Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

HAs anyone had experience with a Duncan JB in the bridge?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StratStevo
    That would be the Jazz it has a higher resonant peak

nice. perhaps i will consider this jazz/jb combo on an sg in the near future
    <div class="signaturecontainer">SOCC.FAB.POTnef.SBC.HCF XHVA member #2<br />
    <br />
    <font size="1">fs/t: fender MIM tele std. (blue), microsynth(guitar), boss ph-3, sd-1, dod fx-25b, intelliphase</font></div>

Comment

I hate Decisions !!!!!!

To amke it worse, you can buy the JB/jazz combo as a set pretty cheap, to go custom custom and '59 combo I owuld have to buy them seperately.

Can you get nice brown sound EVH tones from the JB ?

Comment

Originally posted by lowroadrevival
        Can you get nice brown sound EVH tones from the JB ?

as long as you never, ever change your strings

no, i have no idea
        <div class="signaturecontainer">SOCC.FAB.POTnef.SBC.HCF XHVA member #2<br />
        <br />
        <font size="1">fs/t: fender MIM tele std. (blue), microsynth(guitar), boss ph-3, sd-1, dod fx-25b, intelliphase</font></div>

Comment

JB sucks.

Comment

The covered versions sound great in mahogany guitars. Sort of like a Super Distortion with less box and more bite. In a maple-capped guitar they're very upper-mid, NWOBHM, Euro-metal sounding which may be why some people hate them.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">*please send me evenings and weekends*<br />
            <br />
            member- HCFXSCOC</div>

Comment

Originally posted by AF-100
              The covered versions sound great in mahogany guitars. Sort of like a Super Distortion with less box and more bite. In a maple-capped guitar they're very upper-mid, NWOBHM, Euro-metal sounding which may be why some people hate them.

Aha, that might be the problem. I've tried them in Les Pauls only. And I hate Euro-metal.

taco

Comment

Originally posted by papa taco

Aha, that might be the problem. I've tried them in Les Pauls only. And I hate Euro-metal.

taco

AHA! That may be a problem for me. This would be going in a Les paul...hmmm. Maybe I better not go with a JB then. Extreme upper mids is what I am trying to avoid.

My les Paul:

Comment

I have a '59 in the bridge of my Ibanez Artist, sounds really good, medium output and sweet top end. The neck '59 can get a bit too plummy with overdrive but has nice bell-like cleans.
                  <br />
                  member- HCFXSCOC</div>

Comment

The JB is modern -- Jerry Cantrell used a bridge JB on all the Alice in Chians albums

The JB is NOT a vintage PAF or hot PAF sound -- PAFs hot or vintage have a lot more bass response and a different midrange quality

I would not recommend the JB if your looking for AC/DC or EVH sounds

AC/DC is '59 all the way
                    EVH I'd recommend the Duncan Custom or Custom Custom

Dude go to the duncan website and listen for yourself
                    (http://www.seymourduncan.com) there are sound clips of all the pickups

Comment

Originally posted by confused
                      The JB is modern -- Jerry Cantrell used a bridge JB on all the Alice in Chians albums

The JB is NOT a vintage PAF or hot PAF sound -- PAFs hot or vintage have a lot more bass response and a different midrange quality

I would not recommend the JB if your looking for AC/DC or EVH sounds

AC/DC is '59 all the way
                      EVH I'd recommend the Duncan Custom or Custom Custom

Dude go to the duncan website and listen for yourself
                      (http://www.seymourduncan.com) there are sound clips of all the pickups

Ahhh...that's what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the custom custom and 59 in the neck option.

Thanks for the help!

Now the real question..the imortant stuff..
                      Zebras or all black in this:

Comment

Originally posted by lowroadrevival

Ahhh...that's what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the custom custom and 59 in the neck option.

Thanks for the help!

Now the real question..the imortant stuff..
                        Zebras or all black in this:

Zebra is gay. My JB was zebra. It sits in a little used guitar acting all pretty but sounding like upper mid harshbitch.
                        t
                        a
                        c
                        o

Comment

Originally posted by papa taco

Zebra is gay. My JB was zebra. It sits in a little used guitar acting all pretty but sounding like upper mid harshbitch.
                          t
                          a
                          c
                          o

Yeah...**************** those zebras. Zebras say to me..
                          "LOOK! I HAVE INSTALLED CUSTOM PICKUPS".
                          Not really what I'm going for. I don't know what I was thinking. Basic black it is.

Comment

hey Lowroad, what did you get?

I got a Cort Viva Gold II today which has a soft maple body (no cap) and I'm thinking of replacing the Mighty Mite humbuckers (that are in it stock and sound pretty thin) with either one of these:

Bridge:
                            SD JB
                            SD Custom Custom
                            DiMarzio Norton
                            DiMarzio Super Distortion

Neck:
                            SD Jazz
                            SD Pearly Gates
                            SD '59
                            DiMarzio Air Norton

I want them to be coil-tappable, have a fat, yet tight low-end, clean has to be CLEAN, and if it can sound a tad vintage-ish, and still be able to do heavy metal/speed metal, all the better.

My tone is all about definition, clarity and punch.

I'm leaning the most towards the Custom Custom/Jazz combo right now...
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://members.lycos.nl/movingneedles/index.html" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">M</font><font color="orangered">o</font><font color="orange">v</font><font color="limegreen">i</font><font color="seagreen">n</font><font color="royalblue">g</font><font color="red">N</font><font color="orangered">e</font><font color="orange">e</font><font color="limegreen">d</font><font color="seagreen">l</font><font color="royalblue">e</font><font color="blue">s</font></b> Recording Studio</a><br />
                            <br />
                            <font size="1"><i><b><font color="deeppink">Looking for:</font></b></i> <br />
                            -MXR Envelope Filter &amp; Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)<br />
                            <br />
                            <b>For sale:<br />
                            -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual</b>; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!</font></div>

Comment

Damn this is an old thread. Piece of advice when experimenting with pickups: experiment with pots too. 250k pots make all the difference with the JB which will sound harsh with 500k pots.
                              <br />
                              member- HCFXSCOC</div>

Comment

The JB is somewhat shrill. I agree with whoever said Custom - bridge/'59 - neck. Thats what I have, and it sounds pretty damn good.
                                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/homeiscoloredgold" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/homeiscoloredgold</a></div>

Comment

Working...
                                X