Would I be a douchebag for pulling out of this gig?

Chriss

• Members

Long story (rant) short...

Every year, we play a charity Halloween Ball on a beautiful horse farm in Bedminster, NJ. It's way cool lots of fun, but it's a long, long day for no pay. I do it for the fun and coolness factor.

This year, we've just been informed they are getting a jazz band to "open" for us. This means waiting around, listerning to jazz for at least an hour or so (sorry, I really don't like jazz), and our performance time is greatly reduced.

To me, it makes all the hassle not worth it, and I want to pull out of the gig. Am I being a douchebag for feeling this way?

• Members

i'm in a similar situation kind of.

these guys want me to play in their band at a battle of the bands at their highschool, but the thing is i know a lot of people at the school, haven't played with them and won't until the show, and they suck. should i feel bad for not wanting to play that bad?

and btw, yes, you'll burn in hell. play!

• Members

Originally posted by iwantpedals

i'm in a similar situation kind of.

these guys want me to play in their band at a battle of the bands at their highschool, but the thing is i know a lot of people at the school, haven't played with them and won't until the show, and they suck. should i feel bad for not wanting to play that bad?

and btw, yes, you'll burn in hell. play!

that sounds like the kind of thing that i would just say no to. sounds annoying on way too many levels.

• Members

Originally posted by Chriss

Every year, we play a charity Halloween Ball on a beautiful horse farm in Bedminster, NJ. It's way cool lots of fun, but it's a long, long day for no pay. I do it for the fun and coolness factor.

This year, we've just been informed they are getting a jazz band to "open" for us. This means waiting around, listerning to jazz for at least an hour or so (sorry, I really don't like jazz), and our performance time is greatly reduced.

To me, it makes all the hassle not worth it, and I want to pull out of the gig. Am I being a douchebag for feeling this way?

show up late. problem solved.

• Members

Originally posted by Chriss

are you the only guitar player they know?

would it completely derail the benefit?

if the answer to the above questions is no then don't worry about it.

• Members
Originally posted by Fingermush

:D

I just laughed like Cruella DeVille.
:cool:

I see many of you are of a like mind.

We've done this gig for the past three years and it's always been a rousing success, so the opening act thing is a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned.

If I could show up late I would, but we always get there way early to set up, the other guys in the band are pretty much sticklers about that.

I am irreplacable in this band ( I do all the arranging, difficult guitar parts, lots of lead vocals, etc., plus we do 10-12 original tunes, so a replacement wouldn't be feasible.)

I think that finding another band on a month's notice would not be a problem for them, so there's no guilt there. The only problem might be with my fellow band memebers, our bass player is friends with some of these folks. But I think I'll be able to convince them to go along with pulling out, it's just too much hassle and too much time spent to play for only two sets.

Thank you one and all.

• Members

Originally posted by Acid Test

Tell them you are having wrist surgery and the band is temporarily on hold.

Funny thing is, I almost had wrist surgery a couple of months ago. I had something called deQuervain's tenosynovitis in my right wrist, but they were able to fix it with a cortisone shot instead.

I just told the other guitarist in the band that either the jazz band goes or we go. He put up a little bit of an argument, but came around to my point of view pretty quickly.

• Members

Originally posted by Rob Eadgbe

Halloween is probably second only to NYE in importance as a
paying gig
. Bow out, and never waste a halloween night on a freebie.

+1 ----Plus they have time to find someone else who will do it free.

There are always bands lookin to play benefits. Holloween has always been a great paying college party for us.

Good luck

• Members

I don't think it's a slap that they want an opening band. They probably are so pleased with the past success, that they want to expand the event. Many events do that. Eventually you'll have a whole days of music.

The issue I see here is if they expect you to provide the sound system, forcing you to be there the whole time. If they provided the sound system, then you could show up later.

• Members

Since your band is doing it all for free which includes your time, transport, pack-up and last but not least, performing, how could they have any right to object to you guys canceling.

Ask them to come over to paint your house "For Free" and see what they say.

Or you could say your band just got a paying gig that day and if they can match it, you would be happy to play at the Halloween gig.

Just my $0.02

Garyatrics

• Members

My philosophy is to never back out of a gig once I'm committed, unless I can find a replacement. I don't understand why you're offended by having an opening act (I also don't understand why you don't like jazz, but that's altogether different). I do understand not wanting to play a charity gig, but I don't think it's right to back out for the reasons which you are wanting to.

As for the other guy with the talent show thing, yeah, you're excused for backing out.

• Members

Originally posted by Fingermush

show up late, drunk, and constantly ask for more Monitors in a cheeky british accent.

"I'm from bloo'y Liverpool, by criminy! And me name's Matty! More bloo'y moni'ors and another round on the house!"

I think the gig actually sounds like fun. I've always enjoyed doing gigs where it's a mix of styles. Why are you worried that it's a jazz band? Do you think they'll either upstage you or draw a different crowd?

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

"I'm from bloo'y Liverpool, by criminy! And me name's Matty! More bloo'y moni'ors and another round on the house!"

I think the gig actually sounds like fun. I've always enjoyed doing gigs where it's a mix of styles. Why are you worried that it's a jazz band? Do you think they'll either upstage you or draw a different crowd?

We will indeed be supplying the PA, so we'll have to be there for a long time. I really do this gig for fun, but I don't want to invest what usually turns out to be a 12-14 hour day (including travel time) for only two sets. I particularly don't want to have to sit around listening to jazz, I find it incredibly boring.

• Members

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/earplugs.php

SONIC II HEARING PROTECTORS

P/N 14313 /set of 2

These cleverly designed hearing protectors are just the thing to reduce painful jazz noise, while allowing radio conversation and lower frequency sound to pass. The secret is a filter in the soft rubber plug that will also keep ear canal open allowing pressure equalization as you change altitude. Filters are removable for easy sterilization. Complete with case.

• Members
Originally posted by pinkjimiphoton

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/earplugs.php

SONIC II HEARING PROTECTORS

P/N 14313 /set of 2

These cleverly designed hearing protectors are just the thing to reduce painful jazz noise, while allowing radio conversation and lower frequency sound to pass. The secret is a filter in the soft rubber plug that will also keep ear canal open allowing pressure equalization as you change altitude. Filters are removable for easy sterilization. Complete with case.

Cool. These ones even come with THREE FLANGERS!!!

"Designed to be worn all day without irritation. The unique air cushion and three flange design insures that the ear opening will be sealed effectively despite head and jaw movement. One universal size fits all."
:)

Archived