HAs anyone had experience with a Duncan JB in the bridge?

lowroadrevival

• Members

I am thinking about throwing "Seymour's favorite" combo in my Les Paul, that is the Jazz neck and JB bridge. I am a bit concerned that seymour and I may not have the same tastes in music though. Can anyone tell me about the JB ?

IS it shrill? Too high endy? Will it give me tight fat low end and low mids? Can it hold it's own with overdriven tube amps like a 140 watt orange? I dont want muddy, I dont want ice pick, just smooth, tight and fat.

For reference my favorite pickup to date was a Duncan Custom custom SH-11 bridge.

• Members

Originally posted by lowroadrevival

I am thinking about throwing "Seymour's favorite" combo in my Les Paul, that is the Jazz neck and JB bridge. I am a bit concerned that seymour and I may not have the same tastes in music though. Can anyone tell me about the JB ?

IS it shrill? Too high endy? Will it give me tight fat low end and low mids? Can it hold it's own with overdriven tube amps like a 140 watt orange? I dont want muddy, I dont want ice pick, just smooth, tight and fat.

For reference my favorite pickup to date was a Duncan Custom custom SH-11 bridge.

It's is pretty shrill, but it pairs well with the midrange of a gibson. It's not as elegant as other p.u.s, certainly not as smooth, but you can always compensate with the amp.

Why do you want ot change?

• Members

Originally posted by musketeer

It's is pretty shrill, but it pairs well with the midrange of a gibson. It's not as elegant as other p.u.s, certainly not as smooth, but you can always compensate with the amp.

Why do you want ot change?

I want to change because i LIKE to change. :) It's the ever changing quest. My stock pickups sound decent, but I have played with duncans in the past, so I know it can sound better than it does.

Shrill=not good. Compensate with the amp=not good.

Maybe I'll jsut get the custom custom again, or one of the super secret backroom EVH custom shop models. I am defintely wanting more of a tight, focused, distorted sound these days. No flub, no mud, nothing shrill.

• Members

Originally posted by UnkleSlam

I've had that combo. It really does sound great.
However
, I'm probably more fond of the '59 Neck/Custom Custom bridge combo.

The Jazz and Custom Custom combo would probably be awesome.

What's the deal with the 59 neck? I hear a lot about that one too.

I think the Sh-11 and jazz neck would be cool, but I worry it might be a bit too "off" when I switch form one to the other?

• Members

What's the deal with the 59 neck? I hear a lot about that one too.

I think the Sh-11 and jazz neck would be cool, but I worry it might be a bit too "off" when I switch form one to the other?

The '59 has that something special for me. It's not as clear or defined as the Jazz, which is cool for somethings, not so cool for others. The Jazz is probably the better all around pickup,but the '59 just fits me better. Particularly for leads.

I know what you mean about it being a bit "off" when you switch from one to the other. That's kinda the problem I have with the JB/Jazz combo. The Jazz just sounds better than the JB. It's a good combo, but if I had it to do over again I would go with a Custom Custom bridge no doubt.

• Members

Originally posted by UnkleSlam

The '59 has that something special for me. It's not as clear or defined as the Jazz, which is cool for somethings, not so cool for others. The Jazz is probably the better all around pickup,but the '59 just fits me better. Particularly for leads.

I know what you mean about it being a bit "off" when you switch from one to the other. That's kinda the problem I have with the JB/Jazz combo. The Jazz just sounds better than the JB. It's a good combo, but if I had it to do over again I would go with a Custom Custom bridge no doubt.

Hmm...maybe the 59 is the way to go for me too then. I kind of want this :

Tight, fat, punchy, marshally brown sound rhythm tones from the bridge. Then I almost use my neck as a fuzz pedal if that makes sense. I want it to fuzz a bit, but not flub or fart, and not too much low end. That's the problem I have with the stock 496r neck. It has so much bass compared to the stock 500T bridge, I can't even use it wothout readjusting my amps eq when I switch, and that's not reasonable to me.

I want them to be EQ-wise balanced, but tonally different in the ways I described.

:confused:

• Members

I've got a JB (bridge) / '59 (neck) in my 84 Les Paul Standard.

To my ears the JB is hot and crunchy with great harmonics (both natural and pinch). It' main characteristic is a pronounced upper mid snarl. It is bright, but I don't find it ice pick shrill. There is not much low end, so it is definitely not fluby or muddy.

It is a great pup for modern rock and hard rock sounds, it doesn't really cop vintage tone or sound great clean. If you want to hear a JB loaded Les Paul and Marshall listen to the Sonic Temple album by the Cult.

The '59 neck is very creamy and sounds good clean or with distortion. It can get a little bassy

I'm considering switching to a '59 (bridge) / Jazz (neck)

Hope this helps

• Members

Originally posted by confused

I've got a JB (bridge) / '59 (neck) in my 84 Les Paul Standard.

To my ears the JB is hot and crunchy with great harmonics (both natural and pinch). It' main characteristic is a pronounced upper mid snarl. It is bright, but I don't find it ice pick shrill. There is not much low end, so it is definitely not fluby or muddy.

It is a great pup for modern rock and hard rock sounds, it doesn't really cop vintage tone or sound great clean. If you want to hear a JB loaded Les Paul and Marshall listen to the Sonic Temple album by the Cult.

The '59 neck is very creamy and sounds good clean or with distortion. It can get a little bassy

I'm considering switching to a '59 (bridge) / Jazz (neck)

Hope this helps

It definitely helps. Thanks !!

Pickup selection is a crapshoot. It's totally subjective to the player's ears. Shrill to some, is hot to others. I hate this.

• Members

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Good for you.:p

• Members

I have a Jazz/JB combination in one of my guitars...the Jazz is sweet and articulate and the JB is sassy and in your face for lead work (but not overbearing). It is a Jekkle & Hyde affair, or sweet and sassy? Anyway...it is one of my favorite combinations and covers ALOT of ground :)

• Members

Originally posted by StratStevo

I have a Jazz/JB combination in one of my guitars...the Jazz is sweet and articulate and the JB is sassy and in your face for lead work (but not overbearing). It is a Jekkle & Hyde affair, or sweet and sassy? Anyway...it is one of my favorite combinations and covers ALOT of ground
:)

plus putting a coil-tap in 'em gives it a nice vintage-ish vibe option as well, right? ;)

Archived