Best Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal?

rcervera

• Members

Originally posted by mukuzi

having had the ts9 ts5 ts10 and st9

the st9 is by far the fattest hardest and most hard to come by

dont know anywhere one can be had

is a st9 called a super tube screamer? Is it the one you r selling?

• Members

Originally posted by rcervera

is a st9 called a super tube screamer? Is it the one you r selling?

yea bro

i allways sell my tubescreamers

my ts9 went for $30 aud in 1985

traded my ts10 for a VB2:cool:

still have the ts5...

and the st9 is up for offer

• Members

i always loved my original ts808 i had for years. the only thing i didnt like was youd loose bass/low end when it was engaged.

so i always tried to replace it but could not find something to satisfy me. then i got the red jekyll&hyde. its OD side (jekyll side) sounds just like the ts808 (believe me, i A/B'd alot of pedals trying to replace it) - but the only differnce is the red J&H does not have any low-end loss when engaged! so i finally replaced the ol 808 last year, and sold it to a close friend who has been trying to get it for years.

the only thing is - its got that mid-hump like most TS/clones. so it works really great through certain setups and not so good through others. if your tube amp is already mid-rangy by character then IMO theres no need for a TS/clone - but if its not then a TS is a great boost/OD for that amp. i dont miss the original 808 1 bit after getting the red J&H, because its got alot more volume for pushing tubes and also the 2nd side (hyde) for another thickass boost. you can set them both with low/semi-low drive, but high volume/level and it will not have alot of that mid-hump like when using just jekyll side, and give a seriously thickass boost

• Members

Originally posted by mukuzi

yea bro

i allways sell my tubescreamers

my ts9 went for $30 aud in 1985

traded my ts10 for a VB2:cool:

still have the ts5...

and the st9 is up for offer

What are you looking for in exchange for the ST9? I'm very interested in getting one of these :)

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

i always loved my original ts808 i had for years. the only thing i didnt like was youd loose bass/low end when it was engaged.

so i always tried to replace it but could not find something to satisfy me. then i got the red jekyll&hyde. its OD side (jekyll side) sounds just like the ts808 (believe me, i A/B'd alot of pedals trying to replace it) - but the only differnce is the red J&H does not have any low-end loss when engaged! so i finally replaced the ol 808 last year, and sold it to a close friend who has been trying to get it for years.

the only thing is - its got that mid-hump like most TS/clones. so it works really great through certain setups and not so good through others. if your tube amp is already mid-rangy by character then IMO theres no need for a TS/clone - but if its not then a TS is a great boost/OD for that amp. i dont miss the original 808 1 bit after getting the red J&H, because its got alot more volume for pushing tubes and also the 2nd side (hyde) for another thickass boost. you can set them both with low/semi-low drive, but high volume/level and it will not have alot of that mid-hump like when using just jekyll side, and give a seriously thickass boost

That's a big reason I bought one of these:

TubeZone.jpg

The 3-way toggle selects from flat-mid, scooped-mid and mid-hump.

• Members

Originally posted by ottobahn

That's a big reason I bought one of these:

TubeZone.jpg

The 3-way toggle selects from flat-mid, scooped-mid and mid-hump.

looks pretty cool

i think all of the TS clones need to come with a feature like that! some amps it works great (the midhump) and some not so great. thats another reason i love the red (newer version) jekyll & hyde. on top of all the great features (buffer circuit, bass boost, sharp/blunt switch, etc.) you can just engage the 2nd side and not have that extra midhump. i usually put both drives lowish, and the levels high and boost a tube amp with a thick tone that covers all the frequencies (mid, low, high) and does not overbear you with any one

but yeah, thats a great feature. i bet it comes in handy ;)

• Members

I haven't used a vintage one, but the best Ibanez Tubescreamer, (modded or not) is the reissue, TS-808. I think that one is great. The SuperTube model has an extra knob and is also very good.

Fulldrive II is a great variation and I am sure there are several other good clones.

But the TS-808 reissue is the best to my ears.

Jack

• Members

the only thing is - its got that mid-hump like most TS/clones. so it works really great through certain setups and not so good through others. if your tube amp is already mid-rangy by character then IMO theres no need for a TS/clone - but if its not then a TS is a great boost/OD for that amp.

So if im using a mid-rangy amp (a Mesa DC-5) what would you advice?

