Fender Twin 65 Reissue or Roland JC-120

KjStrat62

• Members

Originally posted by 4nkam

Both are great for cleans but the feel is what stands out most IMO. The Twin will give you a thick snappy round response and the JC will give you a more hi-fi shimmer.

MJ

Thanks for the input. Would I be correct to say that the Fender twin may be more pedal freindly as opposed to the JC-120?? In my situation I am using a Roland VG-88.

• Moderators

Both will have a great clean sound.

The Twin will likely sound more traditional, and also "warmer". (there's an overused amp-adjective for you) The Roland has a really crystaline, glassy preciseness to it.

I think either will take pedals well, but the Twin will respond better to ODs/distortions. With the Roland, however, you can run just about any delay/verb/modulation out front and still get a very clear sound.

• Members

The JC120 has a reputation for great cleans and, of course a fantastic chorus. It also has some of the worst on-board distortion I have ever heard.

The 65 Twin RI is also a great clean amp with tube reverb and vibrato (tremolo). But at 85 watts, you really have to be in a huge hall to crank it.

The Vibroverb, at 50 watts, will get crunchy at a slightly more manageable volume level. But it costs twice as much as the Twin.

If your main goal is super headroom and you can depend on pedals for dirt, go for the JC120. Of course, you won't be able to get the full effect of some pedals, like boosts, since there won't be any tubes to drive.

And, the JC120 is HEAVY. Make sure you get casters. Or you could also try a JC90.

• Members

my take...get the limited edition twin...those are really cool amps and it'll hold it's value....

i wouldn't touch a jc-120 even if it was free....i think they sound horrible.....

have you played 'em?....lot's of folks like all of them but what matters is what you think....personally i'm not a huge fan of the twin either...but that's me......all that really matters is what you like.....

for clean amps i like ampeg, hiwatt, marshall for tube and old kustoms and peaveys for solidstate.....

d

• Members

jc120 if you want super clean, sparlky... and no maintenence, plus it's cheaper... but if you really like that fender sound, a twin is never a bad idea.. i think i prefer jc120, or a smaller tube amp.. the chorus on the jc120 is unbelievable

• Members

Originally posted by dave esmond

i wouldn't touch a jc-120 even if it was free....i think they sound horrible.....

That's funny that you say that because I grew to feel the same way about them, having had one for four or five years. I grew to dislike the sound so much that it was relegated to being a keyboard amp. Sure it's great and transparent for effects, but I'm a guy who digs the sound of an overdriven amp, too, and you're not gonna get that here. The sound of a JC-120 chorus almost makes me puke nowadays.

Very reliable, great if you want to use it as a transparent amp, but I still hate them.

• Members

They are both great amps and very similar in many respects: loud, heavy, mucho clean headroom, take pedals well

I think each amp is better suited to diffent styles of music.

Twin: country, classic rock, 70's pop, psychadelic

JC120: modern rock, 80's pop and 80's alternative

Play them both and let your ears be the deciding factor

I would buy used and I wouldn't worry about reliablity issues with either amp -- they've both been around a while and have been toured with extensively.

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

It's a no brainer - Fender Vibroverb - and make sure you get a TAN one!
:mad:

Vibroverb.jpg

I treid out one of these tan Vibroverbs about 2 weeks ago. I can got a even swap for my amp now. It was a ok amp but wasn't really that impressed. Am I missing something here???

• Members

Personally I would prefer the twin.

I have gigged both in my past spending about 4 years on each.

My aim was clean headroom. Both will get you clean headroom for any gig.

I personally think it comes down to player dynamics when choosing between the two.

The JC120 is hard and up-front with an immediate response. It will not translate sutble picking articulation well. It won't bloom notes like a tube amp.

The twin will be more dynamic and reflect subtle picking dynamics.

It really comes down to playing style and approach. Both amps are readily available at some music store in your area and should be played in person.

The JC120 worked very well for me in the mid-80s.....I later became a more dynamic player and returned to tubes with a twin.

However, if I were to use a POD, Tonelab, VG-88 type rig I'd seriously consider the JC120 or another SS option (like PA, Key amp, etc...).

Bb

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I would find a SF twin. They are built far better than the reissues and they are far cheaper, too.

+1 on that if your going for a twin. I would go for the jc-120, mainly because I already have two tube amp (fender,mesa) and I love the jc-120 for the clean. As a clean only amp I really love the jc-120, but some have to have a clean tube amp. Not me, tubes have never been "that" clean to me, compared to SS that is.

Archived