Maxon OD808 as Boost?

jasonpaul

• Members

Thanks but I mean barney style here... Is the pedal going through the fx loop or the front input? Will this boost the amp's original distortion? Sorry for the stupid questions but I've been in the Marines the last 6 years and now that I'm out I got the half stack I wanted and I'm just not proficient with it yet!

Thanks

• Members

Use it in front of the amp. Works great in front of the gain channel of your amp to give it extra sustain and boost. Works great in front of the clean channel as well as a bluesy sound. Real nice warm pedal. I use a maxon od-9 myself which is pretty much the same thing. Plug your guitar into the pedal, then into the amp's input. Dial up a nice crunch tone on the amp and then on the pedal turn the drive up to about 9 or 10 o'clock, the tone at noon, and the level at about 3 o'clock, then start burnin'.

• Members

I use an OD-9 before my amp to goose it for more gain, sustain, etc... especially with the drive channel on my amp. When I need a volume boost, I have an mxr micro amp in the FX loop set slightly louder for leads. An eq works well in the loop also for this. If your using the od-9 as you only source of gain, and not the amp's distortion, I would put a clean boost, like the micro amp, rc booster, katana, or whatever, and place it right after your od-9 before the amp. If your using the amp's gain channel, the clean boost will not give you more volume, only more saturation. I use my amp's gain channel, so that's why I keep the clean boost in the loop, this way I get a volume boost.

• Members

What amp are you runnin?

I've only got a Marshall combo TSL602 (60w valve - suits what we're doin in the band at the moment) It's a 3 channel amp, clean, crunch and lead - I'm very happy with it, then I heard the Bluesbreaker. I don't really need the clean channel, and find that the lead channel is too thin. So I've hooked it up to an Ibanez 808 re-issue, and absolutely fell in love with the sound, especially on the clean channel (almost like the bluesbreaker combo) Can't wait to hook up Analogman's Maxon. Now, I just leave the tubey on, but I need that extra lead option for solos. I was actually lookin into the EQ option already, but will check the other options out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived