Does anyone know the Sonic Youth effect on the intro to Diamond Sea?

andrewgil

• Members

I've heard that a MuTron Phaser was used. I saw them on the Washing Machine Tour - one of the greatest shows I've ever seen - and I don't recall a giant podium of a pedal being used. Maybe the MuTron was used for live settings. I've been able to get that sound from some phasers and also from Boss's brown AutoWah thing that has the vowels presets.

• Members

Originally posted by converge

why isn't anybody cloning that monster?

Because some big giant suitcase thing isn't likely to sell in enough numbers to make the R&D worth it. Besides, given when it dates from the circuit design probably needs some impossible to find electronic component like nixie tubes or something.

• Members

On the Electro-Harmonix site there are some samples of the what the Flanger Hoax can do.

http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F01%5FNew%5FProducts%2F07%5FThe%5FFlanger%5FHoax%2F11%5FGerry+Leonard

If you click on Resonance 1 from the above site, it will give you a sound somewhat like that from the Diamond Sea. Just imagine turning the rate down a little.

• Members

Originally posted by tim gueguen

Because some big giant suitcase thing isn't likely to sell in enough numbers to make the R&D worth it. Besides, given when it dates from the circuit design probably needs some impossible to find electronic component like nixie tubes or something.

I really doubt it needs to be that big. And as far as parts, you'd be suprised. The vast majority of FX pedals use mundane parts, sometimes the odd BBD IC or other stuff like that.

It would take somebody to buy one and dismantle it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Does anyone know the Sonic Youth effect on the intro to Diamond Sea? Effects. ... I've heard that a MuTron Phaser was used?????

I bought a Mu-Tron Phaser II today, from Rick King @ Guitar Maniacs in Tacoma, Washington. He let me test drive it for the day, along with a Small Stone EH4800 Phase Shifter. I'm Playing a Strat into a whirlwind signal splitter, and then clean into a 69 silverface Fender Bassman. The other signal now runs to the Phaser II, then into a Maxon custom tubescreamer with the silver mod from Analogman.com, and into a 69 Silverface modified to Blackface Twin Reverb. The Small Stone costs $70, and sucks. Mainly because you could hear a flange wave swooshing back and forth. The Mu-Tron Phaser II is the smoothest phase shifter ever. It cost me $300, and sounds Freakin Awesome!!!

When I was buying it, Rick told me I'd sound like Sonic Youth using the pedal. So I asked him if he had sold them the same pedal. And he said that he had, to Thurston Moore. He went on to say that when they come to town they like to go to his store, and The Southern Kitchen Restaurant on 6th Ave. Diamond Sea came out in 1995, so I'll have to ask him if he sold it to him prior to that. I listened to the song and it sure sounds like my new pedal. I know that Rick sold Kurt Cobain the effects pedal he used in Come As You Are, so it wouldn't surprise me. I'm stoked to have one. Great pedal!

Good luck finding one for $300. You only get that price if you're lucky enough to live near an amazing guitar shop such as this, and it was his last and only one. I didn't see any on Ebay. I found a low-fi Musitronics website that claimed to have a couple of them for sale for $499 a piece.

• Members

You guys are wrong. I get that exact tone out of The Mu-Tron. And I know the guy who sold Thurston Moore the pedal.

m_9b8e527eb6753a6cf31c324888c7d8b1.jpg

I wasn't able to find anything on sonicyouth.com that said a Ludwig Phase II was used to record Diamond Sea in 1994/95. and I checked the gearology extensively. I'm curious, do either of you guys have a Ludwig Phase II to compare to? Because I'd be surprised to hear, that it sounds exactly like a Mu-Tron Phasor II.

When you get to the 1800's, be sure to commit suicide...

Archived