Fuzz Factory + Miles Davis = Win.

• Members

Recorded this the other day, managing to splice together a backing track with audio from the original session. Then I cranked up the Fuzz Factory and did my best crazed-John McLaughlin/Nels Cline/Marc Ribot impression on it. Pretty fun.

• Members

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys! The setup was actually pretty simple, as far as effects go:

Stagg T490 (Tele copy)

DOD DFX9 Digital Delay (in "inifinite" mode for the glitchy loops heard later in the track)

Zvex Vexter FF (with just enough "gate" to keep it from going nuts)

Ernie Ball VP Jr.

Fender NOS Tweed Blues Jr. (set totally clean with almost no reverb)

Oh, and Goodhonk, the Fuzz Face is definitely quirky - although setting it after the DOD's buffer tames it, seemingly narrowing the range of some of the controls a bit. It squeals less (although at extreme settings it will still oscillate) and the gain range is smaller as well. Ultimately, whether it's before or after a buffer, I think playing with the "stab" and "gate" controls can take you anwywhere from glitch city to fat sustain to theremin-on-steroids. . .just takes some practice dealing with the thing. And I will say that the "core" voice of the FF is still my favorite fuzz sound ever, just a really well-designed box, in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived