Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HAs anyone had experience with a Duncan JB in the bridge?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StratStevo
    That would be the Jazz it has a higher resonant peak

nice. perhaps i will consider this jazz/jb combo on an sg in the near future
    <div class="signaturecontainer">SOCC.FAB.POTnef.SBC.HCF XHVA member #2<br />
    <br />
    <font size="1">fs/t: fender MIM tele std. (blue), microsynth(guitar), boss ph-3, sd-1, dod fx-25b, intelliphase</font></div>

Comment

I hate Decisions !!!!!!

To amke it worse, you can buy the JB/jazz combo as a set pretty cheap, to go custom custom and '59 combo I owuld have to buy them seperately.

Can you get nice brown sound EVH tones from the JB ?

Comment

Originally posted by lowroadrevival
        Can you get nice brown sound EVH tones from the JB ?

as long as you never, ever change your strings

no, i have no idea
        <div class="signaturecontainer">SOCC.FAB.POTnef.SBC.HCF XHVA member #2<br />
        <br />
        <font size="1">fs/t: fender MIM tele std. (blue), microsynth(guitar), boss ph-3, sd-1, dod fx-25b, intelliphase</font></div>

Comment

JB sucks.

Comment

The covered versions sound great in mahogany guitars. Sort of like a Super Distortion with less box and more bite. In a maple-capped guitar they're very upper-mid, NWOBHM, Euro-metal sounding which may be why some people hate them.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">*please send me evenings and weekends*<br />
            <br />
            member- HCFXSCOC</div>

Comment

Originally posted by AF-100
              The covered versions sound great in mahogany guitars. Sort of like a Super Distortion with less box and more bite. In a maple-capped guitar they're very upper-mid, NWOBHM, Euro-metal sounding which may be why some people hate them.

Aha, that might be the problem. I've tried them in Les Pauls only. And I hate Euro-metal.

taco

Comment

Originally posted by papa taco

Aha, that might be the problem. I've tried them in Les Pauls only. And I hate Euro-metal.

taco

AHA! That may be a problem for me. This would be going in a Les paul...hmmm. Maybe I better not go with a JB then. Extreme upper mids is what I am trying to avoid.

My les Paul:

Comment

I have a '59 in the bridge of my Ibanez Artist, sounds really good, medium output and sweet top end. The neck '59 can get a bit too plummy with overdrive but has nice bell-like cleans.
                  <br />
                  member- HCFXSCOC</div>

Comment

The JB is modern -- Jerry Cantrell used a bridge JB on all the Alice in Chians albums

The JB is NOT a vintage PAF or hot PAF sound -- PAFs hot or vintage have a lot more bass response and a different midrange quality

I would not recommend the JB if your looking for AC/DC or EVH sounds

AC/DC is '59 all the way
                    EVH I'd recommend the Duncan Custom or Custom Custom

Dude go to the duncan website and listen for yourself
                    (http://www.seymourduncan.com) there are sound clips of all the pickups

Comment

Originally posted by confused
                      The JB is modern -- Jerry Cantrell used a bridge JB on all the Alice in Chians albums

The JB is NOT a vintage PAF or hot PAF sound -- PAFs hot or vintage have a lot more bass response and a different midrange quality

I would not recommend the JB if your looking for AC/DC or EVH sounds

AC/DC is '59 all the way
                      EVH I'd recommend the Duncan Custom or Custom Custom

Dude go to the duncan website and listen for yourself
                      (http://www.seymourduncan.com) there are sound clips of all the pickups

Ahhh...that's what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the custom custom and 59 in the neck option.

Thanks for the help!

Now the real question..the imortant stuff..
                      Zebras or all black in this:

Comment

Originally posted by lowroadrevival

Ahhh...that's what I was looking for. I think I'll go with the custom custom and 59 in the neck option.

Thanks for the help!

Now the real question..the imortant stuff..
                        Zebras or all black in this:

Zebra is gay. My JB was zebra. It sits in a little used guitar acting all pretty but sounding like upper mid harshbitch.
                        t
                        a
                        c
                        o

Comment

Originally posted by papa taco

Zebra is gay. My JB was zebra. It sits in a little used guitar acting all pretty but sounding like upper mid harshbitch.
                          t
                          a
                          c
                          o

Yeah...**************** those zebras. Zebras say to me..
                          "LOOK! I HAVE INSTALLED CUSTOM PICKUPS".
                          Not really what I'm going for. I don't know what I was thinking. Basic black it is.

Comment

hey Lowroad, what did you get?

I got a Cort Viva Gold II today which has a soft maple body (no cap) and I'm thinking of replacing the Mighty Mite humbuckers (that are in it stock and sound pretty thin) with either one of these:

Bridge:
                            SD JB
                            SD Custom Custom
                            DiMarzio Norton
                            DiMarzio Super Distortion

Neck:
                            SD Jazz
                            SD Pearly Gates
                            SD '59
                            DiMarzio Air Norton

I want them to be coil-tappable, have a fat, yet tight low-end, clean has to be CLEAN, and if it can sound a tad vintage-ish, and still be able to do heavy metal/speed metal, all the better.

My tone is all about definition, clarity and punch.

I'm leaning the most towards the Custom Custom/Jazz combo right now...
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://members.lycos.nl/movingneedles/index.html" target="_blank"><b><font color="red">M</font><font color="orangered">o</font><font color="orange">v</font><font color="limegreen">i</font><font color="seagreen">n</font><font color="royalblue">g</font><font color="red">N</font><font color="orangered">e</font><font color="orange">e</font><font color="limegreen">d</font><font color="seagreen">l</font><font color="royalblue">e</font><font color="blue">s</font></b> Recording Studio</a><br />
                            <br />
                            <font size="1"><i><b><font color="deeppink">Looking for:</font></b></i> <br />
                            -MXR Envelope Filter &amp; Blue Box ( both block logo's, +boxes and manuals)<br />
                            <br />
                            <b>For sale:<br />
                            -Boss SG-1 Slow Gear Manual</b>; VGC, 1979 print. Make me an offer!</font></div>

Comment

Damn this is an old thread. Piece of advice when experimenting with pickups: experiment with pots too. 250k pots make all the difference with the JB which will sound harsh with 500k pots.
                              <br />
                              member- HCFXSCOC</div>

Comment

The JB is somewhat shrill. I agree with whoever said Custom - bridge/'59 - neck. Thats what I have, and it sounds pretty damn good.
                                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/homeiscoloredgold" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/homeiscoloredgold</a></div>

Comment

Working...
                                X