Which fuzz face?

thom

• Members

More to test the new forum rather than part of an actual search. Pardon me the boring cliché thread title and subject, I'm aware the web's already flooded with identical stuff. I'm just curious, I'm not (yet) shopping for a new toy. I pretty much already spend my entire 2014 pedal budget, I'm gonna have to ignore my GAS for a while. If I can't resist though, and I do end up hunting for something new...A good fuzz face would be the main thing missing in my humble collection. All I've got now is a BYOC fuzz face, which after checking the competition on youtube clips, seems to be missing something.

So what's supposed to be the bees knees in the world of fuzz face clones these days? Jam Pedals Fuzz Phrase? Mojo Hand Crosstown fuzz? Oxfuzz, Fulltone, Monsterpiece, Sunface,...Or would a plain old (modded) dunlop do just as good a job? Or could some minor modding maybe turn the byoc into a fire breading monster?

Extra gain or tweakability isn't a MUST, but it'd be a nice bonus. I'm not a purist or anything, but as a reference I'd say jimmy's purple haze tone would be good enough for me. Not chockingly original or surprising, I know:)

• Members

I've only played two "fuzz face" pedals. One was a McFuzz Hot on a tourbox a good decade ago that was amazing, the other is the Monsterpiece NPN I've had for many years and still like a lot.

The newer dunlop fuzz faces sound very good. Honestly from listening to demos of various "boutique" fuzz faces most of them sound great, but they all sound a touch different. I think Monsterpiece has some fuzz face pedals now that are pretty tweakable compared to the simple NPN I have. If I were to get another fuzz face pedal I'd probably go with one of Monterpieces more decked out offerings.

• Members

Thanks.

I checked a ton more clips, and although there's abviously differences bewteen ge and silicon versions, I can't say I hear anything that would make me want to pick a pricey boutique fuzz face over one of those newer dunlops. Too bad they're not ideal for small crowded pedal boards though, and a tone/bias control of some sort would've been nice too.

I think I'll probably start by trying some different transistors in my byoc. I could put the most popular/famous ones on a switch, and see how that works out...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

My current fave is the Tone Factor/ Mojo Hand Huckleberry. I've got the early 3 knob Tone Factor version (Gain, Volume and Tone) but I understand it is the Granddaddy of the current Mojo Hand Crosstown Fuzz. It's a hybrid silicon/ germanium fuzz and the tone control gives really good variety. Cleans up pretty good too on guitar volume. I also have an early Monsterpiece NPN which is good. It is quite bright and has a lot of gain on tap (think early Gilmour tones) - I don't tend to run the gain wide open on this one and usually roll the guitar tone down a little to take the edge off.

Finally, I've got an MXR Classic 108. This is a bit warmer/darker sounding but switching in the buffer brightens it up so there is variety in there. Best clean up of the three with guitar volume though.

Overall, the Huckleberry gets the most use 'cos it can pretty well cop the tones of the other two quite easily. No longer made but I'd bet the Crosstown would hit the spot.

• Members

I actually tried ordering a Mojo Hand Crosstown at prymaxevintage, when they were doing a St. Patricks day sale. The coupon code didn't work, and apparantly neither did any of the prymaxe salesmen. No replies to any of my mails, no pedlols for me. The order was also for a Suhr Riot Reloaded btw, I was in a GAS'y mood I guess. I liked the Riot V1 I owned for a little while, it just didn't live up to it's price tag imo. Felt like it missed a little bite/grit/gain to get it out of the '80S hair metal territory into something a little more brutal.

Whatever, I'm derailing, thanks for the tips. I might try ordering a Crosstown fuzz again if prymaxevintage is willing to take my money when they do an easter sale or whatever.

• Members

Phil: Just read the review, thanks. It sorta just makes me want the pedal even more than I already did. It's just a matter of time. It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine...Muwahahaha.

