Saw Ian MacKaye last night (The Evens)

Thelonius

• Members

He and drummer/singer Amy Farina.

It was a VERY different show for someone who grew up to the fist pounding shouts of "BETRAY!!! BETRAY!!!!" :D Very mellow vibe on this one. Brush drums and baritone guitar.

Real good songs though. Fantastic entertainer, and it was nice just being able to watch a legend like that in such an intimate setting where he can easily see and talk to people in the very back. Nice guy as well. I was pretty scared of him. I though the would be very destructive and mean or something but he was very cool.

I go get to see and meet the one artist that doesn't care if you take pictures all night, and I get there and my camera's broken. :rolleyes:

• Members

That sounds like fun. Ian is a nice guy. Every time I've seen Fugazi, he's always been one to sit around after the show and talk to people.

If it was mellow, does that mean he didn't do his usual stop-the-show-for-a-lecture-about-not-slam-dancing-too-violently thing? That wouldn't seem right.

(Now I have Minor Threat in my head, which I, too, played incessantly in high school.)

• Members
Originally posted by palthegiraffe

That sounds like fun. Ian is a nice guy. Every time I've seen Fugazi, he's always been one to sit around after the show and talk to people.

If it was mellow, does that mean he didn't do his usual stop-the-show-for-a-lecture-about-not-slam-dancing-too-violently thing? That wouldn't seem right.

(Now I have Minor Threat in my head, which I, too, played incessantly in high school.)

He lectured us about everything else to make up for it. :D

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

He lectured us about everything else to make up for it.
:D

Awesome.

I listened recently to a recording of an old Maximumrockandroll radio show from about '82 or '83, which featured an interview with Minor Threat. They talked about how, being straightedge, other bands liked to mess with them. They would stay with the Dead Kennedys when they were in California, and Jello would leave beer bottles and fake joints of rolled-up paper all over the room they were going to sleep in.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

He and drummer/singer Amy Farina.

It was a VERY different show for someone who grew up to the fist pounding shouts of "BETRAY!!! BETRAY!!!!"
:D
Very mellow vibe on this one. Brush drums and baritone guitar.

Real good songs though. Fantastic entertainer, and it was nice just being able to watch a legend like that in such an intimate setting where he can easily see and talk to people in the very back. Nice guy as well. I was pretty scared of him. I though the would be very destructive and mean or something but he was very cool.

I go get to see and meet the one artist that doesn't care if you take pictures all night, and I get there and my camera's broken.
:rolleyes:

Cool! I went to a Q&A qith MacKaye. He asked me to shut off my camera. I felt like a retart cause I had been to so many Fugzai things that recording was cool. Not this time. I am glad he is making music he is one of my heros with Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer. Have you heard that Lungfish album? I think Ian produced it.

Archived