X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOSS GT-8 (or 6 or 5 or 3) USERS thread

There are a bunch of GT-8 threads out there now and the ToneLab and POD guys are probably sick of 'em, so I thought I'd try to start one of those long term threads like the Agile thread in the guitar section or the Tonelab one here.

POST UR GT questions comments here.

i still have questions about my GP-8

like how can a 14 year old battery still work?

<div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>[Originally posted by JJ </i><br />
    <b>This is a clear cut case of Gronk abuse. Whatever that means. </b>

</div>
    </div>
    </div> </div>

Comment

I'm in... I love my GT-8!
      ~A~
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Blessings<br />
      ~A~<br />
      <font size="1"><b> <a href="http://forum.thestompbox.net/" target="_blank">TheStompBox.Net Website!</a></b></font></div>

Comment

though I may upgrade to the gt-8 one day, I am quite happy with my gt-6

Comment

Just ordered mine from samash.com today. They had like 21 in stock. I had them price match to $399 from their $445 price point. Hopefully in a week, I will ejoying my new toy!
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Ibanez JS1000BP<br />
          Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo<br />
          Behringer BG412F Cabinet<br />
          Boss DD-6, Boss CE-5, Boss GE-7<br />
          Boss NS-2, Ibanez TS-9, Crybaby Wah<br />
          POD 2.0, POD XT, Boss GT-8</div>

Comment

Have any of you Boss GT guys ever tried running the Boss through a flat response SS power amp into a guitar cab?

Just curious...I think it would be cool to ditch my pedals and amp and just be able to run something like this. It would be a nice clean setup with an endless array of tones.
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="red"><font size="1">XT Brotherhood</font></font><br />
            <br />
            <font size="1"><a href="http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZstratocrusher" target="_blank">My eBay auctions</a></font></div>

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt
              Have any of you Boss GT guys ever tried running the Boss through a flat response SS power amp into a guitar cab?

Just curious...I think it would be cool to ditch my pedals and amp and just be able to run something like this. It would be a nice clean setup with an endless array of tones.

I've run straight into mixers, recorders, keyboard amps and other 'flat response' devices with my GT-6 for years and the GT-8 is working just as well. Not sure about using a guitar cab though with all that. I've always ran with full range speakers.

Comment

sold mine, but gotta say the synth guitar effect on it was awesome. It was indeed a fun unit.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
                <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5jZrtK3TxM" target="_blank">John Michaels in the lost forest of New York</a></font></div>

Comment

My GT-3 is still on my pedalboard. I use it pretty much just for stereo delay and reverb these days. But the ability to program it so that I can expand the delay and reverb perameters with the expression pedal still blows me (and crowd at my shows) away.

I'm surprised someone dosen't make a delay with an expression pedal that can do what this thing does.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/399453211" target="_blank"> http://www.myspace.com/399453211</a><br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=276061" target="_blank">http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=276061</a><br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nails" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nails</a></div>

Comment

Just checking in to keep the thread afloat and say I'm enjoying the GT-8.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! <br />
                    <br />
                    Creativity is a Work Ethic</div>

Comment

I got a question for you gt-8 owners, they say you can place any effect anywhere in the chain. Ok, does it also allow you to have certain effects in parallel with each other? Like for example, a chorus and a reverb in para instead of series all the time? I was just wondering if they took it this far.

Thanks,

Comment

Not that I know of at this time. I think alot of us are still learning though. My old Johnson Millenium would allow parallel effect chains. You could pick from multiple effect chains patterns and some of them were parallel effects chains. But the Boss allows only two amplifiers to be run in parallel and then the external effect loop can run in parallel with the signal going into the loop. You can also manipulate the regular Delay to treat L/R differently. It also allows one of the preamps to be delayed from the other.

Now the honest truth is even though the Millenium amp would allow parallel effects chains, and it was pretty easy to use, I never used it as it pretty much becomes garbled sounding really quickly. I've heard a rule of thumb is that more than 4 effects at a time is probably overkill, and I think two at time hits limits too. I think the most effective combinations are to run clean over distorted tones, and the GT-8 does that.

I do hope to play with stereo effects on the GT-8 soon but haven't had a chance yet...my job, the one that lets me afford to get a GT-8, keeps getting in the way.

Comment

When I had the g-major, it would allow you to have a chorus or delay in parallel with the reverb only at the end of the effect chain. I thought it sounded better this way instead of series all the way thru.

I'm planning on checking out the gt pro as soon as it starts shipping. I'll probably be using it mostly for effects so that's why my concern.

Thanks for your reply,

Comment

Well the short answer is NO.

The longer answer is that there is SOME paralell processing available in the GT-8.
                            For example you can run the delay in "Dual Delay" mode and run those two delays either in series or paralell

You can also run two preamp models in paralell.

And the External Effects loop can be set to run in paralell with the unit and the effects chain.

So- there is is SOME, but it is not a fully featured paralell processor.

B
                            <div class="signaturecontainer">Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! <br />
                            <br />
                            Creativity is a Work Ethic</div>

Comment

Well, I'm not discouraged yet, still going to check it out. The book said the reason the g-major had this capability was so that you could use a delay and a reverb together without getting some kind of weird warbling effect. When you put those two in parallel with each other, it stops that.

Maybe boss already figured this out ahead of time or maybe they had to leave some room for software upgrades

Whatever the case, it looks like it might suprize those expecting it to be just another gimmick peice. I know I've seen people bitchin' that nobody makes an fx processor that has a straight usb to usb computer interface let alone lets you record thru it. Here is a device that's giving people more of what they asked for and nobody seems too interested. Maybe it's not taken seriously because it has the modeling preamp in it? The cool thing is you don't have to use the modeling all the time or at all.

Can ya tell I'm gasing over this thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X