Amp modeling on the cheap side recommendations wanted

The Unknown

• Members

Have you ever tried just plugging your guitar directly into the computer? Just go straight in and record the parts. Nobody really listens to the guitar part unless its really up front anyway so just a flat, dead, direct part will do just fine. Just mix it way back. If you want your guitar way up front, maybe you should ask yourself just who you are trying to impress with the guitar section of the recording, some guitar guy listener with big hair who can play faster than you and will hate your guitar anyway? Just record direct and mix it back and move on. There are more more important things in life that you should be doing. 

• Members

The Unknown wrote:

Hi! I am looking for an amp modeling unit for direct recording purposes (not a software), with a nice clean, overdrive and distortion, nô additional effects, the cheaper the better. Any suggestions?

A Behringer BDI-21 "V-tone" - it's a knock off of the SansAmp, and meets your specifications. It costs about $30 here in the US. Keep the "drive" control turned down for clean guitar tones. 

• Members

Define cheap. You can score a Zoom G3 Or Digitech RP360XP under $200 new . They have effects, but you don't have to use them and both are capable of very good direct results. Having or not having effects doesn't really affect the price. You can go cheaper by going used  to older models, Zoom G2.1nu or Digitech RP355, wither can be had for less than $100.

You might also want to check out the Tech 21 Character series or the Joyo clones of them though they're no where near as versitile.

• Members

RaoulDuke wrote:

Have you ever tried just plugging your guitar directly into the computer? Just go straight in and record the parts. Nobody really listens to the guitar part unless its really up front anyway so just a flat, dead, direct part will do just fine. Just mix it way back. If you want your guitar way up front, maybe you should ask yourself just who you are trying to impress with the guitar section of the recording, some guitar guy listener with big hair who can play faster than you and will hate your guitar anyway? Just record direct and mix it back and move on. There are more more important things in life that you should be doing. 

+ 1 

You don't even need to use an audio jack/sound card or anything. Just smoosh your guitar cable into a usb port. The crunching sounds are normal and indicate a snug fit.

• Members

Mr.Grumpy wrote:

A Behringer BDI-21 "V-tone" - it's a knock off of the SansAmp, and meets your specifications. It costs about $30 here in the US. Keep the "drive" control turned down for clean guitar tones. 

Heck yes. I bought one for going direct from my pedal board in a live situation, and it works very well. The XLR out is just what I needed, and it was so nice, I bought it twice. That is, I got the smaller version (TM300; same tech, no XLR) to use for my dirty rythm sound. This is analog amp modeling, where they basically replicate the tone stack of the original amp and use op amps instead of tubes for the gain stage. Does it sound as good as a real tube amp? Not really, but it does sound very good, is practicle for recording and live use, and the price is friggin' right. Beats most digital modlers hands down, though the POD HD is quite good and might give it a run for it's money (at 12 - 13 times the price). It's replacing $1500 worth of gear in my live rig.

There is only one caveat: If you were hoping to get lower gain (clean or on the edge of breakup) Marshall or Boogie sounds, no such luck. The lowest gain setting will clip all of the time. The distortion sounds are awesome on 'em, but I would have liked to get a less distorted Marshall sound. The Fender setting will cover clean and on-the-verge-of-breakup sounds very nicely, however.

I don't know how it compares to the SansAmp. Never tried one of those, but I understand they are excellent as well.

Archived