Jasco: Though my mind is already made up, it's not the first time I change my mind at the last second:p

So please elaborate: What are those other peds you tried and compared the fulltone to? It'll sure as hell be a lot easier to find a used 69' fuzz locally, mojo hand effects aren't exactly easy to come by on the european used market:s

• Members

The Fuzz Face is a super simple circuit from what I understand. A lot of the tone has to do with the transistors used in them. There's 2 groups there, the more raunchy Silicon transistors and the smoother Germanium transistors. The Germanium transistor is very old school, if you were to buy them you need a voltage meter, etc... to check for variances, etc... some of these fetch a pretty hefty price tag. If you look at the AnalogMan Sunface you will see many varieties of them with different transistors in them ( white dot 275 nkt, red dot, etc.... ).

As you kmow Dunlop has come out with the pedalboard friendly mini fuzz face series that feature 2 silicon versions (blue and Hendrix) and 1 germanium (red). I ordered the Hendrix version last week and I also have a Skreddy BC109 that I will be AB'ing it with.

As far as the Fulltone 69 goes, there's 3 versions, the original, the slight repeat and the MKII. The original and SR are harder to get and more expensive. As Phil mentioned some builders have decided to add features to it to make it more tweakable, I'm sure the Crosstown is great. I used coupon code PEDAL15 last week on the Dunlop at proguitarshop.com and it worked.

• Members

i bought an original 69 to flip, and did so, but would have loved to keep it, it sounds wonderful. i've owned the nkt sunface, found it too mild. the one i owned the longest was a 90's dunlop red, had a lot of fun with that one. i liked placing my dyna comp after it, really smoothed things out, made it a little more predictable.

• Members
The Fuzz Face is a super simple circuit from what I understand. A lot of the tone has to do with the transistors used in them. There's 2 groups there, the more raunchy Silicon transistors and the smoother Germanium transistors. The Germanium transistor is very old school, if you were to buy them you need a voltage meter, etc... to check for variances, etc... some of these fetch a pretty hefty price tag. If you look at the AnalogMan Sunface you will see many varieties of them with different transistors in them ( white dot 275 nkt, red dot, etc.... ).

As you kmow Dunlop has come out with the pedalboard friendly mini fuzz face series that feature 2 silicon versions (blue and Hendrix) and 1 germanium (red). I ordered the Hendrix version last week and I also have a Skreddy BC109 that I will be AB'ing it with.

As far as the Fulltone 69 goes, there's 3 versions, the original, the slight repeat and the MKII. The original and SR are harder to get and more expensive. As Phil mentioned some builders have decided to add features to it to make it more tweakable, I'm sure the Crosstown is great. I used coupon code PEDAL15 last week on the Dunlop at proguitarshop.com and it worked.

I think I tried all transistor versions of the fuzz face along the way, and after checking tons of clips, I *think* what I like best would be a hybrid ge/si fuzzface clone with a tone control and a bit more gain.

I'm in Europe actually, and out of most large online retailers (pgs, tonefactor, prymaxevintage), only prymaxevintage has affordable rates for international shipping as well as a huge selection of brands in their catalogue....

• Members

I had two originals (one got stolen) and a MK II. I like the original a bit better, maybe just because I've used it longer and am used to the sound. But they're both pretty cool.

• Members
Ah' date=' makes sense. The reason I referenced pro guitar shop is that they do carry mojo hand fx. But mojo hand fx has a bunch of international dealers as well.[/quote']

Hmmm...Didn't know that actually, I'll have to take a look at them, thnks for the tip:)

• Members

I'm also on the hunt for a FF variant. Soon as I get off of this muff binge I'm looking at picking up one or more of these (in order of preference):

Foxrox CC Hybrid

Monsterpiece PNP

Fulltone 69

Mojo Hand Crosstown

MJM London

Please note that I haven't tried any of these, but my research has led me to believe at least one of these will fill my FF void. I might pick up one of the new Dunlop minis too, just can't decide whether I want the germanium or hendrix...

• Members

^ Nice selection, almost all of those were also on my short list...

I keeping coming back to the Crosstown though, together with the Fulltone '69 it's the only one that meets all the requirements:

-Great sounding clips, raving reviews

-Convenient footprint

-Not insanely pricey

-Tweakable/4controls

Archived