Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would I be a douchebag for pulling out of this gig?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I be a douchebag for pulling out of this gig?

Long story (rant) short...

Every year, we play a charity Halloween Ball on a beautiful horse farm in Bedminster, NJ. It's way cool lots of fun, but it's a long, long day for no pay. I do it for the fun and coolness factor.

This year, we've just been informed they are getting a jazz band to "open" for us. This means waiting around, listerning to jazz for at least an hour or so (sorry, I really don't like jazz), and our performance time is greatly reduced.

To me, it makes all the hassle not worth it, and I want to pull out of the gig. Am I being a douchebag for feeling this way?

i'm in a similar situation kind of.

these guys want me to play in their band at a battle of the bands at their highschool, but the thing is i know a lot of people at the school, haven't played with them and won't until the show, and they suck. should i feel bad for not wanting to play that bad?

and btw, yes, you'll burn in hell. play!

Comment

Why feel bad for not doing something you aren't obligated to do and (in your eyes at least) is a total waste of your time?
      Animal: I what do! EAT DRUMS!
      [chews on a cymbal]
      Dr. Teeth: No, no, no, no, no, *beat* drums, *beat* drums.

Comment

Originally posted by iwantpedals
        i'm in a similar situation kind of.

these guys want me to play in their band at a battle of the bands at their highschool, but the thing is i know a lot of people at the school, haven't played with them and won't until the show, and they suck. should i feel bad for not wanting to play that bad?

and btw, yes, you'll burn in hell. play!

that sounds like the kind of thing that i would just say no to. sounds annoying on way too many levels.
        www.myspace.com/hothouseband

Comment

can you gracefully suggest that the jazz band do the whole gig??
          originally posted by pontiusplaymate....
          This delicate pie
          Is made
          From bits
          Of the fetus
          That would have been
          Your brother.
          %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?
          %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          LIVESTRONG
          %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          need an ass-load of VST plugins?
          %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          My Lame, Stupid , Stuttering Website
          %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          "The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands ... may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny." -James Madison, Federalist 47

Comment

Originally posted by Chriss

Every year, we play a charity Halloween Ball on a beautiful horse farm in Bedminster, NJ. It's way cool lots of fun, but it's a long, long day for no pay. I do it for the fun and coolness factor.

This year, we've just been informed they are getting a jazz band to "open" for us. This means waiting around, listerning to jazz for at least an hour or so (sorry, I really don't like jazz), and our performance time is greatly reduced.

To me, it makes all the hassle not worth it, and I want to pull out of the gig. Am I being a douchebag for feeling this way?

show up late. problem solved.
            http://www.myspace.com/monocityvibe

Comment

Originally posted by Chriss

are you the only guitar player they know?
              would it completely derail the benefit?

if the answer to the above questions is no then don't worry about it.
              www.myspace.com/hothouseband

Comment

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

show up late. problem solved.

show up late, drunk, and constantly ask for more Monitors in a cheeky british accent.
                Yeah, I saw that outfit being sold in the redundancy department at JC Penny.

Every component has been tweaked to the max.

Comment

Halloween is probably second only to NYE in importance as a paying gig . Bow out, and never waste a halloween night on a freebie.

Comment

or...

just keep yelling "PLAY 'MONSTER MASH!'" during the sax solos!
                    http://www.myspace.com/monocityvibe

Comment

Originally posted by GuyaGuy
                      or...

just keep yelling "PLAY 'MONSTER MASH!'" during the sax solos!

I just laughed like Cruella DeVille.
                      Yeah, I saw that outfit being sold in the redundancy department at JC Penny.

Every component has been tweaked to the max.

Comment

Originally posted by Fingermush

I just laughed like Cruella DeVille.

I see many of you are of a like mind.

We've done this gig for the past three years and it's always been a rousing success, so the opening act thing is a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned.

If I could show up late I would, but we always get there way early to set up, the other guys in the band are pretty much sticklers about that.

I am irreplacable in this band ( I do all the arranging, difficult guitar parts, lots of lead vocals, etc., plus we do 10-12 original tunes, so a replacement wouldn't be feasible.)

I think that finding another band on a month's notice would not be a problem for them, so there's no guilt there. The only problem might be with my fellow band memebers, our bass player is friends with some of these folks. But I think I'll be able to convince them to go along with pulling out, it's just too much hassle and too much time spent to play for only two sets.

Thank you one and all.

Comment

Tell them you want a 180 grand each for headlining.
                          yagetsmeh

http://www.myspace.com/fsota

:- "chicago art rock, sabbath-style drama metal, surf, punk and maybe even early mogwai?!" - or so we're told!

Comment

Tell them you are having wrist surgery and the band is temporarily on hold.
                            Gibson LP Standard, Flying V, Goth II SG w/ EMG 81/85, SG Special, SG Classic w/P-90s, SG Voodoo, SG Special Platinum w/ Lace Arena Pup Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ SD JB/Jazz, SG in walnut w/ Alumitones,
                            Peavey Bravo Head, XXX
                            Carvin MTS-3200, V3, V3M
                            RedStar Audio Blackjack 2x12 cabs
                            Mesa & Madison cabs

Comment

Originally posted by Acid Test
                              Tell them you are having wrist surgery and the band is temporarily on hold.

Funny thing is, I almost had wrist surgery a couple of months ago. I had something called deQuervain's tenosynovitis in my right wrist, but they were able to fix it with a cortisone shot instead.

I just told the other guitarist in the band that either the jazz band goes or we go. He put up a little bit of an argument, but came around to my point of view pretty quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X