NPD X2

• Members

I've had the Velvet for a few days actually, and just got the Box of War this morning. Decided to have a little shoot out with my Trifecta and Nano Muff. The velvet took some time to dial in. When I first plugged it in I was ready to immediately put it back in the box and post a FS thread. It was soooo dark and lifeless, using a strat through a peavey classic 30. Then I read the manual and it said not to run it after a buffered pedal. I had it after the HOG. When I took it out and ran it pre-board it came to life. I was expecting a sort of muffish flavor, and while it is ballpark, it doesn't have that classic muff ring to it. I don't really know how to describe it. Anyway, it sounds pretty damn good and kind of has its own thing going on.

The Trifecta is the best muff I've ever owned or heard in person, so the BOW had a daunting task ahead in trying to dethrone it. First impression is excellent. The Nano sounds really good but doesn't have the clarity of the Trifecta or BOW. In turn, the Trifecta had slightly less clarity than the BOW. The bass on the Nano disappears as the gain goes up, but stays pretty consistent on the other two. I have 2 more muffs coming to me and I'll see which one gets a permanent spot on the board in the coming weeks.

Finally, pics:

fetch?id=31119162&type=medium

fetch?id=31119163&type=medium

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

MIJ Boss, cool! I wish I was a fan of boss pedals, because I live in Japan and can get these things all day every day. Maxon stuff too.

Back to the NPD post, the Box of War has earned the muff spot on my board. The Velvet fuzz is a very cool fuzz, but I think it might get flipped. I was going to keep it because it has it's own voice qualities, but I just don't know if it will see any use with all of the other fuzzes I've been collecting.

• Members
You have 2 more muffs coming? Which ones?

Noel Pedals Cornet Fuzz and Skreddy Mayonaise MkIII. Already got the Cornet and it's pretty good. I like the BOW better though, so it's between that and the Skreddy, which I should receive sometime this month, hopefully.

• Members

Noel Pedals Cornet Fuzz and Skreddy Mayonaise MkIII. Already got the Cornet and it's pretty good. I like the BOW better though, so it's between that and the Skreddy, which I should receive sometime this month, hopefully.

I don't know the comet. I like that Wren and Cuff stuff though. I picked up a tall font russian, and wow that thing sounds really good. I never really bonded with muffs until that one. Perhaps now i shall join you on your journey to find the perfect muff. Mmmmmmmm.

• Members

That W&C TFR looks like a great pedal. You might already possess your perfect muff. I didn't travel too far down the proverbial rabbit hole. Some might disagree, but there's some cats out there that spend a loooot of money on fuzz. I try to do research, then acquire 3 or 4 of what my research led me to believe are best for me. Then I A/B them to see which one fits best. So far I have tried: EHX Nano Big Muff (too good a deal to not try) Barber Trifecta (Still one of my favorite muffs, with added tonebender voicings) W&C Box of War (reigning champ) Noel Cornet (saw burgs YT demo and had to try it) Wampler Velvet (no, not a muff, but hovers around that territory) Skreddy Mayonaise MKIII (when I receive it, will A/B with the BOW to see which one makes the final cut. Then I'm done. I might use the others in trade to keep the muff wheel rotating, but I won't spend any more money on a muff, at least in pedal format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

After a few weeks the Velvet and Cornet have been flipped. The Wren & Cuff Box of War has made it past what I consider to be the honeymoon period, but it still has to hold its own once the Skreddy arrives. I thought I would have it by now, but no... still waiting. :(

• Members

The BOW is way cool, in sound and looks. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone looking for a smooth, saturated muff. They're a little pricey but well worth it. Those interested can find them used for around $150.

It's so good that I'm skeptical the Skreddy will top it. I won't pass judgement now though. I'll just have to wait a little longer...

I just picked up this bad boy and I don't even have a bass!

img58797422.jpg

Not to derail the thread, but the CE-2b is very similar to the CE-2 - there's just a few component values that are different IIRC, but they have the same basic circuit and one can be fairly easily converted to the other... IOW, NICE score!

The BOW is way cool, in sound and looks. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone looking for a smooth, saturated muff. They're a little pricey but well worth it. Those interested can find them used for around $150.

It's so good that I'm skeptical the Skreddy will top it. I won't pass judgement now though. I'll just have to wait a little longer...

I grew up in the Muff era, when they were first being introduced and developed... and to be honest, back then I was never into them in a big way. I think a lot of it is the mids - I like stuff to cut through the mix a bit more than most Muffs do. However, I do appreciate the endless sustain and fat tones. A few years ago Marc offered to sell me a Pink Flesh Mk II, and I went for it - and I am SO happy I did! That thing is, without a doubt, the best sounding Muff-based pedal I've ever heard.

Marc really knows his stuff, and I'm a big fan of his work. If you get a chance to check out one of his pedals, I HIGHLY recommend it! philthumb

• Members

Thanks for the reassurance Phil. It took me a looong time to get ahold of a Skreddy, and my first one was a lunar module. Cool pedal. I wish I would have spent a few more dollars and got the deluxe or mini deluxe. The trim pots on the standard are a chore to say the least, but the sound is unbeatable for what it is. I've already bought in to the Mayonaise MK III and mine should be shipping out pretty soon. I requested a custom color so it might be a little longer.

Archived