpensive they are.

I wonder what they're doing to them with the JHS mod? It sounds really good based on what I'm hearing in that clip.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived