Digitech GNX4 is waiting for me at home.

jds22

• Members

I am going to compare it to my POD XT Live. I like the idea of having a practice tool and recorder all in one device like the GNX4. However I've heard that the POD sounds better. I guess I'll have to run them both thru their paces and see which will suit me better. Have any of you compared the two? If so, what are your impressions?

Thanks,

Jerry

• Members

First impressions. Well I messed with it for about an hour. Sound wise, in my opinion, the POD beats it easily. Bear in mind I'm only playing thru headphones. I just think that the POD beats it in amp sounds and pedal sounds. I'm not talking about how accurate the amps are modeled, I'm just talking about good, useable amp sounds. To be fair to the GNX4, I really haven't tweaked the sounds yet or downloaded any patches. I'll try to get a better impression of the sounds this weekend. The built in drum machine is both cool and irritating. Cool because it's good for jamming, irritating because it's pointed out how bad I suck. :mad:

Right now I'm leaning towards sending the GNX4 back and keeping the POD XT Live. I should know for sure after this weekend.

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm hoping that more people reply this thread as I'm also thinking about buying this pedal:rolleyes:
I would like to learn more.
Now I only play vintage amps ('64 Blonde Bassman, Blackface Vibrolux reverb or a Blackface Super reverb) , boutique pedals and either a Relic Strat or an American Vintage Strat loaded with Kinmans...so you should understand that I'm particular about tone and sound. It HAS to be good!!;)
I would like as much feedback as possible, as it looks like I will have to order it without really getting the chance to try it for myself..:(
Thx in advance:)

• Members

I had one and found it unable to really cut through. I was running it through a Fender Blues Junior at the time. It sounded okay - but really wasn't as amazing as I thought it should be at the price point.

I've sinced moved on to a Vox ToneLab SE through an Alesis SUMO 100. Much better - but not as many bells and whistles (I liked the GNX's drum machine).

YMMV.
~A~

• Members

Dear Kewlpack, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this device made to be used with a speaker with a tweater?? I always assumed that pedals like this you could better plug them straight into either a mixer, studio monitors (with recording) and stuff like that.
So I'm not really going to use it with an amp.
Any ideas how it sounds then? :rolleyes:
I'm really looking for a solution for my pc and the road thing....

• Members

Kewlpack, you used it that way (with a tube amp) and didn't like the sound that much, right? But how does a drum computer sound on a guitar amp? I can't imagine that it sounds nice...

Any other things you can tell me about the GNX4?:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Uchison

Kewlpack, you used it that way (with a tube amp) and didn't like the sound that much, right? But how does a drum computer sound on a guitar amp? I can't imagine that it sounds nice...

Any other things you can tell me about the GNX4?
:cool:

When I used the GNX4 live, I actually ran it through my amp (as a monitor) and used the XLRs to the PA system for the room. We only used the drums once for accompaniment on an acoustic gig and they worked fine. That particular gig was a kid's praise and worship and they really got a kick out of the "tiny drummer in the box". :D

I also used it for PC recording and things always seemed to come out too fizzy/buzzy for my taste (on the gainier settings).

At the end of the day, I just wanted more real tube tone than what I was getting with the GNX4 and I didn't have a budget that would allow me to do much (like buy a fancy, versatile tube amp) - so the GNX4 was returned for credit and I moved on.

It was a good tool, just not exactly what I was looking for at the time. I really miss that drum machine though... :rolleyes:

~A~

• Members

Kewlpack, thanks for your replies..:)
Well, I probably will have to try this, because I'm not convinced that the sounds are going to be great.
When I heard the demos of the Vox Tonelab SE sound more convincing than the GNX 4.....:( but the features of the GNX4 is what I'm after....so there's only one way. I have to try it for myself....:rolleyes:
I will let you know, when I do so and what I tought..
;)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Gnx4 sounds tinny, I just bought a line 6 uber metal and chained that in front of the gnx4 with all the cab modeling turned off on the gnx4... line 6 distortion is much better I'll be getting rid of the gnx4 and get a pod, dont waste your coin on the gnx4

Archived