No announcement yet.

The Muff that Cuts

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Muff that Cuts

Ok... in my somewhat limited experiences over the years with Big Muffs (had a grey Sovtek and also a Creamy Dreamer), I found out that they just don't cut through the band well in a practice setting.

I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. Someone posted a link either here on Guitar Geek to an article where Billy Corgan was talking about hearing a Big Muff for the first time, by the band Catherine in a small neighboring practice space.. and how he just loved the sound how full it was. But after he and James got theirs and tried to use them on stage it was a totally different story (no closed quarters). Fine for small spaces and recording.. bad for live.

Anyways...so I'm thinking I want a Fuzz again, and I'm pretty sure I'm a Muff-type of guy vs a Hendrix or Texas Fuzz type of guy... so give me some recommendations... and ask me questions if I'm missing something.

Top Fuel
    Bob RIP 2005

Tommy RIP 2006

-----------------------
    FOR SALE:

New in box AD-9 first $100 takes her home. Will trade for Golden Cello

Gonkalator 137.26

Modified Chandler Stereo Digital Echo (hate to sell this!) -----> $400.00

Comment

Originally posted by The Gainster
      Top Fuel

I am getting one real soon, the only question left is "what color?"

Check the clips link in gainsters sig, the Top Fuel is what you want.
      The sun isn't yellow, it's chicken

Comment

Hmm.. wish some of the clips on the site showed some more rhythmy sounds.

Comment

what about getting the EHX graphic fuzz?

you can tailor the EQ to exactly what you need to cut through.

"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way."
          --- Bertrand Russell
          __ _ __ _ __

my music
          A&A Myspace

Comment

Here's the Corgan article you're talking about:

http://billycorgan.com/confession13.html

Comment

Haven't used it in a full on band setting, but I'd have trouble believing that the foxey fuzz doesn't cut through.
              “Immortal” poets have bemoaned divine aggression against man’s puny shape.
              Tell me about reality noble bards, as your flesh confetti floats across the abyss!
              Being is this clash; it is spilled blood churning through the heart of Ghost Cheetah.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker
                Here's the Corgan article you're talking about:

http://billycorgan.com/confession13.html

good read.

Comment

I just ordered the Top Fuel. I will post my findings when I get it!

Comment

The Top Fuel is very interersting.
                    I think using a Comp with the Muff helps on stage!

Comment

Top Fuel does sound interesting. So did the Mayonaise.

I've also heard some clips of certain settings of the Fuzz Factory that I liked (not too into the octave overtone thing though) that sounded like they might be able to cut thru well.

I don't know... i'm kinda helping some guys on a project now that probably isn't gonna require much in the way of fuzziness, and I don't know if it'll result in doing any shows or not... grr... indecision.

Comment

Originally posted by iodine74
                        Top Fuel does sound interesting. So did the Mayonaise.

I've also heard some clips of certain settings of the Fuzz Factory that I liked (not too into the octave overtone thing though) that sounded like they might be able to cut thru well.

I don't know... i'm kinda helping some guys on a project now that probably isn't gonna require much in the way of fuzziness, and I don't know if it'll result in doing any shows or not... grr... indecision.

The fuzz factory is pretty cool. I played my friends over the weekend. I liked some of the sounds but it seemed like it is definately not a beginner fuzz. Difficult to control.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeless Romantic

The fuzz factory is pretty cool. I played my friends over the weekend. I liked some of the sounds but it seemed like it is definately not a beginner fuzz. Difficult to control.
                          Yeah; you really have to have the Fuzz Factory first in your chain, or it's likely to go insane on you (if you feed it a buffered effect, its parameters totally change, and it could do a self-oscillation thing when you don't want it to). What I do with a Fuzz Factory is set it on top of my amp, and plug my guitar into it (then the rest of my chain of course). That way it's up where I can tweek the knobs if--no, when--I have to. The Weezer green album uses a Fuzz Factory for a couple of solos. It cuts and has infinite sustain (or whatever, depending on how you set it up). Also will do overdrive and tone-bendery stuff, not just craziness. Most of the tones seem to have a bit of an edge to them, plus it's usually kinda noisy, so I wouldn't use it as a 'regular' rhythm dirtbox. But it's hands-down the most over-the-top infinite-sustain solo fuzz and very cool at that.
                          "The everyday practice is simply to develop a complete acceptance and openness to all situations and emotions, and to all people, experiencing everything totally without mental reservations and blockages, so that one never withdraws or centralizes into oneself. This produces a tremendous energy which usually is locked up in the process of mental evasion and a general running away from life experiences." --Dilgo Kyhentse, Rinpoche

Comment

Originally posted by skr3ddy
                            Yeah; you really have to have the Fuzz Factory first in your chain, or it's likely to go insane on you (if you feed it a buffered effect, its parameters totally change, and it could do a self-oscillation thing when you don't want it to). What I do with a Fuzz Factory is set it on top of my amp, and plug my guitar into it (then the rest of my chain of course). That way it's up where I can tweek the knobs if--no, when--I have to. The Weezer green album uses a Fuzz Factory for a couple of solos. It cuts and has infinite sustain (or whatever, depending on how you set it up). Also will do overdrive and tone-bendery stuff, not just craziness. Most of the tones seem to have a bit of an edge to them, plus it's usually kinda noisy, so I wouldn't use it as a 'regular' rhythm dirtbox. But it's hands-down the most over-the-top infinite-sustain solo fuzz and very cool at that.

Yeah, I initially put it behind a Zoom Ultra Fuzz. I then figured out the Zoom wasn't true bypass. After I moved it to the front it was a lot more controllable but still pretty crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeless Romantic

Yeah, I initially put it behind a Zoom Ultra Fuzz. I then figured out the Zoom wasn't true bypass. After I moved it to the front it was a lot more controllable but still pretty crazy.

whoa - a Fuzz Factory in front of a Zoom Ultra Fuzz - that sounds like it would make kittens explode on contact.
                              "If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way."
                              --- Bertrand Russell
                              __ _ __ _ __

my music
                              A&A Myspace

Comment

Working...
                              X