How to polish those hammond enclosures?

Robbert

• Members

This is polished to a chrome-like finish, except that it was not sanded first to eliminate the blemishes in the casting...

TourboxFace.jpg

It was done, I believe, with standard metal-polishing equipment; which is, I assume, a big, cloth polishing wheel (mounted on a bench grinder) using polishing compound (powdery stuff).

If a person were to properly sand the box first, I do believe it could be buffed to a virtually flawless, mirrorlike finish. I've seen a Zvex nano amp that was just so.

• Members

Originally posted by LongJohnny

The bad thing about most aluminum enclosures is that they are made from a very low grade stock. They can be polished up to a point, and look very good, but not mirror like usually.

John

I know ;) I don't need a mirror, I just want the enclosure to look a lot better then it does now :D

• Members

Originally posted by Robbert

I know
;)
I don't need a mirror, I just want the enclosure to look a lot better then it does now
:D

Then this is what you do, and it take a long while to do it, and you'll be wet sanding with a mix of water and soap. Something that doesn't leave a residue. I like clear unsented antibacterial soap. Start with a 800 grit sand paper going in one direction. Then move up to a 1000 grit, and the 2000. All going in the same direction. After you are finished sanding wash the enclosure with soap and water. Dry really good with a non lint towel. If you don't dry it well it will leave water spots, and use rubber gloces to keep finger prints off. Then clear coat it.

• Members

Sand it just like everyone said, with gradually finer grits, and then get a little buffing wheel & arbor from the hardware store, put the buffing wheel in your drill, spin it up, apply some metal polishing compound, and buff that sucker out. John's right, it may not look like a mirror, but it will definitely be reflective.

• Members

Originally posted by Diende McAuk

I agree with the wet sanding procedure but to get the best results you should use an airboard or random orbit sander. That helps to avoid any circular scratches you get with hand finishing

Call me lazy....

$15 at the platers and it is chromed!

Sorry! Getting old!

:wave: :wave:

• Members

Here's what I did.

Cleaned it well with lighter fluid (naptha). Then used a wire wheel attachment on a dremel. After you get the oxidized aluminum off it'll start to shine up. I touched the box so that the wheel would make a circular mark, repeated this over then entire top until it looked even. Then a shot or 2 of clear coat, & done. I think it came out good.

Don't have a close up pic tho.

Archived