Royer Tube Ribbon Mic

fernmeister

• Members

Originally posted by opiepac

I used a Royer 121 when I tracked my violin stuff for my bands latest album. Sounded pretty damn good.

I own a Royer R-121. I LOVE how it makes my amps sound. Incredible mic. There's also the R-122 which is a phantom powered ribbon mic.

• Members

Ribbons are great for recording electric guitar! I've used the Royers and a few AEA R92s and they're both incredible. I don't know all the reasons why they sound great, but I do think the slight high end roll-off really helps. Of course ribbons respond to EQ changes better than most I've worked with.

Of course the first time I heard a ribbon, it was with an excellent guitarist who was recording up at Mercenary Audio , and I thought to myself "all the hype is DEFINATELY deserved, this rocks!"

Of course the second time I heard a ribbon was when I played through that amp/mic. And, yes virginia, there truly is no magic bullet. I still sounded like an average guitarist, just one recorded slightly better.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend that every electric guitarist who records buy a Nady RSM-2 (or Shinybox, they're the same/similar mics). They're new chinese versions (Oktava, which E-H rebrands, is Russian) and can be had for under $150. They're a bit darker and not quite as 3d as the expensive ribbons, but they're rated to handle rocket-level SPLs and I believe will really help other home guitar recordists. They don't have much gain, which will indeed make them hard to use with acoustic instruments and quiet voices, but it's NO issue with my loud amp, even with cheap microphone preamps.

If anyone wants, I can post some clips comparing them to a Senn e609 dynamic mic.

Archived