Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOss DS-1 Appreciation Thread

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i still have my DS1, it wasmy first ever pedal-bought back in 1992, it's pretty beat up, but i take it out every now and again, my friend is gonna mod it for me when he's done with my Rat.
    good deals with Peeling Paint, TJ000, Puckman, Angelhair,T3, Chitown Terror ,hangwire,KjStrat62,
    senor-penguin,I.P.Freely,Fender&EHX4ever,Gregovertone,Vi cShat,Virex,rdm,tee money,no fate,costch,Phil O'Keefe,fuzzface71,brandnewzo

Comment

I like the sd1 better. Im sure the analogman or any other modded ds1 prolly sounds fantastic though!

Comment

I hate that pedal completely. I hated it years ago, but when I came onto this forum and heard all the people raving I decided to give it a try again. It still sucked. Really fake and plastic sounding to my ears.

Comment

I used on in the Late 80's & Liked it .
          VERY CLEAR & TIGHT Not buzzy/mushy like all the other DS-1's I have tried latley
          Must have been a Jap one

I bought one at a Pawn Shop last year without trying,
          It sux you can hear a clean tone underlying the distortion. Its either Too boomy or too bright.
          A local guy modded it for me & it still sux. Its made in Taiwan.

Is there THAT MUCH of a difference between the Jap & Taiwan
          DS-1's or did I get rid of the best DS-1 ever made

Comment

Well it's been a while now and the DS-1 remains my consent distortion pedal.Maybe my amp/guitar combo is made for this pedal. Who knows
            Fender Bassman 59RI LTD Amp EH Stereo Cathedral Reverb Fulltone GT-500 Fulltone FD-2 Maxon CS-550 Stereo Chorus Fender 2004 50 th Anniversary Stratocaster

Comment

I have one with the Indyguitarist mod, I like it.
              http://www.myspace.com/thisissaucyjack
              www.ghostelectric.com

Comment

Absolutely terrible pedal. I'd appreciate it if I never had to see one again. I challenge anyone to play the Jacques Fuseblower 2 distortion pedal and then come back and tell me the Boss DS-1 is better.

Comment

I've played a couple of stock DS-1s that sounded ok but I wasn't convinced to keep one until I got the Keeley DS-1 Ultra. That pedal sounds so much better than stock IMO. Keeley took a decent pedal and gave it balls.
                  www.effects411.com

Band:
                  Fortunate Son
                  http://www.myspace.com/fortunate1son

Comment

a modded SD-1 is wonderful.
                    i hate ds-1s...
                    We're in a cave at the end of the world, cooking and eating our friends.

Comment

Clothes comes from China.

talk is cheap

Not my band's site www.jubie.se

Comment

I never cared for the sound of the DS-1 going into an amp, BUT, when I was using a POD and later a GT6 I used a DS-1 for boost and loved it. I think it is a great pedal for use with amp modeling gear.
                        Guitars: Fender, PRS, Schecter, Squier

Amps: Fender, Bad Cat, Orange, Vox

Effects: Wampler, Z Vex, Electro Harmonix, Dunlop, Zoom, TC

Pickups: Dominger Custom Pickups, Reilander Custom Pickups

Comment

Bump Still think the thing sounds good going through a nice tube amp
                          Fender Bassman 59RI LTD Amp EH Stereo Cathedral Reverb Fulltone GT-500 Fulltone FD-2 Maxon CS-550 Stereo Chorus Fender 2004 50 th Anniversary Stratocaster

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerman
                            I've played a couple of stock DS-1s that sounded ok but I wasn't convinced to keep one until I got the Keeley DS-1 Ultra. That pedal sounds so much better than stock IMO. Keeley took a decent pedal and gave it balls.

My thoughts exactly. The ds-1 was the keeley pedal I liked the most of the 12 keely pedals I tried... which is a little odd because I thought I would like the java boost or the comp or the ts-9 more, but I didn't. The keeley ds-1 gave me an instant Joe Satriani lead & rythem sound (and that is actually what I look for in a distortion pedal) when set as a boost before a slightly clipping marshall 18w clone. Huge wall of tight distortion.

The stock ds-1 I tried in a local store was a total joke. bzzzzzzzz kggggggggg bzzzzzzzz. Those older japanese ones just have to be better I suppose .
                            Vox Humana stratocasters - Area51 wah - Pigtronix EP-1 - Digitech WH-1 - boss TU-2 - Boss FA-1 - Keeley Fuzzhead - Fulltone 70 - Diamond Compressor - Fulltone Fulldrive 10th anni - Lovepedal Eternity Catalinbread DLS - Timmy - boss ce-1 - boss ce-2 (jp) - EHX DMM - line6 echopark - koch classictone & Vox AC30H2

Comment

DS-1 is like a bad cut of beef. You can't eat it by itself. But if you marinade it, grind it up, and cook it with a bunch of spices then you can chew it up and swallow it without noticing how bad it really is. But if you do all that to a better cut of beef it's going to taste better.

Comment

Much better

I still use a compressor instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X