Voodoo labs Pedal power questions-

cqc6

• Members

Hello All,

I am still searching for a Power supply after not being happy with my DC Brick because of noise issues. I have tried EVERYTHING (new cords and moving the pedals around/also a Hum Eliminator) and just gave up. I returned it.

PedalPower2 questions-

Are the Line6 outlets switchible?

Between Line6 and 9volt?

I heard talk of some switched on it-

Does anyone have a pic of them?

Any other info appreciated. I need a Power Supply with no noise problems. I wanna check out this one and the MKE pedal power unit. Thanks a bunch all!

• Members

There are 2 dedicated power outs that are switchable between Line6 mode and standard 9v mode. I do believe all the Line6 mode does is make it 9v 200mA output, so you could just technically leave it in the Line6 mode if you want, and it shouldn't hurt non Line6 pedals as long as your polarity and voltage are matched up to the pedal.

• Members

If you had noise issues with the Brick, it was either because the outputs on that one isn't isolated (they all share the same ground potential, which can cause ground loop hum) or because the adapter it runs off of is the "switching" type. If the noise was more of a high-pitched whine, the second cause would be likely.

The Pedal Pad power supply you linked to would be more of the same, I'm afraid - the outputs are not isolated, and the main power supply is the switching type...

The Pedal Power 2 has a regular transformer design (so it won't cause your delay to whine) and all outputs are isolated (so all pedals think they are alone, and no ground loops can form within the pedalboard). It's expensive, but you get what you pay for... :)

The Ebtech Hum Eliminator works by isolating the source (connected to its input) from the next unit in line. For instance, if you get ground loop hum when running two amps in parallel, inserting the Hum Eliminator on the line to one of the amps would kill the ground loop (and the hum). But it isn't a noise gate, and neither can it do anything about noise generated within the pedalboard itself (i.e. noise that is already in the signal being fed to it). You'd have to find the spot inside the effects chain (i.e. insert it between two of the pedals) where breaking up the ground connection between the two pedals would do the most good, to be able to use it. But even then, you'd still have to power all the pedals after the Ebtech from a separate supply (to avoid re-connecting the ground loop). So it is a great tool to stop amps run in parallel from humming, but it won't do much more than that.

/Andreas

• Members

Digging up this thread (I found it while searching for another thread, which now seems to be gone)...

The Line6 outputs are still 9vDC (at least that's what I've come to understand - they may actually be a little higher, but not severely so). The difference between the regular and L6 modes is that the max current output is raised from 100mA to 200mA.

The PP2 can give you 18vDC from two outputs linked in series (use a special 18 volt cable from Voodoo Lab for this). In fact, you can even get 24 volts if you switch both outputs to the 12 volt setting.

/Andreas

• 5 months later...

Archived