This week's "Four questions crammed into one thread, 50% OT" thread

• Members

1. I'm having level issues again when at band volume. I like to use three different pedals for the basic tone: a Zvex SHO for rich-sounding cleans, a Barber LTD for lightly overdriven crunch, and a fuzz (currently a Euthymia Crucible Fuzz) for saturated fuzz/distortion. They all seem to be set at the same volume; that is, they each boost the amp's volume the same amount when turned on. But fuzz, no matter what specific pedal, always gets lost in the band mix. Do I need to just turn the amp up further and set all of the pedals to less of a volume boost, or what?

(Side note: Gretsch Astro-Jet through a SHO into a cranked Fender Tremolux is a beautiful sound. I couldn't be more pleased.)

2. There's a freelance computer consultant who spends a lot of time working with the woman in the office nearest my desk. He talks a lot, and his voice makes my skin crawl: he overenunciates every syllable, loudly and dramatically; and every instance of the letter S comes out as a shrill hiss. I have to slap on the headphones every time he's here. Would asking my coworker to close her office door every time this guy comes in be unreasonable of me?

3. I'm in the process of rehabilitating a green Russian Big Muff, and have run into the dumbest problem: One of the plastic nuts, for the input jack, is missing. Not a single nut in my drawer full of a million metal and plastic nuts fits this (PCB-mounted black plastic) jack. Is it because it is from Europe and probably metric? Is there any way to find a replacement, or should I just desolder the whole jack and run wires to an ordinary metal one?

4. I'm in the midst of a few days with my wife and baby daughter out of town visiting her family. I had planned a multi-day Thai food and booze feast; however, I have discovered that spicy Thai food and whiskey don't do well together once they are in the same stomach. Which do I give up: the red-curry chicken and tofu, or the George Dickel?

Attached is a random photo of Bert and Ernie, taken after Ernie ran out of clay making a sculpture of Bert.

• Members

1. Fuzzfaces get lost in the mix cause they suck mids and boost the bass. Try a differenty type of fuzz -- many feel MJM Foxey fuzz and Fulltone Soulbender cut better in a band situations

2. First let them know it's dificult for you to work with the noise and ask them to keep the noise level down. If that doesn't work then ask them to close the door

3. :confused:

4. Vodka, wine or beer go lovely with Thai

• Members

Originally posted by confused

1. Fuzzfaces get lost in the mix cause they suck mids and boost the bass. Try a differenty type of fuzz -- many feel MJM Foxey fuzz and Fulltone Soulbender cut better in a band situations

This makes perfect sense. I just really love the sound of the Crucible. I'm going to keep working with volume, but may end up using something more midrange-friendly with this band.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaugh!!! The guy with the annoying voice that I just complained about has just arrived for the day!!! icon8.gif

• Members

1. As Confucius just said, a lot of fuzzes suck the mids out and this makes the sound get lost in the mix. As much as I love fuzz, that's always been one thing I DON'T love about it. That's why I think it always sounded best in the way old-school bands (Beatles, Cream, etc.) were mixed, where everything was more open. Once you get that green Muff rehabbed, why not give IT a try? Mine's always been stellar. (The thing is, and I've seen other guys mention it here too, sometimes the QC on those is a little lacking. I'm sure yours is fine, though. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer).

2. It's funny that you mention that, as I was most likely going to bitch about the same kind of thing today. A while back, that guy in the office next to mine who had Tourette's (I think that's what it was, with his chirps and hoots and yelps and moans) got canned. He was a wonderful guy, so I felt bad. But the silence has been bless'd. Anyway, his office hasn't been filled, as we're moving the department to another part of the building (in the next week). But yesterday, they stuck some freelance lady in there on his computer and all she did was talk about the Michael Jackson trial on her phone. LOUDLY! I've never had the guts to ask anyone to close their door, though. So, I can't be of much help.

3. You mean the outside black plastic part of the jack? Because if so, mine's been missing that part since I bought it used in '96 or so. It's ugly as sin, but it's never sounded bad. I've always wondered about replacing it though. Of course I'm too lazy.

4. What you need to do is replace the Thai with some good ol' red meat and potatoes and {censored}. And keep the whiskey. Then you'll be fine.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

But yesterday, they stuck some freelance lady in there on his computer and all she did was talk about the Michael Jackson trial on her phone. LOUDLY!

She must have a lot of confidence in her employment to do that. As someone who has formerly attempted to make a living freelancing, I can't imagine someone in that position slacking off in the workplace. But I guess Michael Jackson's trial is truly an event worthy of everyone's attention.

3. You mean the outside black plastic part of the jack? Because if so, mine's been missing that part since I bought it used in '96 or so.

