The Boss PN-2

StrangeDay

• Members

Whaddaya goin' do? It isn't made anymore; it's idiotically overpriced. That said I had one for ten years and it never broke down. I got all boutiquey and gear snobby and sold the PN-2 because it was a boss for gods sake and tried:

Menatone Pleasure Trem
Perscription Electronics throb
Diaz Tremodillo

and a few others I forget.....I ended up buying another PN-2 and ended up putting it back on the board. It isn't "amp like" the way some of those other pedals are. I found I didn't really like "amp like" as much. But these days its like the DM-2 or 3; a good pedal stupidly overpriced because it's out of production. Its a little different from most trems; definitly more machine like and sterile-but it seems to stick out more and cut through better for me. Some of those so called warm, boutique amp like trems got lost for some reason....

• Members
Originally posted by StrangeDay

This sounds like a really cool pedal!! Does the band Slowdive use it on the Souvlaki album?

But, dude, some jerk is trying to sell one used for $200
:mad:
What the hell?

I got mine for 50 bucks. Sold it for like 150.

• Members

The PN-2 is pretty cool. It's not warm sounding or vintage sounding at all, it's a very modern sounding mechanical sort of tremolo. For the price it sells for now it's not really worth it.

I replaced mine with a Demeter Tremulator which just has to be about the best tremolo ever...I couldn't imagine anything sounding better.

• Members

Originally posted by espechemode

The PN-2 is pretty cool. It's not warm sounding or vintage sounding at all, it's a very modern sounding mechanical sort of tremolo. For the price it sells for now it's not really worth it.

I replaced mine with a Demeter Tremulator which just has to be about the best tremolo ever...I couldn't imagine anything sounding better.

yeah I got it from u! I traded u the rc20 I got for 100 bucks.

• Members

I got mine for 20$, blinking LED did not work but that was an easy fix, I got it off a bassplayer
great tremolo, slight volume drop, but very decent tremolo ounds, anything from slow and soft pulsating to hard and fast chopper tremolo sounds, and the stereo panner is a nice bonus too.

• Members

these are more popular cuz they're long since out of production... why? Something I've always wondered about roland... I went down there one day to see if they could fix mine and refused but gave me the schematic copy for free(in case I found someone who did.. and sure enuff).

They're also popular because of the bands that used them back in the day: MBV, slowdive(according to gg), spiritualized, smash pumps, etc...

BUT those bands used em cuz there werent any trem or pan pedals out at the time? Prolly didnt want to lift something like a fender twin or vox ac30 around just for trem(smiths how soon is now?).

I don't notice any volume drop on mine whne the trem is activated(but hell, it is a trem... what is it supposed rise higher than yer norm volume?).

There is a lil blip when bypassed i've noticed sometimes(not always) but if I activate a compressor.. it goes away. Also, w/ something like my zvex supa dupa boost kills the blip and raises the amount of strong trem(although uneeded).

Lastly, slowdive used more reverb. delay, and chrous(jc-120?) on souvlaki than pn-2(if you can find trem).

Archived