Cable shootout: George L's vs. Planet Waves

ryanspeer

• Members

I have a massive excess of .155 George L's cable and need an extra guitar cable with a right-angle end. I'm really not dead-set on one cable one way or the other, but am wondering what everybody's recommendations are.

I'd be using it with my Taylor plugged directly into my pedalboard. My only "hesitation" (if you can call it that) with the GL's is that because they're so thin (at least in comparison to thicker PW cables), it might tend to kink easily or something...

Preferences between the two? Again, I'm asking regarding the application between the guitar and the first pedal on my board - not the pedalboard itself.

Heck, while I'm on the topic, can you guys tell the difference (tonally speaking) between a 10' and a 15' cable? I have a hard time thinking that it'd make a huge difference (probably noticeable only to me at best), but I'm just curious.

Thanks ya'all.

• Members

10' to 15' won't make a heck of a difference. Negligible at most, I'd say. Where you'll save a bit is by using geogre Ls on the board and reducing excess cabling between pedals.

If that volume pedal ain't in on eof your loops you might find a change in tone.

I'd also recommend using the heavier cable from your guitar to board. get the thicker Geogre L maybe. but the planet waves will be very good.

Personally I run george Ls on the board and then waves to and from, mostly.

-dan

• Members

Hey Brad, those look great, actually. Never seen/heard of them before. The description on your site for the 12' ones say "G&H right-angle gold contact plugs...", but the photo shows two straight-ended cables. The 20-footer is definitely way longer than I'd ever need, but that 12-footer looks awesome.

- Ryan

• Members

Originally posted by ryanspeer

Hey Brad, those look great, actually. Never seen/heard of them before. The description on your site for the 12' ones say "G&H right-angle gold contact plugs...", but the photo shows two straight-ended cables. The 20-footer is definitely way longer than I'd ever need, but that 12-footer looks awesome.

- Ryan

Thanks for the heads up. I need to fix that. :)

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by UnkleSlam

Ryan,

Do yourself a favor and check out Lava Cable. It's top notch stuff, made from Canare cable and Neutrik ends. It's priced right too.

They definitely appear to be a good bargain compared to other cables with similar components

Archived