Yes, that's it. I suppose it's not hurting anything to not have the nut. I just can't ever leave well enough alone.

4. What you need to do is replace the Thai with some good ol' red meat and potatoes and {censored}. And keep the whiskey. Then you'll be fine.

Ever since the 2000 Hamburger Incident (blood! gristle! unidentifiable hard parts! Thankfully, that place went out of business!), I haven't had red meat. No mammals of any sort. Just the occasional bird or fish. Being married to a vegetarian makes that easy. But I can't give up the curry chicken.

• Members

1. Put the crucible in a TB loop with a boost pedal after it. That way you can dial in a volume level specific to that pedal without changing the fuzz you like.

2. No, it would not be unreasonable. You may find that your co-worker finds the voice annoying as well, and she'll be sympathetic. Stand up for your damn self.

3. Stoopid pedals built out of leftover Russian tank parts. Perhaps you can grab another broken Muff on Ebay or something and cannabalize the parts you require. (did you notice the sentence fragment I threw in just for you?)

4. I find a nice, crisp lager goes extremely well Thai food. I say lose the Dickel, switch to beer.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by sstim8or

1. Put the crucible in a TB loop with a boost pedal after it. That way you can dial in a volume level specific to that pedal without changing the fuzz you like.

I hadn't thought of that. Good idea!

3. Stoopid pedals built out of leftover Russian tank parts. Perhaps you can grab another broken Muff on Ebay or something and cannabalize the parts you require. (
did you notice the sentence fragment I threw in just for you?
)

I would normally get on a person for that, but my textbook editing is, as mentioned before, being done with that annoying voice in the next room, so I am now wearing headphones and listening to loud music, which affects my attention to such matters.

4. I find a nice, crisp lager goes extremely well Thai food. I say lose the Dickel, switch to beer.

There are summery beers in the store now that might fit the bill. Wheat beer. Mmmmmm. Now I wish I weren't at work.

• Members

1. This is getting covered well by the other posts, but yeah, fuzzes get lost a lot, etc. The SHO compensates for the lost high end from the fuzz, though, and of course it boosts the signal. If you're worried about cranking the hell out of the Crucible (which is what I always did when I played with fuzz), then just leave the SHO on when you use fuzz. Right?

2.Weigh the consequences -- if talking to co-worker will open the door for her to provide a litany of gripes about your constant knuckle-cracking, nose-picking and Neil-Diamond-listening, then consider it all training for your patience. If you're a dream colleague, though, go for it.

3. If you need to solder stuff to fix this pedal anyway, it seems to me that new, better jacks are worth a couple bucks and 45 more seconds, right?

4. Yeah, white liquors and beers with the spicy stuff. Save the whiskey for meatloaf night. It makes the whiskey more special.

That particular B&E photo is from the one sketch that seems to have made it into my long-term memory after many years of Sesame Street. A real favorite. Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

2.Weigh the consequences -- if talking to co-worker will open the door for her to provide a litany of gripes about your constant knuckle-cracking, nose-picking and Neil-Diamond-listening, then consider it all training for your patience. If you're a dream colleague, though, go for it.

Generally, most people don't even notice I'm here, as I sit editing text by myself most of the time. I'm here a lot, but not everyone is aware of it. Kind of like this forum.

That particular B&E photo is from the one sketch that seems to have made it into my long-term memory after many years of Sesame Street. A real favorite. Thanks.

Having a baby has meant that I get to watch Sesame Street again. And this season has included some replays of some of the old skits from many seasons ago, which is nice. I hadn't seen Guy Smiley or the guy in the construction helmet in a long time.

• Members

Originally posted by paulandpaul

4. dude, your wife is out of town? Skip the asian fod and go get yourself and Asian massage:) Get the happy ending or if you're really feeling frisky go all the way with the "Lay-Down-dancing."

Can they do that with red curry sauce? Or would that burn?

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Having a baby has meant that I get to watch Sesame Street again. And this season has included some replays of some of the old skits from many seasons ago, which is nice. I hadn't seen Guy Smiley or the guy in the construction helmet in a long time.

Yeah. The few times that I get to watch that with Maddie, it gives me the warm and tinglies. Not quite as much as Mr. Rogers, though. If there ever was a person that I'd happily call a hero, it'd be him, and I'm not kidding. He actually spoke at commencement at Marquette a couple of years after I graduated. I got to see it, too, because I was still in town and one of my closest friends was graduating and was the student keynote speaker. Mr. Rogers blew my mind. He still does.

That being said, there are an awful lot of kids' programming that is only there to sell merchandise (my current career is as guilty of this as anyone). And some of the characters are just AWFUL. Elie HATES Caillou (I actually love that show) and I HATE Blue's Clues, with Dora a close second.

