My idea for a minimalist Jazzmaster.

• Members

I'm a big fan of minimalism when it comes to guitars. I've always been a "set it and forget it" type player. I did some mockups and had a few ideas that I think would be fun for my Jazzmaster. Choosing the right pickup would be the hard part. I think a good WRHB clone would be the best option, but a Lace Sensor or Filtertron would be awesome too.

1c659f5ffe27f353761444cfc593a7c3.png.7b6af514f515b0305f77bc4e25716a6f.png

e81ad519f2aa12445cf63bac9675186e.png.7dcdc473be25f051f0f671012b6f6b48.png

44fb74aa0107c454ff629360c32fc107.png.32846e7ffdf4748d9cad617d46468ca1.png

It's definitely a unique look, and not bad at all IMO, although I instantly think of Sonic Youth when I see a JM with that color and a WRHB in there. I'm generally with the folks who prefer two pickups. More tonal variety, and I think it looks a bit better. Besides, what is the pickup switch there for on yours with only a single pickup? ;)

• Members
It's definitely a unique look' date=' and not bad at all IMO, although I instantly think of Sonic Youth when I see a JM with that color and a WRHB in there. I'm generally with the folks who prefer two pickups. More tonal variety, and I think it looks a bit better. Besides, what is the pickup switch there for on yours with only a single pickup? ;)[/quote']

Yeah, I get the Sonic Youth vibe just looking at it, that being said I'm not much of a Sonic Youth fan.

Haha, the online Jazzmaster editor wouldn't let me take the switch out, however leaving the switch on there would allow me to wire it up like an Esquire, which I think would be really fun! I was looking at a few other pickups that would be fun, like a Gold Foil or a lipstick tube.

Hahaha - that's great about the dressing room not letting you remove the switch! :D

You could wire it like an Esquire, or you could use it as a coil tap... there's a few possibilities for the switch, even with a single-pickup guitar. The single-pickup Fender Lead I from the early 80s actually had two switches - one that selected single / both / the other single coil, and one that selected series / parallel wiring when the two coils were being used together. It all depends on what pickup you want to use, and whether it has taps for both coils. If it does, you've got lots of options. :)

• Members

So, I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to either a WRHB clone or a GFS Retrotron/Dream 180. Since it's going in the middle and not the bridge, I think the extra bite from the retrotron or Dream 180 might be a bit better, it will also be cheaper, either way I can coil split them. Stoked for this project.

• Members

Dream 180s are rad. I used to have one in my LP Firebrand for years.

I suggest doing a faux esquire type thing and mount a pickup or two under the pickguard. It'll still look clean and simple, but give you a few more options.

• Members
Does it have to be a Warmoth body? I'm sure some of the other companies that manufacturer bodies would be willing to put a single JM pickup route right in the middle as a custom order.

Sorry, I probably worded that wrong, I'm using the body of my Squier Jazzmaster, is the pickguard by Warmoth that doesn't offer the JM cutout in the middle position. I've got enough experience to route the guard myself for it, but I don't feel like doing it ;)

• Members

I like the look but I think the pickup would be more aesthetically pleasing if it were moved just a touch toward the bridge.

I've been thinking of doing something like this.

I don't know why but I think it might be an interesting project.

Maybe with a JM-style switch on the lower horn instead of the strat one.

mHWBEku.jpg

• Members

Middle between the bridge and neck isn't my favorite tone position for a pickup.

If I did use a single pickup I'd place it half way between the bridge and middle positions.

I have a couple of guitars I've built with two pickups where the bridge is placed there and it gives some

great tones over bridge or middle.

Some SG Jr's had the pickup at this half way point and it seems to be a great spot for tone.

http://www.eddievegas.com/store/deta...BSON-SG-Jr.php

http://rebel-guitars.com/1965-gibson...erry-wvibrato/

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I probably worded that wrong, I'm using the body of my Squier Jazzmaster, is the pickguard by Warmoth that doesn't offer the JM cutout in the middle position. I've got enough experience to route the guard myself for it, but I don't feel like doing it ;)

There are other companies who will custom-cut a pickguard for you... :)

Frankly, given the disclaimers on their site, I wouldn't expect a Warmoth pickguard to properly line up with your existing pickguard holes and hardware anyway.

I like the look but I think the pickup would be more aesthetically pleasing if it were moved just a touch toward the bridge.

I've been thinking of doing something like this.

I don't know why but I think it might be an interesting project.

Maybe with a JM-style switch on the lower horn instead of the strat one.

mHWBEku.jpg

PHOTOSHOPPED!

;)

Actually, I think that might turn out kind of interesting. I'd definitely go for the JM style toggle and location over the Strat style switch. YMMV

Archived