Danelectro contest : Dan Echo vs. "Reel" Tape Echo

DylanWilde

• Members

So which one of these is actually overall better, and which one is the best deal for the money? I am really interested in these two pedals, and I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to get the Tape Reel, or I should just simply get the DanEcho, as many seem to love it.

• Members

I prefer the Wasabi Forward/Reverse to either of these, primarily because of the flexibility. My second choice would be the Reel Echo, primarily because I like the sound quality of it more than the DanEcho or the Wasabi. The DanEcho would be my third choice, but it's still a helluva pedal.

I'll probably end up with all three.

• Members

Originally posted by Chris Nuccio

I'd probably say exactly what he said.

Though I do prefer the tone of the Dan-Echo and Reel a bit more than the Wasabi, I still think the wasabi is the most practical delay and it does sound great.

I agree. The Wasabi is not the best-sounding of the three--just the most flexible.

• Members

the Dan Echo is pretty amazing....It has become my delay of choice for soloing....I have a DD3 I use for more "specialized" or longer dealys....but the Dan Echo is just perfect....I love analog delays and this sounds very close and for the price - well, its simply in a class by itself, IMO.....My favorite pedal right now....

• Members

Originally posted by ZepFuzz05

So which one of these is actually overall better, and which one is the best deal for the money? I am really interested in these two pedals, and I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to get the Tape Reel, or I should just simply get the DanEcho, as many seem to love it.

i have the same thought.. ;)

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by tocs100

Wht are the sizes of the Dan Echo and the Reel Echo? (I seem to recall a pic of the Dan Echo as a big, light blue thing...pedalboard pics for reference anyone?)

I have both.

Actually, the Dan-Echo is sort of a lavender colour. It's bigger than a BOSS box; more the size of a Mojo Vibe.

The Reel-Echo is bigger than an ADA Flanger...ahem..."Reel Estate"

(No pics, but that should give you a refrence.)

That being said, they both sound great.

These boxes manage to catch the Tape vibe rather well, without all the problems.

The slider on the Reel-Echo is easier to adjust on the fly; in fact it's sort of set up like an Echoplex. The warble effect doesn't sound so hot on a SS Amp; it's best thorough a tube amp.

There's more knobs on the Dan-Echo, and harder to adjust on the fly.

Archived