Peavy Valveverb WTF

john l

• Members

I never thought that Id have a piece of peavy gear turned on while my lexicon processor is collecting dust. Ive been looking for the ultimate reverb for my Uberschall and I finally found it with a discontinued peavy rack!lol. The high gain channel of my amp is unforgiving with processors and pedals so Ive been on this year long search for a good reverb, old Fender Units, TC electronics, and numerous Lexicons have been totally done in by something that costs a fraction of the price and is housed in one rack space. Its all tube driven + tremelo to boot. Too Funny.

• Members

That's a classic awesome unit. I suspect in a few years people will be hunting them down for big dough.

I've been amazed at what a little spring reverb can do. Every 100 dollar amp had a spring reverb tank in it up until about 2000, so its surprising how a spring reverb can whop the fancy digital units. Amp modeling has come a long way, but there's not much out there that does a convincing spring reverb

I got a Danelectro Spring King for 30 bucks. It brought my rig to life in a way nothing else has: http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/Bee2.mp3

• Members

I hear that, but the wierd thing is that Ive tried other spring units and couldnt switch between the clean and lead channels without twisting some knobs, I can have the clip light on the whole time with the Peavy and it still sounds freakin great! All the other spring units went nuts. Im just glad I found something that can get along with the Uber.

• Members

Originally posted by skr3ddy

What are those things going for? I've wanted one for years. Was it an eBay find?

I was interested in one several years ago when you could see that they were quickly becoming a cult classic. I beleive there are a few mods to improve it's performance too; one was to do with signal output I recall.

Anyway, I think one in almost new condition were selling for about $300-350 back then...but my memory ain't the best so take that with a grain.

It's funny how Peavey have really come out with a few underground gems like this and the Revolution, C20, Classic Duel etc. Wonder they don't reissue some of them.:confused:

• Members

I`ve got two Valverbs but the line level ins make them noisy when used before amps like instrument level pedals.

The tremolo part of the Valverb is seducing.

Two other good tube based (and discontinued) Peavey boxes,

the VMP-2 mic pre and the VC-L-2 compressor

peaveyvmp21.gif

VC-L-2.jpg

• Members

I went looking for these a few years back. When they were discontinued, you could pick them up new in the 100-150 range, by the time I wanted one they were running 300+ on ebay. I beleive they are still running around 300 on ebay and elsewhere.

What I found out is that the the Peavey Delta Blues amp was designed by the same guy as the Valverb, and comes with tube powered reverb and trem. I picked one up at the time for $250. So you can pay $300 for a reverb and trem preamp, or get the whole reverb trem, power amp, speaker(s) deal for a little less dough.....

• Members

They are a terrific reverb unit. And the trem aint bad either.

There's a very few that come in a nice 1 rack unit tweed case that's to die for!

Also, if you find it to be too "boingy" (only complaint some people have with this unit), there's an easy mod you can do with a few magnets. No need to solder or anything. Just a screwdriver, a few fridge magnets, and glue.

• Members

Those pics are totally different then the one I scored. Mines all chrome like the control panel on Tweed Fenders and just one rack space. I know that peavy reissued it in the early 90's and mines the 80's. I dont use the trem and the reverb at the same time so I dont mind the volume drop as I just adjust out when used.

My buddies at GO GO Guitars in Long Beach gave it to me for doing some work on the shop and had aready retubed it. What a score.

Archived