Elie and I were plotting yesterday of making a website for parents which contains videos of stuffed animals or action figures of various cartoons being horrifically destroyed by shotgun blasts, rectally inserted M80s, acid, fire, lawnmowers, etc. This was after we had been driving and Maddie threw her Boots (the monkey from Dora) toy out the car window and we had to backtrack to find it (Elie didn't want to, but I'm a softie...But we agreed if it happens again, whatever toy gets tossed is lost). We just figured that such a site would be therapy for tired parents.

• Members

Mr. Rogers is the only other show we turn on when Rose is in the room, though she's still too young to get much of it. He's such a calming presence in this age of ADD-inducing programming.

I'm determined to keep her away from as much commercial/marketing crap as I can. I got annoyed with an electronic Pooh-based toy someone gave her, which fortunately didn't appeal to her. (EBay, here it comes!) I already get pissed off that there's now a McDonald's commercial at the start of Sesame Street (during this, their "health" season! It's Orwellian!).

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

it seems that all the questions have been answered, more or less satisfactorily, but i did want to chime in and say i've come to really look forward to these threads.

thankyoudrivethrough.

It will be late next week. I'll be sitting through some visits with relatives.

In lieu of answering any questions, feel free to insert obscure references to old punk bands. I still think we have the same record collection.

• Members

Or an EQ to bring back the mids, if that suits your taste.

2. No, it would not be unreasonable. You may find that your co-worker finds the voice annoying as well, and she'll be sympathetic. Stand up for your damn self.

There's nothing worse than being forced to work with obnoxious people. I'm as big a jerk as you can imagine at work, but I'm not obnoxious. Just walk in and shut the door. No need for useless words. The one guy who beats me into the office each morning absolutely SCREAMS into the phone. I just can't take that, much less at 6:30am. There's no door or top to his cube, so RATM + noise cancelling headphones is the only solution.

3. Stoopid pedals built out of leftover Russian tank parts. Perhaps you can grab another broken Muff on Ebay or something and cannabalize the parts you require. (
did you notice the sentence fragment I threw in just for you?
)

Or get yourself a used Russian tank off ebay, find the nut you need, and part out the rest.

• Members

It will be late next week. I'll be sitting through some visits with relatives.

In lieu of answering any questions, feel free to insert obscure references to old punk bands. I still think we have the same record collection.

the Zero Boys were {censored}ing great, huh? aren't they from somewhere around your nape of the neck?

• Members

the Zero Boys were {censored}ing great, huh? aren't they from somewhere around your nape of the neck?

All I know about them is the song "Vicious Circle," which I played on my college-radio show a few times. That falls into the "I lost that (badly dubbed) tape at least ten years ago" category, unfortunately.

• Members

All I know about them is the song "Vicious Circle," which I played on my college-radio show a few times. That falls into the "I lost that (badly dubbed) tape at least ten years ago" category, unfortunately.

ahh, that's a shame. they were fantastic. early '80s hardcore punk, from the Midwest, from guys who could, like, actually play really well. phenomenal cover of "Toys in the Attic," among other hits and misses.

i announce gleefully that Lookout has reissued the classic Vicious Circle LP!

http://www.lookoutrecords.com/catalog/item.php3?sd=177559093&matrix_id=863&bnd_id=310

• Members

i announce gleefully that Lookout has reissued the classic Vicious Circle LP!

I'll add that to my list!

And their site shows a solo album by Ben Weasel. What's that all about? I didn't think that singers in punk bands were allowed to make solo albums that aren't "spoken word." Wait, maybe Joey Ramone did. I don't remember. Hmmm.

• Members

I'll add that to my list!

And their site shows a solo album by Ben Weasel. What's that all about? I didn't think that singers in punk bands were allowed to make solo albums that aren't "spoken word." Wait, maybe Joey Ramone did. I don't remember. Hmmm.

actually, almost every Screeching Weasel record was essentially a Ben Weasel solo record. at least since he moved West, it's just been him and whatever kids he got to back him up.

i'm gonna say, having no specific knowledge of that record, that you should pass. :)

• Members

actually, almost every Screeching Weasel record was essentially a Ben Weasel solo record. at least since he moved West, it's just been him and whatever kids he got to back him up.

i'm gonna say, having no specific knowledge of that record, that you should pass.
:)

Being a pseudo-writer myself, and having enjoyed some of his MRR columns long ago, I got a copy of his novel. It didn't do much for me; it goes back and forth between scenes that are kind of dull and predictable within the "I am in a punk band" context, and scenes that just aren't believable (like one in which a Nazi skinhead performs fellatio, which seems incredibly contrived and over-the-top symbolic at the same time). I give him credit for finishing a book, though, which I seem to be unable to do.

Archived