Switches: Momentary vs. Latching?

IAmAScientist

• Members

I'd assume you just buy exactly the same type of switch, but with a momentary feature? I can't imagine it'd be anything complex...

What he said.

You're not changing the wiring (unless you want it to bypass when you stomp it), you're just changing the type of switch.

There's some great reading to be found on the web (diystompboxes etc). Helped me a lot.

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

What pedal is it, and what are you trying to do?

/Andreas

I want to take a Boss TR-2 Tremelo pedal and make the switch momentary so it only turns on when I have my foot on the pedal. That way I can get bursts of tremelo without double stomping.

• Members

That will take some doing, then... the switch in the Boss (as in any pedal with electronic switching) is already momentary. It doesn't actually switch anything - it only creates a pulse to make the electronic switching circuit flip over (to/from bypass state). The trick you're after is only do-able on a pedal with mechanical switching (those that have a circular stomp switch that goes "clunk" when you step on it) - for instance, in an MXR or Electro-Harmonix, all you'd have to do is replace the existing switch with its momentary counterpart, and you'd be set.

But with a Boss pedal, the best way to do this would be to build a separate true bypass box, using a momentary DPDT switch instead of the customary latching version, and run the TR-2 from there.

/Andreas

• Members

But with a Boss pedal, the best way to do this would be to build a separate true bypass box, using a momentary DPDT switch instead of the customary latching version, and run the TR-2 from there.

/Andreas

If I had a Keeley True Bypass Looper, could I change the switch in it from a latching switch to a momentary switch?

• Members

Sure, but I doubt you will find a momentary 3PDT (which would be the exact counterpart to the one in the box), so you'd have to settle for a DPDT and lose the LED. Not that you'd need an LED anyway - you don't need a light to tell you you have your foot on the pedal...

Also, check out www.loooper.com - if RK doesn't have time to build you a loop box with a momentary switch already in it, Dave Boggs should be able to do it for you. Or, if you want to go DIY, you can purchase a kit [edit: I thought BYOC had TB loop box kits, but apparently not. There are kits out there, though - you should be able to google it] - check with the seller if you can substitute the 3PDT for a momentary DPDT (if he doesn't have any in stock, you can always get one from www.smallbearelec.com).

/Andreas

• Members

Sure, but I doubt you will find a momentary 3PDT (which would be the exact counterpart to the one in the box), so you'd have to settle for a DPDT and lose the LED. Not that you'd need an LED anyway - you don't need a light to tell you you have your foot on the pedal...

Also, check out
www.loooper.com
- if RK doesn't have time to build you a loop box with a momentary switch already in it, Dave Boggs should be able to do it for you. Or, if you want to go DIY, you can purchase a kit [edit: I thought BYOC had TB loop box kits, but apparently not. There are kits out there, though - you should be able to google it] - check with the seller if you can substitute the 3PDT for a momentary DPDT (if he doesn't have any in stock, you can always get one from
www.smallbearelec.com
).

/Andreas

Thanks, I'll look into all of this.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Knitter make momentary 3PDTs and (I think) momentary 4PDTs - Banzai has them if you ask, or at least used to. They're not as robust as a Blue 3PDT but with some care they're fine for the job. Or use an SPST momentary (there are good tough ones) and a relay.

There are a lot of good websites that explain how all these things work. Do you know of any books that explain circuitry, relays, switches, etc., that I could look into so I don't have to take every question I've got to HCFX?

Archived