Greco Guitars ... anybody know much about them?

• Members

I have a Greco SG from around 1990, and I also owned a Greco LP Custom copy from around 1982. Both really, really good instruments - the LP was a bit ugly finish wise (major clownburst), and very heavy. But boy, it played and sounded like heaven - 2nd best LP that I've owned.

The consensus is that most Greco's from the 80's forward are pretty damn good. They also made some nice ones in the 70's as well - but they also made some really shaky cheap clones as well during this time, so be careful.

• Members

Originally posted by Barryj61

I have a Greco SG from around 1990, and I also owned a Greco LP Custom copy from around 1982. Both really, really good instruments - the LP was a bit ugly finish wise (major clownburst), and very heavy. But boy, it played and sounded like heaven - 2nd best LP that I've owned.

The consensus is that most Greco's from the 80's forward are pretty damn good. They also made some nice ones in the 70's as well - but they also made some really shaky cheap clones as well during this time, so be careful.

Gotcha ... yeah I've got serious SG gas right now and the recent Gibson standard I tried was not very nice ... it was brand new US made and would not stay in tune or intonate correctly ... so I was looking around at copies ... any suggestions?

• Members

Originally posted by magentaplacenta

Most of what you see on ebay are the lower-end ones, which personally I would avoid. You really need to do some research if you're interested in getting a good one. Head on over to
www.tokaiforum.com,
register, hang out, ask questions, read posts for a good 6 months before you even consider buying one.

You mean a Gibson or a Greco or just any SG copy?

• Members

I've had a few Greco's and they are a bit hit and miss.

I have a Greco Flying V from 1983 and it's amazing. There was a period starting around 1981 to about 1989 I think when they made the 'Mint Collection'. These are generally regarded as being the best Greco's available and they were identical copies of Gibson guitars, down to the last details.

It's best to get one from this period. It's easy to do because Greco's are easy to date from their serial number.

If you have any question about them feel free to ask, I feel reasonably qualified in the Greco guitar area!

• Members

Originally posted by stompboxx

I've had a few Greco's and they are a bit hit and miss.

I have a Greco Flying V from 1983 and it's amazing. There was a period starting around 1981 to about 1989 I think when they made the 'Mint Collection'. These are generally regarded as being the best Greco's available and they were identical copies of Gibson guitars, down to the last details.

It's best to get one from this period. It's easy to do because Greco's are easy to date from their serial number.

If you have any question about them feel free to ask, I feel reasonably qualified in the Greco guitar area!

Sweet, .... I wonder if there is a specific Greco forum hmmm ... I might try the guitar forum also .... :eek:

• Members

I think older Japanese guitars are somewhat collectable. They seem to be going up in price. I've got a very nice Orville Gold Top Les Paul. Great guitar. I've upgraded the hardware, pots and pickups, but I've also kept the original parts should I want to sell it at some point.

taco

• Members

In regard to value I have no idea. I have a Greco Supersounds (70's strat copy) It is a really nice guitar in regard to how it is put together. The neck feels REALLY nice. The fret material is a bit softer than US guitars so they groove easily. The body of this guitar is laminent. Not plywood or veneer but two pieces sandwiched together like plywood. Otherwise a really cool guitar.

• Members

My understanding:

Super Real were made for 2 years: 1980-1981. They're also marked "Super Real" in the "Les Paul" script on the headstock. These are generally THE BEST replicas and harder to come by. I would personally buy one via ebay, i.e., without playing it. Of course the price on these is the highest.

Mint Collection were made during the rest of the 80s from 1982 to 1989-90 (not exactly sure on cutoff). I could possibly see myself picking one up via ebay, i.e., without playing it as long as it was a higher-end model.

Furthermore, there are also model numbers, which relate to the selling price, i.e., an EG 450 sold for 45,000 yen when it was brand new. A EGF 1200 sold for 120,000 yen when it was brand new (and is also a flametop).

The lower end ones tend to be semi-hollow/chambered bodies, where the higher-end ones are solid bodies.

I saw a Mint Collection EG 1000 (John Sykes model) on ebay a while ago. Someone beat me to the buy-it-now. I found it, then literally came back to it a bit later and someone had bought it. Kicking myself for that one, that's one of the higher end models and I could have been beaten on it by literally a couple minutes.

Also, Orville's (Orville By Gibson are the ones you want) are out of control now, there are no good buys on those anymore, you might as well save another $2-300 and get a real used Gibby LP. Word is definitely out on them and prices have REALLY gone up the past couple of years. Word isn't quite out as much on Grecos yet, but it's certainly getting there. Now is the time to get one, cuz they won't be getting any cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by magentaplacenta

The lower end ones tend to be semi-hollow/chambered bodies, where the higher-end ones are solid bodies.

I saw a Mint Collection EG 1000 (John Sykes model) on ebay a while ago. Someone beat me to the buy-it-now. I found it, then literally came back to it a bit later and someone had bought it. Kicking myself for that one, that's one of the higher end models and I could have been beaten on it by literally a couple minutes.

Also, Orville's (Orville By Gibson are the ones you want) are out of control now, there are no good buys on those anymore, you might as well save another $2-300 and get a real used Gibby LP. Word is definitely out on them and prices have REALLY gone up the past couple of years. Word isn't quite out as much on Grecos yet, but it's certainly getting there. Now is the time to get one, cuz they won't be getting any cheaper.

The MINT COLLECTION Greco models are all solid bodies (no chambers).. even the 450 and 550 models can be nice guitars with brazilian rosewood boards. The Mint Collection Series are as good or often better than any of the Orvilles (since both line were made by Fuji Gengakki) It would seem that Gibson took notice of the Mint Collection models and were prompted to approach FG about building a licensed line. I've owned a bunch of Greco's and Orvilles and I find the Greco stuff to be more accurate to the vintage Gib spec than the Orville's too. The Sykes model came in two flavors EGC-55 and EGC-65, listing for 55,000 and 65,000 yen respectively. I have a 55 model and it is really nice.

Here's a nice '82 EGF-1200 with fret edge binding, no less.

s0807jp-img600x450-1151745149eg_382.jpg

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Hi.

Please, forgive me for practicing necromancy with this ancient post, but it seems like the scholars from the Greco Brotherhood are gathering here :cool03:

Can you identify the 1970's Greco Stratocaster at this ad? I've contacted the vendor and he says that it has no serial number.

https://www.guitarthai.com/classified/question.asp?QID=1560586

He is asking $345. Do you think it's a good price?

• Members

The big metal truss rod cover dates it to the early 70's. It wouldn't surprise me if it was made of plywood. You have to remember that in the early 70's they were all about the same quality from the major builders. (Ibanez, Aria, Greco, Tokai, etc.) If it played stupidly well, then maybe 300. I doubt it will play that well, since the fret are sure to be worn.

• Members

IO don't think many even came close to being 300 in the 70's. Heck I bought my LP gold top deluxe slightly used for $350. Why would you buy a cheaply built import for more then $100.

In the later 70's during the clone wars Japan was pushing really hard to capture some market share by using high quality materials and good building techniques. Many had thinner necks which I contribute to the builders having smaller hands? Companies like Univox were able to edge their prices up in the $200 and they were actually built quite well. Kramer and Ibanez didn't really hit the markets till the mid to Late 80's. There were plenty of cheap knockoffs but the clones weren't picked up by music stores because they were dealerships for the major manufacturers and feared being sued for selling clones.

Archived