• Members

Originally posted by rcervera

So if im using a mid-rangy amp (a Mesa DC-5) what would you advice?

honestly?

i really like what the bad monkey can do with a midrangey amp.

a good friend ive known for years opened a music store a few years ago, and its a good little drive from here but i go when i can because i can play with what i want, or dig through spare parts in the back when im modding a guitar/amp here at home.

anyway, i was curious about the bad monkey after all the good words about it here on the forums. and it can get you a nice, smooth overdriven tone and works pretty well as a boost also. the cool thing is, its not centered around that midrange hump like TS/clones are.

i would get one in a heartbeat if i used an overdrive on the clean channel - but i use them to boost my tube amp (drive knob lowish and level/volume high) into heavier OD/crunch.

my amps are not really midheavy, and the 1 that is midheavy that i play the most i use my red jekyll&hyde ultimate overdrive (best tube boost/OD EVER IMO:D ). the jekyll side is pretty mid-heavy on the red J&H because it sounds like the original TS808 - but i set the hyde side with the tone to offset that mid-hump of the jekyll side. i just keep both drives low and the volume high (that pedal has insane volume for boosting tubes) and with the tone controls on each side i can offset the midhump. that pedal has 2 overdrives, a light TS style OD (jekyll) and a heavier hot-rodded marshall type OD/distortion. but i keep both drives low and crank my amp, then use the OD to boost it.

but i would not suggest that for a midheavy amp really.

i guess the bad monkey would be my first choice based on what ive played so far (for a mid-heavy amp). i know its one of the lesser expensive pedals out there, but its really a smooth OD that is set pretty good in the EQ dept., with no excessive midrange.

• Members

looks pretty cool

i think all of the TS clones need to come with a feature like that! some amps it works great (the midhump) and some not so great. thats another reason i love the red (newer version) jekyll & hyde. on top of all the great features (buffer circuit, bass boost, sharp/blunt switch, etc.) you can just engage the 2nd side and not have that extra midhump. i usually put both drives lowish, and the levels high and boost a tube amp with a thick tone that covers all the frequencies (mid, low, high) and does not overbear you with any one

but yeah, thats a great feature. i bet it comes in handy
;)

It's not really a TS9 clone. It is capable of a lot more gain and does not suck bottom end.

I use it all the time at low gain to warm up my sound and so I can keep my Fender Twin Reverb dialed in at "Magical 6".

V6 T6 M3 B2 (Bright 'on')

• Members

I have a TS10, TS9DX Turbo, and a TS808 reissue, and a SM9 Super Metal (those are just my Ibanez pedals)

My 10 is sketchy and old so it doesn't go out much.

I run my Turbo into my 808 reissue and I love it. I keep the turbo on the + mode.

So right now I am going Strat> Turbo>808>SM9>Super Chorus>The Tremolo>DL4>Alesis Microverb>Boogie.

I don't have any modded pedals YET. As far as stock Ibanez pedals go the one that has been my fav is the Turbo Tubescreamer.

• Members

Originally posted by ottobahn

It's not really a TS9 clone. It is capable of a lot more gain and does not suck bottom end.

I use it all the time at low gain to warm up my sound and so I can keep my Fender Twin Reverb dialed in at "Magical 6".

V6 T6 M3 B2 (Bright 'on')

cool, i bet it sounds sweet.

that was my only real complaint (other than too much mids with some amps) about the TS series pedals is the way you loose that bottom end. it took me a long time to find something to replace that original808, even though it had extra mids and sucked the bottom out i couldnt find one that was that smooth. then i found it in the red J&H, its got a bass-boost switch but with any decent amp ive ever played it with you dont need it because its got plenty. then again, i dont really need alot of gain from the pedal - just smooth OD and alot of volume because i crank my tube amps enough to get hot and find that sweet spot, then use my OD as a 2 stage boost to go crunch>heavy crunch and its mostly volume but with a little drive from the pedals.

• Members

I'm very partial to the SD-9. It's not a TS derivative as such, but at low gain settings can get some very TS like sounds. The ST-9 is also very good, but not easy to come by - the only rarer 9 series pedal is the OD-9. However, this week I am mostly using:-

ab+ts5.jpg

Cruachan modded TS-5 set to LED mode.

• Members

Originally posted by Cruachan

I'm very partial to the SD-9. It's not a TS derivative as such, but at low gain settings can get some very TS like sounds. The ST-9 is also very good, but not easy to come by - the only rarer 9 series pedal is the OD-9. However, this week I am mostly using:-

ab+ts5.jpg

Cruachan modded TS-5 set to LED mode.

has it been rehoused?

Archived