OT:Blade Runner

• Members

That movie is all about the atmosphere. I enjoy it very much, but I enjoy any movie that has an interesting and well realized depiction on our future.

Whether or not Deckerd is a replicant is something that I think was left open, at least in the Director's Cut. Something about those little oragami figures that dude leaves everywhere has something to do with it?? Been a while though so I'm not sure.

Isn't this another movie thats supposed to synch up with a Pink Floyd album? Meddle perhaps?

• Members

I didn't really like that film. You're right, the regular version doesn't make too much sense. I tried watching the director's cut, but it was just too damn long. One problem might've been that I watched it on tv with commercials, which made it even longer.

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

I could bhe wrong, but in doing some searching around today, apparently Ridley Scott revealed after a lot of speculation that Deckard was. Who knew? I'm so behind the times.

it's one of those "bladie" (analog of a trekkie) discussions that goes back and forth (much like the "soul in the suitcase" for Pulp Fiction fans)

you'll see the "unicorn's dream" argument, then a criticism of that and about a bajillion other points of discussion.

...in the end, I find it to be a bit of an over-analysis myself as that isn't really the point beehind the film and is maybe a bit too concrete given the nature of the movie

As with a lot of poetic piecees, ambiguity let's you throw the option, even back off that option...and the ambiguity itself can be a point (part of the film lives on in this anaalysis)

but most importantly, I think it's a struggle to put a concrete closure to something that we can find uncomfortable...the nature of our humanity, the nature of our mortality, the future uncertain

Well said.

The uncomfortable nature of our humanity....

• Members

I loved the movie. The soundtrack (by Vangelis) is one of my favorite pieces of recorded music of all time. In the original book the story takes place in Seattle rather than L.A. - thus all the rain and gloom.

• Members

OH yeah I forgot about the narration by Harrison Ford in the original, definately added a totally different feel to the movie, and I think it makes the original more watchable. Too bad there isn't a DC with the narration added in.

• Members

Liked 'em both.
Very cool how the old building still stand with the modern stuff added on... realistic.

Loved the whole cultural mix of the people left on earth.

Really liked the Replicants searching so desparetly for something man too looks for throughout his entire life.

Loved the dialog and final scenes on the roof.

• Members

Blade Runner is my all time favourite film (Director's Cut).

The theatrical cut is a bit cheesey, especially with the happy ending where Deckard and Rachel escape, and there are clouds and stuff.

The Director's Cut is awesome however and I've not seen a convincing argument that Deckard ISN'T a replicant. The most convincing argument is that his eyes don't have that glow, but the unicorn thing is pretty obvious.

Awesome soundtrack and awesome acting by both Harrisson Ford and Rutger Hauer, who practically steals the entire film with his final monologue.

All this will be lost like tears in rain. Time to die.

Archived