OT: Drum machine advice?

BmoreTele

• Members

I'm looking for a good drum machine for backing tracks. I have a Roland TR-505 and a Yamaha DD20, but I'm looking for something with a little more swing and maybe a bit more modern computer friendly.

I saw a video demo of the Rpland DR880 and it looked quite cool, if a bit pricey.

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

I'm not really into the dance trance trip hop sound that you get with the Korg electribe units, more into older rockabilly, blues, jazz sounds. But a little space music can be good too. :D

• Members
Originally posted by bluefalcon

Good thread. What's the most natural-sounding, reasonably priced, hardware-based drum machine?

The Roland R-8 is pretty cheap these days. There are a number of features that help make it sound more natural, including "feel" patches that vary certain parameters randomly. My favorite is the multiple assignable outputs, so you can mix the individual tracks just as you would a kit.

But at the end of the day, it's still a drum machine. :mad:

• Members

i used to program machines so I tried quite a few. You know what, i really love the zoom one, the first one (a 234 i think). go to my myspace page and listen to stargazing. thats the zoom all over it. I really love it for natural LIKE drum sounds....

its a great piece, i like it more than the rolands deals...

• Members

I've got an 'ancient' Roland R8 with some cards. By many regarded as maybe the best drum machine made (?). The Mark II has most of the sound of the cards in the box.
Quite easy to use but have depth for editing lots of stuff, if you want. It's vintage 16 bit, but sounds good and meaty.
Can be find cheap on ebay both the table top models with pads and the rack version. Was originally costly stuff.

r8ii.jpeg

Prices on ebay vary quite a bit, from $150 and upwards;
Completed;
http://search-completed.ebay.com/Roland-r-8_Musical-Instruments_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfisZ2QQfromZR10QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ619QQsatitleZRolandQ20rQ2d8QQsojsZ0
Recent;
http://search.ebay.com/Roland-r-8_Musical-Instruments_W0QQfromZC3QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQhtZ1QQsacatZ619QQsatitleZRolandQ20rQ2d8

Among software there have been to hits lately;
The Toontrack Superior and the FXpansion BFD.
There's a forum on the Toontrack site. Some people combine the software with pad controllers like the stuff from Kat. I've got a Kat DK10 which is easy to use with the R8.
http://www.alternatemode.com/
I've got a Superior that I haven't installed yet.

The BFD from FXpansion;
http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

Both the Toontrack and the BFD are sampled at 24 bit using high end mike, micpres and rooms.

• Members

I went through several drum machines and I found the best one to be a used sequencing keyboard. For less than the price of a drum machine, I picked up a Roland XP-50 keyboard. It supports loops. It is the predecessor to the Fantom series. Programming it is pain compared to some drum machines, but it takes JV series cards and the expressivness of the keys is better...plus it's a nice keyboard and can do bass and of course keys too.

• Members
Originally posted by threm

I've got an 'ancient' Roland R8 with some cards. By many regarded as maybe the best drum machine made (?). The Mark II has most of the sound of the cards in the box.

Quite easy to use but have depth for editing lots of stuff, if you want. It's vintage 16 bit, but sounds good and meaty.

Can be find cheap on ebay both the table top models with pads and the rack version. Was originally costly stuff.

r8ii.jpeg

i used to use one too, they DO have a good feel to them and the sounds are good. I always like flamming with that one.

• Members
Originally posted by BmoreTele

I saw a video demo of the Rpland DR880 and it looked quite cool, if a bit pricey.

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

Check out the Boss Dr. 770.
I've had mine foe 3 years and still I find no need to upgrade to the 880.
The 880 really is the same as it's older brother only the 880 has all the guitar sim/input crap as well as a few extra bass lines as well.
The key is, do ya really need all the guitar stuff or do ya just want a good solid Drum machine.
I personnaly have a home studio so jamming along with the drum machine is very simple for me. I listen to the Dr. 770 through my moniters.
If I did'nt have the home set-up and wanted to play along with drum machine in isolation, the 880 mite be an option.
Main thing to remember for yourself is that the sound qaulity of the two are about the same.
Happy hunting..
;) ;) ;)
;) ;)
:cool:

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Terrorizer

The 880 really is the same as it's older brother only the 880 has all the guitar sim/input crap as well as a few extra bass lines as well.

The key is, do ya really need all the guitar stuff or do ya just want a good solid Drum machine.

I personnaly have a home studio so jamming along with the drum machine is very simple for me. I listen to the Dr. 770 through my moniters.

If I did'nt have the home set-up and wanted to play along with drum machine in isolation, the 880 mite be an option.

Main thing to remember for yourself is that the sound qaulity of the two are about the same.

Happy hunting..

;)
;)
;)
;)
;)

Oh yeah, the 770 does not delete everything after the 500'th save option.....

• Members

I have a Roland R8 mk II too. It's great! Especially once you add the 'Dry' card. (has 8 mono outputs, phone out (stereo) and stereo L & R outs)

Best runner-up is the Zoom RT-323, very realistic feel and sounds. Has 4 outputs! $295 new. Can store data on Smart Media card.

• Members
Originally posted by Terrorizer

Happy hunting..

;)
;)
;)
;)
;)

there's no carl martin drum machine?
:( :(
:(

Archived